Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 11-23-2012, 12:32 PM

Default replacing the exhaust/intake gasket 2f

My 2f has developed a exhaust leak somewhere at the manifold. When the truck is in gear and engine under load there is a definite noise. I don't have any loss of power (just mpg's) but a strong smell of exhaust in the cab. I can't see any "deposits" of carbon per say but I am pretty sure it needs replacing. The exhaust is almost a year old, desmogged 2f with weber carb and oem intake/exhaust manifold.
My question is: is it pretty cut and dry pulling that apart? Can I keep the carb attached and pull the entire system back as one piece? I ordered a remflex gasket and will start spraying the pb blaster tonight. Any other pearls of wisdom from you guys?
BTW the exhaust tip is behind the rear tire and just sits about 1/4 inch past the body to help avoid exhaust being drawn in.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:26 PM
Hard Core 4+

Is the manifold oem or do you have an aftermarket header? Difficult part is dealing with rust bolts. Just take it apart and post pics of what you find.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:18 PM

Keepin' it real with the oem exhaust/intake manifold.
desmogged 2f, 4 speed
TLCA #21898
Old 11-23-2012, 05:19 PM
Rising Sun Member

Others may have another opinion, but I couldn't get the remflex gasket to keep from blowing out. Itd seal for a while, but then it blow out where the manifold was warped eventually. It was just too soft and too thick in places I think. I tried it 3 times.

Anywho, I'd say the best thing to do is to try to get the intake and exhaust faced as a bolted together assembly so it is super flat where it hits the head, then make sure all the spots where the washers for the bolts hit on the manifold ears are all the same thickness. So basically where each washer hits make sure when bolted down it pulls evenly on both parts of the manifold. I used a dermal tool and took my time doing it and it worked fine.

Lastly, Use a stock gasket..... and when you torque it, follow the book! It seems like really light torque but it works. Don't be tempted to over tighten or you'll warp the manifolds again and they'll eventually leak.

So anyways, mine (and I've only done one 2f) didn't stay reliably sealed until I did it with the stock gasket, machined flat, and with the washer surfaces all the same thickness. I think others have had good luck with the remflex stuff.
82 FJ40
Old 11-23-2012, 05:30 PM
Rising Sun Member

Oh, and also, it takes a little work to get to the back most bolt... A universal joint on a extension with a short socket should get it. You'll have to work to get it all. It is kind of a job but it goes ok...
82 FJ40
Old 11-23-2012, 07:26 PM

Cool thanks for the advice, I was reading on mud that guys liked the remflex. But what threw them a curve was the torque specs. Guess its less lbs for the remflex as compared to the FSM. I rolled the dice with the more expensive gasket. Due to the feedback on mud and remflexs claims. I have no idea if the head is warped so I'll get a straight edge out and check it. I hope that this isn't a real crazy project. But I am sick of smelling like exhaust and I was told exhaust is bad for my......my.....ah......brains.
desmogged 2f, 4 speed
TLCA #21898
Old 11-23-2012, 09:11 PM
Rising Sun Member

I'm not talking about the head being warped, I am talking about the manifolds being warped where they meet the head.

Yes, the folk on mud like the remflex..
82 FJ40
Old 11-23-2012, 09:54 PM

Copy thanks
desmogged 2f, 4 speed
TLCA #21898
Old 11-24-2012, 09:04 AM
Hard Core 4+

You will smell exhaust and fuel for as long as you own and drive a fj40. I sold mine 6 years ago and I can still smell it.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farnhamstj View Post
You will smell exhaust and fuel for as long as you own and drive a fj40. I sold mine 6 years ago and I can still smell it.
Yeah I got that, but it just got worse and now my clothes stink. So after driving it for the last 2 years there's an obvious change.