Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 11-12-2012, 08:47 PM
Hard Core 4+

If I were faced with the same decision today it would be a regular cab, 4cyl, auto, 4x4 Tacoma. Airbags and ABS. That's my plan for Bridger but its 13 years out for me.

The way I see it you want to give a younger driver every chance you can with safety so the newer the better. If it did not need to be a wheeler a Subaru is hard to beat for snow.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 11-12-2012, 10:09 PM
Hard Core 4+

2004ish V6 Limited 4Runner in white.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:55 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Why not let her roll in one of the Saabs? Then you two build up her wheelin' rig together..

www.gamiviti.com

Old 11-13-2012, 09:08 AM
Rising Sun Member

Neither of my daughters would do well with a truck. I think it's important to understand their needs vs. my driving values. I sure that if I insisted that my daughters were driving armored Land Cruisers, I'd have already had several insurance claims related to parking lot damage and likely from rear ending someone else.

If the kid is getting the hand-me-down family car, the decision is easy. If you are going to buy a vehicle for your kid, it's a bit more complicated. If the kid is a guy who obsesses over vehicles and driving, maybe a Cruiser or a mini truck makes sense. If the kid is a girl that is mostly interested in getting to work or school, look at something that is easy to drive, easy to park and has decent safety stats.

My daughters are both driving auto tranny Saab 9-3s. Decent crash stats, ABS, front and side air bags, and it doesn't cost a fortune to keep good tires on the cars. The ability to stop quickly is an especially important asset in a vehicle driven by a new driver.
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 11-13-2012, 10:20 AM
Rising Sun Commander

how hot would this be http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/3250803798.html

although, for the same money this one is likely a lot safer! http://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/3368481029.html

www.gamiviti.com

Old 11-13-2012, 02:14 PM
Hard Core 4+

You don't want to give your daughter a wagon or a van for that matter. I hope no one needs that one explained.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Last edited by Corbet; 11-13-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:53 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
Holy crap is that thing cool!!!

Not a bad idea on one of the Saabs for her....except for the reliability...both of them are down for repairs now...another reason for a Toyota truck, plus I know a lot more about diagnosing and fixing Toyota trucks than Saabs or anything else...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
You don't want to give your daughter a wagon or a van for that matter. I hope know one needs that one explained.
Her boyfriend is already deathly afraid of me...and should be. I learned a trick or two watching Romer.
KDěTIM
TLCA# 15572
TLCA Executive VP 2008-2011
CM Committee Member CM10, CM11
Old 11-13-2012, 03:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

[quote=60wag;221883...
If the kid is getting the hand-me-down family car, the decision is easy. If you are going to buy a vehicle for your kid, it's a bit more complicated. If the kid is a guy who obsesses over vehicles and driving, maybe a Cruiser or a mini truck makes sense. If the kid is a girl that is mostly interested in getting to work or school, look at something that is easy to drive, easy to park and has decent safety stats.
[/QUOTE]

When we talked it over, her preference was strongly for an 80...so I am not forcing it on her. In the last 5 years, she has seen me drive my built 80, and her mom drove a little commuter car, then a 62, then a stock 80, then a stock 100 LX and even took all her driving classes in the 100. She definitely wants a truck, and I do like the safety features, especially with an ARB and airbags.

Thanks!!
KDěTIM
TLCA# 15572
TLCA Executive VP 2008-2011
CM Committee Member CM10, CM11
Old 11-13-2012, 09:28 PM
Rising Sun Member

Hmmm, maybe I should go to dinner at Stella's.....
Old 11-14-2012, 04:20 PM
Rising Sun Member

From an insurance perspective, and this may be helpful to everyone with a young driver; if you are doing liability only, the vehicle does not matter with regard to premium....except an airbag equiped vehicle is going to be a little less. Full coverage, stay away from the european vehicles and, for some reason, Nissan's seem to be a bit higher than a comprable Toy/Chevy/Ford. If you are doing full coverage on a modified vehicle, make sure that is disclosed and 'rated' for. Otherwise, you could end up with an issue if there is a total loss/theft.
The best thing for rates on a young driver are grades. That 3.0 or better GPA is the biggest discount you can get for a young driver. See, with an 'adult driver' policy, we can play with the mileage driven, pleasure use, etc. With young drivers, those variables dont exist.
And finally, resist the urge to 'put them on their own policy'. This can/will keep your multi-policy/multi-car discounts from being added to their premium. If it turns out in the future they have a 'challenged' driving record, accident, etc, you can 'pull them off' at that time, if it is advised by your agent.
Recently, I worked with a client and their son's insurance. Son had a newer car, requiring full coverage ($$$). These people also happen to own an old 80's pickup that isn't even being driven. I insured the old truck with the boy as the driver and that allowed me some flexibility on the full coverage policy, as I already had the kid 'rated' on another car.
This is an example where having an agent...and not a lizard...working in your corner is a huge advantage!
If I can help or explain anything further....let me know!