Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 11-29-2012, 08:58 AM
Rising Sun Member

It looks a lot like my 40

______
Old 11-29-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Other dated items include the head and I think the intake manifold. The engine block I think only has a casting number and an engine serial number, but I think the transmission has a date code, if you ever dig into it that far.
Where are the date codes, and what is the format? Is there a VIN/serial number database somewhere that documents production dates? I'm told there is a book that details some of the more trivial year to year changes; anyone know what that book is called?
Old 11-29-2012, 11:32 AM
Rising Sun member

Same format as your carb, AFAIK. I think the one on the head is stamped on the top driver's side, near the front of the head. Just look around a bit and you should see it.

SOR has an engine block number database (sorta) here:
http://www.sor.com/sor/fengine.tam?p...=fengine%2Etam

There are cruiser faqs floating the net that talk about different model year changes, like this one:
http://www.cruiserfaq.com/15-01.php
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 11-29-2012, 12:44 PM

I've seen a number of those sorts of charts, but that seems to be the most extensive! Thanks!

I got the carb little bits and the air horn in the carb cleaner (the bowl and base will have to wait until tomorrow). I tore up the two screws that hold the sight window in, but they don't look terribly special so I have a trip to McGuckins in my immediate future. That carb was absolutely disgusting! I have honestly never seen one that bad... I've never even seen one HALF that bad... Old gas sucks. New fuel filter already installed as well.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:25 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre6000 View Post
I've seen a number of those sorts of charts, but that seems to be the most extensive! Thanks!

I got the carb little bits and the air horn in the carb cleaner (the bowl and base will have to wait until tomorrow). I tore up the two screws that hold the sight window in, but they don't look terribly special so I have a trip to McGuckins in my immediate future. That carb was absolutely disgusting! I have honestly never seen one that bad... I've never even seen one HALF that bad... Old gas sucks. New fuel filter already installed as well.
Might not hurt to pull the fuel tank and get it boiled out too. Was this rig running or had it been sitting?
Old 11-29-2012, 06:33 PM

It was sitting... I have a pack of fuel filter elements on standby just in case...

As of today, the dash is reassembled save a light bulb and five screws. Defroster vents hooked back up (I noticed the tubing had been disconnected somehow). Side mirrors are back on. I got a number of pieces identified, sorted out, located, and found a few pieces missing: one side of the rear bumper and the windshield hold downs/brackets. The top of the tail gate is tweaked and makes opening and closing the tailgate difficult; I adjusted the majority of the difficulty out, but I think I'm going to have to turn my attention to the door itself... The hardware (nuts and bolts) seems to be all over the place, missing, and not in any way labelled... Luckily there's not a whole lot to these trucks, so there's not a lot of hardware to sort or locate. Two screws are sheared in the grille, so I'll have to find my extractor set before the bezel can go back on. With the carb needing to be cleaned in phases, I'm hoping to get everything on the body assembled and functional in the interim. Before Monday (snow in the forecast) would be excellent. Tomorrow is a hardware run, removing and blowing out the carb bits presently in the cleaner, getting the next round going, and hopefully the majority of the remaining assembly...
Old 11-30-2012, 08:55 AM
Rising Sun member

Make sure to get JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) hardware where possible, to match what's on the rest of the truck. Generally speaking, the thread pitches are finer and the head sizes are smaller than DIN or ISO metric hardware.
Rising Sun Bio
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 11-30-2012, 10:14 AM

Really? I was going to McGuckins today to pick up a ton of metric hardware... Where does one get JIS hardware?
Old 11-30-2012, 10:22 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Fastenal has quite a few and can get most anything you need. Best source for on the shelf is AAA metric in Denver.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 11-30-2012, 11:13 AM
Rising Sun Member

McGuckins won't have any JIS, although the standard metric stuff will work in a pinch. If you are stocking up - drive an extra few miles and hit AAA like Kevin mentioned. It sucks when you grab the 12mm socket wrench to remove a part and then realize that one of the bolts has a 13mm head.