Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 02-12-2013, 07:03 PM
Rising Sun member

Nice. I could see it. A couple of us have pulled 15-16 on some short runs, so it's not out of the question. Certainly better than what you started with.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 02-14-2013, 05:07 PM

Riddle me this:

My windshield washer system ist kaput.

If I hot wire the motor to the battery, it's spins like a top.

If I put test leads in the plug and throw the switch, it shows the expected flow of electrons.

If I plug it in and throw the switch, nada.

WTF?
Old 02-14-2013, 05:22 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre6000 View Post
Riddle me this:

My windshield washer system ist kaput.

If I hot wire the motor to the battery, it's spins like a top.

If I put test leads in the plug and throw the switch, it shows the expected flow of electrons.

If I plug it in and throw the switch, nada.

WTF?
I believe the circuit needs to be connected to ground, i.e. switch grounds to the dash. It sounds like you are testing with the switch in your hand is the switch body connected to ground as you are testing?
SOLD - 1971 FJ-40
TLCA #18941
Old 02-14-2013, 05:36 PM

Nope. The switch is in the dash, and I have the multimeter leads inserted into the female spade terminals in the washer motor plug in the engine compartment (then snaked through the vent window and into the cab so I can be out of the snow and reach the switch).

When I hot wired the motor, I had the motor in my hand (disconnected from the reservoir) and I had a wire connected to one spade terminal to one side of the battery, and touched the other side directly to the battery terminal. I tried it both ways (ran the motor forward and reverse).

This is the original Toyota setup as well, not the crappy aftermarket thing (which was also not working in the same way, though I didn't test the motor on the battery).
Old 02-14-2013, 05:44 PM
Hard Core 4+

My '78 switch is flaky/crusty - I have to turn the switch clockwise to the 'squirt' position and then gently jiggle it (while holding it 'on') to get the squirter motor to turn on. I think this comes from lack of use. If I 'exercise' the squirter switch, it works much better. YMMV, but it took me a while to figure this out in my case.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:48 PM

According to the multimeter, there's no flakiness in the switch. It's very clean and consistent.

The motor works fine directly from the battery. Motor is good.

The switch works fine with nothing plugged into it (save the multimeter).

Once the motor is plugged into the switch, all bets are off.

I might go try to hot wire the motor in situ... Maybe the orientation, fluid, or... some other factor is keeping the motor from functioning the way it's supposed to when it's in place (though I have no idea what that might be)...
Old 02-14-2013, 06:13 PM

Tested. Success. At this point, I think it might be the plug itself. I'm guessing that whatever is messed up with the plug doesn't affect the multimeter terminals. Unfortunately, it's too damn cold right now (especially when washer fluid is involved... it feels like I cut the tip off my left index finger...) to be trying to reshape terminals inside a plastic plug. Additionally, it's getting dark. I'll have to try again tomorrow.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:25 AM
Rising Sun member

Default Removing bushings

Might work?
http://forum.ih8mud.com/showpost.php...6&postcount=33
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
Old 02-15-2013, 11:56 AM

That took me a few minutes to sort out... Missed the post title.

My issue with the bushing replacement is getting the pin out at the frame hanger. It's bonded to the bushings, I needed to reuse the hardware (I was only replacing them for lack of anything better to do and I had a full set of bushings that came with the rig), and there's no room to operate between the hanger and the oil pan on the PF frame mount. If I had a torch I'd try heating it up and melting out, but that's yet another tool set I unknowingly bid farewell when I moved up here... Also, it's really freakin' cold out there... I feel pretty strongly that this Texican has done an admirable job acclimating and not complaining about the cold (How's Antarctica in the summer months btw? My wife and I were talking about how we might get down there some day last week), but when I need to use my fingers (without gloves and on cold steel) a windchill below zero is not in any way conducive to progress.

The second issue has been getting it back together in terms of alignment. I was able to re-align the DF hanger correctly with help from my neighbor, his extra jack, and a smooth garage floor, but that's the only operation (save the recent wideband exercise) that I've had more than a flashlight holder/switch puller for assistance.

Getting the bushings out of the springs hasn't been an issue.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:17 PM
Rising Sun member

I just looked and right now McMurdo Station is 10F. When we were there a couple weeks ago it was 32-34F most days. That's about the warmest it gets there.

There were tourism brochures available in Christchurch. I didn't look into any details, but apparently you could charter an Antarctic trip of some sort.

If you were up for spending a summer, there are many jobs from dishwashing to driving that are needed down there to support the scientific efforts. So you could go down there and get paid!