Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 11-05-2012, 10:01 AM

Default Hell Creek Springs = STIFF ride

The PO installed 2.5" Hell Creek lift springs on my 78 FJ40. I'm running 33x10.5 BFG TA's. The ride quality is horrible...especially in the front. I don't have big expectations with a leaf spring set-up but it feels like there is no softness at all in front end. The front shackles only have a slight angle to the front, which could be contributing to some of it. Do you think different shocks (Bilstiens) would help? Maybe going with Downeys springs or other brand? I'm only considering the front springs for now. Thanks. Doug
Old 11-05-2012, 10:15 AM
Rising Sun Commander

I doubt you'll see much difference with different shocks. To test, just remove the front shocks altogether.. "no dampening" would be the softest possible setup, then adding back shocks would only stiffen it.

I remember my brother's 40 had the Hell For Stout springs, and yeah same deal... that's when we realized that HFS stands for Holy F$#ki*@ S%i! these springs are stiff...

The OME Dakar springs will be much softer, if you want to upgrade. Or a set of stock springs with an add-a-leaf, for a more budget 2-3" lift that isn't as stiff.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 11-05-2012, 12:57 PM

I like your HFS description...very true. There is a speed bump in my neighborhood that I have to go over at 2 mph or it feels like the engine will launch out of the hood. I have not wheeled this rig yet but I'm sure I'll need to wear a mouth guard my first trip out.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:02 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Are the springs new? If so then wheeling it will actually help a bit- look for multiple cross-up situations where you can really flex the things, try to get suspended on two wheels as much as possible.

But I'd probably pull one of the springs out, most likely the 2nd or 3rd shortest one?- it will lower it a tad, but you should still be able to run those tires. Or pick up a used stock set.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 11-05-2012, 02:31 PM
Rising Sun member

You can use jackstands on opposite corners in the garage to help the suspension settle a little bit...let it sit for a couple weeks then swap corners.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 11-05-2012, 02:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

I had that same setup on my FJ40.........for about 2 weeks. I pulled them off and went with new stock springs configured for spring over. This gave me the lift I needed but gave an excellent ride quality.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 11-05-2012, 11:52 PM
Rising Sun Secretary

Aren't the Hell Creek springs different from the HFS sold by CCOT? I thought the Hell Creek stuff was made by that guy in Missouri...not that it matters...too stiff is too stiff!
2013 F-150 "Black Ops"
Old 11-06-2012, 06:21 PM
Cruise Moab Co-Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Or a set of stock springs with an add-a-leaf, for a more budget 2-3" lift that isn't as stiff.
That's what I run on my '71 FJ40 and they are soft and flexy (you have to remove the bottom two leaves from the stock spring pack). I like them a lot!

I have never, ever ridden in a 40 with comfortable 4" springs. All the ones I have first hand experience with suck eggs. They bust your kidneys and jar your back teeth out.

OME's aren't bad for 2.5", but their 40 series packs are a couple inches too short IMHO.

FWIW, My FJ45 has I-beams for rear spring packs - 9 total leaves! The usual 6 you get with an FJ40, plus 3 more big, thick overload leaves. You can feel every pebble and crack in the pavement. But - when you put a ton or a ton and a half of load in the back it smooths out considerably!
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 11-06-2012, 06:39 PM
Hard Core 4+

i had the fourth set of skyjacker 4" springs that was manufactured (about 21 years ago) and i loved them. they were still holding strong whatever year cruise moab was in the campground just outside of moab, because the guy who currently has those exact springs/shackles from my dearly departed nuclearlemon was there with them
ige tlca #1431
Old 11-08-2012, 09:45 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Telly looks like Trevor has some stock springs for sale http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/foru...ad.php?t=18744 Pick those up, take them apart & clean/lube them up real well, add an add-a-leaf to the pack, then swap them over when you have a Sunday afternoon. If you like the results, you could likely sell the Hell Creeks for close to your investment of the stockers+AAL. just a thought...

www.gamiviti.com