Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 12-07-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoJM View Post
Move the one over from your old pump.
That is the one from the old pump. The new pump inlet is clocked wrong. I think it's for a 1F without the oil filter. After running around all day trying to figure out how to make the thing work, I just took it back. I'll order one online and make sure it's correct.

RicardoJM, PM en route.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:13 PM

Manuals rec'd. Thanks, Ricardo!
Old 12-07-2012, 09:17 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre6000 View Post
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 12-07-2012, 09:28 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
As you probably know now, Ricardo is a great source of knowledge/info when it comes to these carbs (and damn near everything else too).
'00 UZJ100

TLCA # 14207
Old 12-08-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmontgo View Post
As you probably know now, Ricardo is a great source of knowledge/info when it comes to these carbs (and damn near everything else too).
I'm here for knowledge and camaraderie. Das Klub is one of the few things I miss about Dallas, and I'm hoping to find a similar group here. Sabrina @ RMC suggested checking this group out after I explained DK to her, and so far it's more or less living up to its reputation. I certainly feel welcomed and encouraged. I can't wait to get everything up and running to my level of expectation and get out to a meeting.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:04 AM

By the way, after yesterday's exercise I've decided to follow my own advice and "pay the money, cry once". I'm going to just order the pricey fuel pump from the OEM manufacturer and a parts house that actually has a clue about the vehicle in question. Unfortunately after all of yesterday's goose chasing, I didn't make it home in time to call SOR before they closed... Monday morning I'll call and finally place my big order. I'm pretty much down for good until it comes in...

For reference on this truck, my overall intention is to get it mechanically and electrically good and reliable in the near term (it's going to stay rust and ugly) for daily driver duty. Once my business starts making some money, it will be replaced as DD by my then finished Beetle and a new (something of her choice) for my wife. Once general vehicular needs are met and I have a shop of some sort to work in, it will go under the knife and realize it's full potential.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:11 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
By the way, after yesterday's exercise I've decided to follow my own advice and "pay the money, cry once". I'm going to just order the pricey fuel pump from the OEM manufacturer and a parts house that actually has a clue about the vehicle in question. Unfortunately after all of yesterday's goose chasing, I didn't make it home in time to call SOR before they closed... Monday morning I'll call and finally place my big order. I'm pretty much down for good until it comes in....
have you checked to see if it's available from toyota before calling sor? sor is just an aftermarket company...they buy from toyota, then mark it up before selling to you.
ige tlca #1431
Old 12-08-2012, 12:19 PM

SOR has two options: one is the OEM Toyota fuel pump, the other is the same manufacturer as OEM in a different box for $10 less. I checked out all of the other parts houses I have bookmarked, and of those that actually had it SOR was the cheapest (after you account for the 15% club discount and core charge). I've never known a dealership to even pretend to be a good place to buy parts without being the only possible source for said part. I could easily be wrong, so if anyone knows a better/cheaper source for such things I would really appreciate the heads up.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
SOR has two options: one is the OEM Toyota fuel pump, the other is the same manufacturer as OEM in a different box for $10 less. I checked out all of the other parts houses I have bookmarked, and of those that actually had it SOR was the cheapest (after you account for the 15% club discount and core charge). I've never known a dealership to even pretend to be a good place to buy parts without being the only possible source for said part. I could easily be wrong, so if anyone knows a better/cheaper source for such things I would really appreciate the heads up.
OEM is always cheaper in the long run!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 12-08-2012, 12:47 PM

Yup. Yesterday's experience is evidence of that...

"A cheap man will always buy the cheapest thing available and then buy another one hoping for a better result and then spend the rest of his life in misery complaining about it. A thrifty man will buy a good part once and never think about it again." -RockCrusher

I could have saved a day and half a tank of gas had I just bought the right one in the first place...