Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 01-23-2013, 09:33 PM
Lifted

Default Someone pulled my trigger. New FJ40.

I put up a pretty generic craigslist ad looking to trade my 80 for a 40. I've mentioned on here multiple times I have 40 envy, and have had all kinds of cockamamie ideas on the matter. I wanted to put my nice 60 drivetrain into a non running low rust 40. That didn't happen. Actually the opposite happened. Found a nice guy who traded me my 80 for his running 40. It has a good amount of rust mitigation to be done still, although the previous owners have worked on it some already. 1975, crate 350 still in the break in period, 4speed, but it's louder than my 60s 4 speed (maybe this is normal, maybe it'll need help soon), some lift, some rust, hardtop, pretty much complete according to my limited 40 knowledge. Definitely driveable as is.

I need some stock looking steelies, and I'd love to adjust the 4 drum brakes for a bit more anti-oomph. Maybe that's impossible, and means sourcing front discs. I'd love one of you 40 gurus to look it over with me and help point out any more issues and help me learn a bit about it. Also, any tips on doing some body-on rust mitigation on the frame and undercarriage? No nasty rot down there, but lots of surface rust. Some rot on the tub and fenders of course....

Bruce seems to be a good guy, and I told him about the club so hopefully well get to meet him soon.

So excited! Pics in the a.m.

Matt

Last edited by loudbay; 01-23-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:37 PM

If you want to come up my way tomorrow, I'll be adjusting mine and installing the brake booster that should arrive tomorrow. I'm no stranger to dual cylinder drums.

Also, what's the deal with all the trigger pulling thread titles all of a sudden? A quick glance at the chat section led to a little confusion in my poor addled brain...
Old 01-23-2013, 09:38 PM

Not an expert but would like to offer any of my knowledge
desmogged 2f, 4 speed
TLCA #21898
Old 01-23-2013, 09:44 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre6000 View Post
If you want to come up my way tomorrow, I'll be adjusting mine and installing the brake booster that should arrive tomorrow. I'm no stranger to dual cylinder drums.

Also, what's the deal with all the trigger pulling thread titles all of a sudden? A quick glance at the chat section led to a little confusion in my poor addled brain...
Hey, you started it with your thread
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 01-23-2013, 10:02 PM

I know! That's what had me confused. All the posts disappeared and everything was different... Twice!
Old 01-23-2013, 10:06 PM
Lifted

Dang Spectre, thanks a lot, but I've got to work tomorrow, and I'd like to address the brakes here down in the flats before heading up your way. Nothing like dying in a new truck...

Big City, if you're in Denver, let's make plans for a beer after my in-laws leave town.

Screw it, I'm going outside for a bad night time pic...
Old 01-23-2013, 10:09 PM
Rising Sun Member

A bad night pic is better than no pic at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudbay View Post
Dang Spectre, thanks a lot, but I've got to work tomorrow, and I'd like to address the brakes here down in the flats before heading up your way. Nothing like dying in a new truck...

Big City, if you're in Denver, let's make plans for a beer after my in-laws leave town.

Screw it, I'm going outside for a bad night time pic...
78 FJ40, Rear Locker, 33's, power steering, sbc and so much more left to do.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:12 PM

I sent a PM, then saw the response (brakes are kinda important up this way... wasn't sure how bad you were)... Now I have to keep the laptop open a little longer for the pic(s)...
Old 01-23-2013, 10:13 PM
Lifted

Here she is. I'm thinking maybe, Alice... As in 'down the rabbit hole'. Is there another Alice here in the club?

Cheers,
m.
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2013, 10:15 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre6000 View Post
I sent a PM, then saw the response (brakes are kinda important up this way... wasn't sure how bad you were)... Now I have to keep the laptop open a little longer for the pic(s)...
Thanks again! I'll be up your way ASAP!