Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 11-01-2012, 05:25 AM

I'll definitely look at that tomorrow. I know it gets tight as is due to the cross member and parking brake. Thanks
desmogged 2f, 4 speed
TLCA #21898
Old 11-01-2012, 07:35 AM
Rising Sun member

The 4spd will be longer than the 3spd in any case, whether from a 40 or a 60.

Here's a link from MUD on the parts:
http://www.toepper.net/Landcruiser%2...conversion.htm

Here's another good article covering transfer cases:
http://www.kinzers.com/don/landcruiser/tcase_tech/

More:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series...tml#post884223

http://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wa...tinctions.html

I think the spline count is the same for all trannies intended to mount to F-series engines, but lengths may be different, or diameters in some cases. I'm sure if you search MUD you will find the answers...
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 11-01-2012, 08:27 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcity25 View Post
Well I certainly appreciate the advice. The 4 speed came off of a 60 so it will be back at home on a 2f again. And I got all the pinion flanges and 4 speed drive shafts. .
i know there is a transition gear, datsun bearing and pto spacer shaft when swapping a 3spd tcase to a early 4spd case. i do not think this works with the fj60 cases. also, you would be taking a step backwards by swapping the three speed case behind the 60 trans...the 3spd case has lower gearing, but is a weaker housing.

driveshafts will definitely have to be modified to work. if you do get 3spd case to fj60 trans, you will have a lot of shortening to do. if you go with split case and 60 d/s, you will have to shorten and have the flange on the axle side converted or go to a round course flange drilled custom. or you could swap to newer fine spline gears and use the 60 flange at the pinion or a universal round flange drilled to fit
ige tlca #1431
Old 11-01-2012, 08:34 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
I'll definitely fill your fridge with a quality beverage of your choice.
You guys put this together down at Randy's I will be happy to lend a hand.

______
Old 11-01-2012, 08:50 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJBRADY View Post
You guys put this together down at Randy's I will be happy to lend a hand.
X2

I have a 4 speed and TC sitting in my garage waiting to go in, so I would really like to help out and see it done before tearing into mine.

( I do still need some 4 speed drive shafts though, if anyone has any. )

'85 FJ60
Old 11-01-2012, 10:20 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

May be best if he just gets a 4 spd & t-case already assembled and we swap that in. I'll bet Redline has something available like that for sale.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 11-01-2012, 11:29 AM

Wow, after reading here and on mud I thought I had all my ducks in a row. Now I am wondering if I bought a bunch of parts that are just gonna turn into paper weights.
What I thought:
Most guys prefer a 3 spd tcase for having a lower gear range
Also a 4 speed was really no different b/w a 60 and 40. I just need that transition gear to marry the tcase and tranny together because of the splines
I knew the "new" combo would be longer and you would need to make sure the parking brake is in good shape. Due to the fact the cross member will be really close to the pbrake drum.
I went ahead and got 4 speed ds so there wouldn't be mixing of 3 and 4 speed shafts. And got 3 pinion flanges 1 for the front output shaft on the tcase 2 for the front and rear diffs. And I also bought a 4 spd parking brake drum to match the ds bolt pattern.

So now do I go the route of finding a 60 tcase or a 40 4 speed? I don't off road much but use 4wd in the snow. If I get the 60 tcase will I need to get rear disc brakes and add a parking brake or can I mod the drums and add a parking brake? I don't care if I lose the vacuum 4wd shifter and get a stick. And either way am I going to need drive shafts modded?

I'll go through the links that Subzali posted and review all that. Insert the guy hitting his head against the wall icon.

And I'll call redline and look around on the classifieds. And pretty sure my engine is out of a 60
desmogged 2f, 4 speed
TLCA #21898
Old 11-01-2012, 12:11 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Wow, after reading here and on mud I thought I had all my ducks in a row. Now I am wondering if I bought a bunch of parts that are just gonna turn into paper weights.
Them ducks have a funny way of moving.

Quote:
What I thought:
Most guys prefer a 3 spd tcase for having a lower gear range
Yeah, it (3 speed tcase) has a lower gear range than a 4 speed case. The guys who lower gearing is really important to often end up with even lower gearing by using an Orion t-case or similar modification.

Quote:
Also a 4 speed was really no different b/w a 60 and 40. I just need that transition gear to marry the tcase and tranny together because of the splines
There are differences, the most significant one in this case is (to my understanding) you cannot connect a 3 speed case to a 4 speed from a 60 series.

Quote:
I knew the "new" combo would be longer and you would need to make sure the parking brake is in good shape. Due to the fact the cross member will be really close to the pbrake drum.
This is correct. The cross member being close to the drum occurs because the 4 speed transmission is longer. I rebuilt my parking brake during the swap so I would not have to deal with it (not being able to just drop the tranny & t-case) for a while. That said, someday I'm going to have a parking brake, t-case or transmission issue and when the time comes I'll have to do something; likely make my cross member removable like Jeff Zepp did.

Quote:
I went ahead and got 4 speed ds so there wouldn't be mixing of 3 and 4 speed shafts. And got 3 pinion flanges 1 for the front output shaft on the tcase 2 for the front and rear diffs. And I also bought a 4 spd parking brake drum to match the ds bolt pattern.
Good move to get 4 speed drive shafts. Great move if they came from an FJ40, of course if they came from an FJ60 the length will need to be changed.

Regarding the flanges and drum - it is good that you have parts where the hole's line up. That said, for the pinion flanges it is important for the splines to match up to your diffs. Older diffs are "coarse spline" and newer diffs are "fine spline".

Quote:
So now do I go the route of finding a 60 tcase or a 40 4 speed? I don't off road much but use 4wd in the snow. If I get the 60 tcase will I need to get rear disc brakes and add a parking brake or can I mod the drums and add a parking brake? I don't care if I lose the vacuum 4wd shifter and get a stick. And either way am I going to need drive shafts modded?
I would go with finding a 40 4 speed as it is the most straightforward path to the swap given all the other parts you have already accumulated.

The need to modify drive shafts is still an open question. If the shafts came from a 40 series they should not need any length changes. If the shafts came from a 60 series, they will need length changes.

Quote:
I'll go through the links that Subzali posted and review all that. Insert the guy hitting his head against the wall icon.

And I'll call redline and look around on the classifieds. And pretty sure my engine is out of a 60
Your engine doesn't need to be changed - its the one part of this equation that I'm pretty sure is just fine.
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 11-01-2012, 12:49 PM
Rising Sun member

Just another thing to throw in to the mix: a 3spd t-case, while having slightly lower gearing than a 4spd t-case, has straight cut gears vs. helical cut gears, so is louder than the 4spd t-case. Don't know if that matters to you, you're already used to it.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 11-01-2012, 02:27 PM

Lets see if these pics help, had these on my phone. I am at the firehouse today so I don't have it right in front on me.
Attached Images

desmogged 2f, 4 speed
TLCA #21898