Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 11-15-2012, 04:50 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default AC Delco Alt in my 60, wiring and mounting questions.

I'm working with Vannatta's in Boulder to have him build me a high output alternator for my 60. I got sticker shock on the mean green and the idea of a more "standard" alternator is appealing. I like the idea that most Napas, Autozone's etc might have a GM alternator in stock...

So...has anyone wired one of these up? what about a mounting bracket? I can't imagine it'll work with the current config?

thanks!
Old 11-16-2012, 08:34 AM
Hard Core 4+

I used a 1-wire GM alternator, sold at NAPA ($85 - a generic GM alternator for hot-rods, since it is modified to be 1-wire design), on the '83 FJ60 engine that I put in my FJ45. I ran the '1 wire' through the ammeter and then back to the new harness. Very trick and nice. I don't recall any bolting up issues when I mounted it. It's self-exciting and internally regulated so it solved a host of wiring issues for me. The family of alternators was mid-80s-mid 90s. I'm pretty sure I used the OEM bracket and might have had to space it one way or the other a bit. I used the pulley that came on the alternator.