Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 01-31-2013, 01:04 PM
Hard Core 4+

Perhaps this has been mentioned, but if the spark is too far advanced on some engines, they can be reluctant to crank. This affects cranking speed. Be sure your timing is in the neighborhood of correct, if you suspect this - heck, verify your timing anyway!
Old 01-31-2013, 01:45 PM

It's not doing anything in there and I don't think it has much of an opportunity to do so, so I'm not going to worry about that little piece until I get in there for something else. The starter grenaded before I got a hold of the truck, and was unnoticed (aside from the weird starting behavior), so I'm not too concerned.

I did verify timing once I got it going (though not fully warm), and the BB was still right where I left it about a BB's width from the bottom of the sight window.

When I rebuilt the carb I didn't touch the linkage any more than was absolutely necessary, and I have no doubt it's in need of a little attention. I'm going to look into that tomorrow as time permits along with a bit more loose end tidying.

Does anyone know where some wiper blades can be sourced without having to guess online? I'd like to get some high quality blades as I feel they're pretty important up here with so much dirty snow juice (I'm sure there's a more commonly accepted moniker, but I haven't learned it yet... I'm new to frozen precipitation and it's many variants) everywhere. I want to get them before I get the windshield replaced so the blades that are on there don't scratch up the new windshield to match the old.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:11 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre6000 View Post
... Does anyone know where some wiper blades can be sourced without having to guess online? I'd like to get some high quality blades as I feel they're pretty important up here with so much dirty snow juice (I'm sure there's a more commonly accepted moniker, but I haven't learned it yet... I'm new to frozen precipitation and it's many variants) everywhere. I want to get them before I get the windshield replaced so the blades that are on there don't scratch up the new windshield to match the old.
12" blades available everywhere wipers are sold will work. 11" blades seem to work best and are typically available at NAPA.
TLCA #18941
Old 01-31-2013, 03:07 PM
Rising Sun Member

I just picked up some eleven inchers at autozone, complete with the framework. I didn't see any replacement rubber...the bulk of the shelves are filled with the Bosch contoured blade type wiper. Being the windshield is dead flat, the curved blade of the newer wipers wouldn't be a good choice.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:15 PM

I've been all over AutoZone, O'Reilly, and... another FLAPS (can't remember) with zero luck. IF 11" blades are available, they have the wrong connector and no adapters. I haven't found a NAPA nearby. I'm going to have to go find the one down in Golden and see if they're any good or swing by the one in Boulder next time I'm up there... What brand/model/etc. did you get that worked, and on what vintage 40? Did the connector types change over the years?
Old 01-31-2013, 03:53 PM
Hard Core 4+

European Auto Parts stores (BAP-Geon comes to mind) sometimes have 11 and 12" wipers for MGs and such. Anymore, you might do best shopping online.

What does 'FLAPS' mean (in reference to auto parts stores)?
Old 01-31-2013, 03:58 PM

Friendly Local Auto Parts Store.

What is the type of connector called on these things? I've found a number of 11" blades on NAPA's website, but the photos are all but worthless.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:51 PM
Rising Sun Member

I go to the dealer for wiper blades. The ones from the box stores typically have the wrong angle to them and chatter on the windscreen whilst wiping. They work but sometimes you gotta bend the arm. May not be the same on older 40s... I noticed it on my 60 mostly and my 40
82 FJ40
Old 01-31-2013, 08:53 PM

Great news everyone!

I got back from today's meetings a few minutes ago and thought it was an excellent time to test today's work. The 40's been sitting around in the cold all day, so I tried to fire it up. Fired up no problem. I guess this morning's hesitation was due to things having been unhooked and such. Now I get to start driving it and move onto the various lesser projects and upgrades!
Old 02-01-2013, 10:51 AM
Rising Sun member

Dirty snow juice=magnesium chloride, much hated by car bodies because it can damage the paint. Get that nasty stuff off as soon as you are able.

When I got new blades I had to dig through a little bin of connectors to find ones that would fit. Jeep ones are too narrow
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD