Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Old 10-17-2012, 11:27 PM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Extra wood is always welcome. Food is totally up to you. It's a potluck, so bring something everyone can enjoy.

I'll be bringing a Pork/Chicken Green Chili (Gluten Free) and chips, cheese, tortillas. I will have my grill as well. Everyone is welcome to throw something on there.

TLCA Social Media
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 10-21-2012, 10:39 AM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks Stan for making this happen. Run was great. Food was excellent. 7 trucks in total.
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2012, 11:27 AM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks for the warm welcome and great run everyone!
Old 10-21-2012, 08:37 PM
Wincher

Fishy
The more I think about what you encountered, the more I think about how you may have saved his life. I know that allowing someone into your rig, especially as disoriented as he was, could have been dangerous. BUT some of his disorientation could have been due to hypothermia. Allowing him to warm up in your rig could have saved his life.

Personally I give you an attaboy.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:49 PM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerdo View Post
Fishy
The more I think about what you encountered, the more I think about how you may have saved his life. I know that allowing someone into your rig, especially as disoriented as he was, could have been dangerous. BUT some of his disorientation could have been due to hypothermia. Allowing him to warm up in your rig could have saved his life.

Personally I give you an attaboy.
I appreciate that, and you may be right. My wife feels like we were there for a reason. Who knows? Leaving the guy there was out of the question. We thought about what could have happened if we weren't right there at that exact time. He was already worn down, and he had about 5 or 6 miles to go still. (If he happened to walked in the right direction)

The sun was getting high enough that he probably would have warmed up even if we never showed up. But, the highs were only in the 40's that day. At that temperature and with the snow on the ground a mere slip or a twisted ankle may have ended his life.

I'm thankful we were there and I hope if meth was involved, this was a wake up call for him.

TLCA Social Media
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 10-22-2012, 03:59 PM
Rock Stacker

x2 what Gerdo said. I think it's likely you saved this guys life. When people suffer from hypothermia they start feeling hot and actually start shedding jackets and clothes. That he didn't have a clear mind makes sense if his core temp was too low.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did something like wheel while drinking and didn't want anyone to find out about it. Hence the questionable information that folks were giving out. It would also help explain the rollover on a mild trail like Barbour Fork.

Thanks for relaying the story. Great story and good food for thought. With hindsight it would have been good to call the local authorities or 911 as soon as you felt things might be getting unsafe. It's pretty common for folks to think that we're bothering LEOs and that we should only make one phone call when we are seconds from something really bad but calling sooner and adding more information later if needed can really help prevent things from turning south.

Really glad everyone was OK, especially your family. Good for you for doing the right thing. The world would be a pretty bad place if people didn't help each other out. I stop and help people often on the trail and pavement. I've lost count but it's easily in the dozens of times and while I may run into a wacko someday I'm already proving the odds of running into a dangerous person is pretty low. There's been more than one time that I stopped to see if someone needed help to find a woman in tears, fearful of a creepo that might do harm. I like that I'm there to help out and be the good soul to help and protect.

I think you helping is something to be proud of. Your kids will likely remember and your courage can become their courage. What you learn from this also is a gift for them.

Good going man!

2001 4Runner SR5 Auto - Armorology Front Bumper, Warn M8000, 1/2" Technora line, - Toytec coilovers - OME 851s w/Bilsteins - Yokohama Geolandar MT+ 305/70R16 - F&R ARB lockers - Stubbs HD-SKO Sliders - Engel 15 Freezer - Low profile cargo - Laptop mount - Thule roof basket - Viper 5900 remote start - Cobra 8WSXTII CB Radio - Stainless 304 rear bumper and tire carrier w/chainsaw mount.