Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 01-29-2013, 07:57 PM
Rising Sun Member

its in the middle of this view.

http://www.toyotapartsoverstock.com/...modelYear=1985
82 FJ40
Old 01-29-2013, 08:02 PM

Is there an equivalent on the other side for the air pump? I might go down to Jim's and get one or two if they'll bolt in... Otherwise (and likely anyway because I just want to be up and running), I'll try to find a viable pry bar and just do it the old fashioned way.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:28 PM
Rising Sun member

So far I've been able to tension everything by hand. I prefer to go to the dealership for belts because Toyota belts are wider than almost everything else out there, and even if NAPA etc. has the right length they sometimes don't have the right width. But I have also run into the same problem as Marco - for instance I went in once to get an alternator belt and they gave me an air conditioning belt that didn't work. Guess the guy didn't know the difference between the alternator and the a/c compressor on the fiche diagram

My starter cranks pretty slow, but it always starts up. When I get home in a couple days I'll try to take a video. My FJ40 needs to be started anyway...

What you're describing with your car troubles is exactly why I have a newer vehicle as my DD. Good luck.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 01-30-2013, 09:11 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Be careful using a metal pry bar, it will work but you can mar things up. A good stout broom handle or 2x2 will work.

I got tired of going to the store and saying "I need a belt for a 19XX XYZ, then getting home to discover it was wrong. So many moons ago I bought the longest and least expensive belt off of the shelf. Then I cut it. I now use that belt as my "tape measure" when needing a belt. I always use it to verify the belt length at the parts store before I leave.

Using the old belt is the best bet, but sometimes if you add something new to the rig like power steering, you dont have an old belt.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 01-30-2013, 11:08 AM

I got the correct (and verified) belts this morning at O'Reilly. Both Gates. I'll post the part numbers some time in the next 24 hours. I took the old ones in with me this morning for verification. I'm in meetings all day today and most of tomorrow (though later in the day tomorrow). I'll try to get it back together tomorrow morning (if it's remotely temperate and not so damn windy).

As for DDs, there aren't a lot of cars made in the last 40 years that really grab me in a positive way. Since I'm not Hindu (only one run through), I want to enjoy my cars versus tolerate appliances. My previous DD (barring that abhorrent 4Runner) turned 50 this year, and it was excellent in just about every way. I just have to get this truck baselined and ready. There's not much else I have to go through for complete mechanical reliability (with understood maintenance), and I'm on the last bit to where I can stop messing with it.

Ricardo, where do you suggest finding an O2 bung? I'm acutely interested in taking you up on the wideband offer as soon as is practical after I get it running (starting) reliably. I would also be very interested in doing a thorough writeup on the subject for the greater good.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:24 AM
Rising Sun Member

O2 bungs:

http://www.summitracing.com/search?k...2%20bung&dds=1

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...chTerm=o2+bung

Another option is to buy the spark plug anti foulers from autozone or napa and lop the threads on then weld it to the exhaust.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Re...Dp%3d3%26N%3d0

only think that sucks about those is they are thin so you have to be careful when you weld them. I usually stick an old spark plug in them to help keep the threads happy.

you can use an old spark plug to plug it after you are done or buy a plug from jegs or summit.

If you get in a bind I may have some extras. (plugs and bungs) I like to keep them on hand.
82 FJ40
Old 01-30-2013, 11:31 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre6000 View Post
... Ricardo, where do you suggest finding an O2 bung? I'm acutely interested in taking you up on the wideband offer as soon as is practical after I get it running (starting) reliably. I would also be very interested in doing a thorough writeup on the subject for the greater good.
I had my bung installed at Bud's muffler. It took them a couple of hours and was reasonably priced.

There is not much to them. They are available on Zeitronix site but I would also not be surprised to find them in the parts stores. Make sure you get a plug. IIRC a 26mm wrench is needed to install the O2 sensor and a 10mm hex attachment for a ratchet is great for installing the plug.

I've got a MM 135 and basic welding skills and would welcome the experience of putting it in. That said - to be clear it would be my first time welding in a bung. I know I don't have the correct size drill bit (or hole saw) but them details should be easy to figure out.

Oh another edit - I don't have a guague so I have to borrow my boys laptop for the logging. All that is needed is a windows based machine. I have the logging software on a thumb drive and it installs in a couple of minutes.
TLCA #18941
Old 01-30-2013, 11:39 AM

I was primarily hoping to avoid ordering one for the sake of rolling through it quickly once I get to that point. My exhaust is crap and is located in such a way as to prevent installation of the main skid plate, so I'm not interested in anything too nice/permanent as it'll be replaced pretty soon. Would you care to sell/lend me a plug/bung for the duration of that phase of the project?

I have a welder and the skills to use it (though it's the most deeply buried thing in my crawl space and I recently discovered it might have been partially consumed by chipmunks aver the past 12 months). I'm on a Mac and I doubt I could talk my software engineer out of his PC for such a project... So I can't do much on that front. I'll trade gauging/reaming to fine tune someone's jets though! Once I get things starting reliably, care to set up a project day at an appropriate altitude? I'm thinking around 5,500'.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:16 AM

Well here's your problem!

I assume the last little bit is in the bottom of the flywheel housing... The big bit was (luckily) propped up against the side of things and out of the way. Not entirely though, as there is definitely some missing material...

It was still a little reluctant to start. It seemed to want to start with the choke all the way in THEN pull it all the way out once it started to catch. I wonder if my choke needs some adjustment...
Old 01-31-2013, 12:47 PM
Rising Sun Member

Wowsers! You are going to like your new starter.

Remove the clutch inspection cover (what you call the bottom of the flywheel housing) and you should find the other pieces.

Everyone develops their own startup method, but the owners manual describes the sequence as:

Pull choke out
Two pumps of the accelerator pedal
Start the engine

Give that a try and see if it works better.
TLCA #18941