Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 11-29-2012, 01:58 PM
Lifted

They are going on an 80 Series. I don't have any "armor" ... yet so it's still stock as far as weight.

A co-worker bought the Wrangler MTR with kevlar. Those are like $300 more for 5. Not sure if they come in 255 or not. I might consider those but that's spendy.

I'm more concerned about the 255 or 285 issue. Seems like with 265/75/16 my rig wanders a bit. I was hoping someone with an 80 had 255's on it and could tell me how it is vs. 265's.

Mud posts I've read say "..I have 255 and it's fine..." and then a discussion of how rigid the sidewalls are and all that. I'm fairly certain KM2's have at least 3 ply sidewall so they're probably rigid enough.

I might go AT but part of the reason I haven't is because other than the Duratrac I don't see any AT's that look that good. Hey, I can have my cake and eat it too right? For some reason I associate Duratrac with Walmart and I don't like Wallyworld so much.

So if I went with Duratrac what should I get?
Old 11-29-2012, 02:08 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
Uh oh. Don't get UB started on Toyos!!!
Toyos are good for breaking your buddys foot!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 11-29-2012, 03:29 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Toyos are good for breaking your buddys foot!
True! But they do make one heckuva slip and slide!

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 11-29-2012, 03:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcromntic View Post
They are going on an 80 Series. I don't have any "armor" ... yet so it's still stock as far as weight.

A co-worker bought the Wrangler MTR with kevlar. Those are like $300 more for 5. Not sure if they come in 255 or not. I might consider those but that's spendy.

I'm more concerned about the 255 or 285 issue. Seems like with 265/75/16 my rig wanders a bit. I was hoping someone with an 80 had 255's on it and could tell me how it is vs. 265's.

Mud posts I've read say "..I have 255 and it's fine..." and then a discussion of how rigid the sidewalls are and all that. I'm fairly certain KM2's have at least 3 ply sidewall so they're probably rigid enough.

I might go AT but part of the reason I haven't is because other than the Duratrac I don't see any AT's that look that good. Hey, I can have my cake and eat it too right? For some reason I associate Duratrac with Walmart and I don't like Wallyworld so much.

So if I went with Duratrac what should I get?
Yes, the MT's, IMO, look better as well.

Duratrac doesn't come in 255 from anywhere I've seen. I'd be all over that.

The MTR is showing as 5 bucks cheaper a tire than the KM2s on Tirerack for the 285 . That was a similar difference for the 265's I'm running on my truck. Not sure who quoted you at 300 bucks more for the MTRs.

Sidewalls are a big thing for me. I ran BFG AT's forever because they have a 3 ply sidewall, as do the KM2's. I switched to the MTR because it has 2 rubber plus a Kevlar ply, for a total of 3 but supposedly stronger than the BFG setup.

E rated Duratracs also have a 3 ply.

UB swears by the Truxxus MT's from Interco. They seem to be a great tire, but I've never gone that route due to the 2 ply sidewall. However, they seem to work great for him in winter and in the rocks on his whale, I mean, 80.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 11-29-2012, 04:22 PM
Hard Core 4+

I'll throw another option out there (that I have no personal experience with). Thats the hankook dynapro MT. Its almost a hybrid mt/at. Its gotten some good reviews for offroad/mud and one of my buddies has gotten a ton of miles out of his set. They typically come in at a lower price than the other MT's (about 50/tire less than the km2 & mt/r's). As for style, some like the looks of them, others hate it. I run snow tires in the winter and I think if I were to get summer tires again I'd go the hankook route. Not available in a 255 though.

If you have wandering with 265's I'd be looking at some other causes? Abnormally worn tires or other components? Caster in spec? It came stock with 275's so I can't imagine that going 1cm narrower than where you are now will greatly improve the wandering.

fwiw
Old 11-29-2012, 04:31 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Quote:

UB swears by the Truxxus MT's from Interco. They seem to be a great tire, but I've never gone that route due to the 2 ply sidewall. However, they seem to work great for him in winter and in the rocks on his whale, I mean, 80.
The "swears" part is accurate! Trxus MT's are quiet and have phenomenal traction on all surfaces. They are also true size. The new ones do balance (and hold balance) better than the old ones but they are not for daily drivers! They are very expensive (because they are still made in the US) but they are a 30k max tire if you're lucky! I have not seen a sidewall failure but I have heard of some. I now run them on the 80 full time as I don't daily drive it. Chains not required - ever!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 11-29-2012, 04:41 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

when is the last time you bought them? are they still available in that size?
TLCA#4180
Old 11-29-2012, 04:58 PM
Lifted

Thanks all for the replies!!

I did some more research. I went to an online tire store and searched for size 255/85/16 and only one tire came up. The KM2's. I think Cooper sells the ST in 255 also but I don't know anything about that tire.

If I go with 285 I'll most likely stick with my Firestone choice. I might be going against some wise advice about the service though so I'll have to keep that in mind. If I don't to Firestone Destination MT then I could go with the Duratracs load E with 3 ply.

I also saw some Pro Comp MT today which I had never heard of. I'll have to look those up.

But the real question is why would I choose 285 over 255? Or...vice versa.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:21 PM
Rising Sun Member

I seem to recall a "255 thread" over on expeditionportal.com that would be a good resource if you wanted to find all your brand options in that size. I think the Cooper ST is the only "AT-type" tire available as a 255/85, and then you've got KM2's, Trxus MT's, Maxxis Bighorns, and probably a few others I'm forgetting.

As for "why" 255's over 285's? I think the main advantages are that the tire is taller (around .5"), has less rolling resistance for better mileage, smaller contact patch for better traction on rocks and it has less/no rubbing in some applications (like 4Runners and pickups) where the 285 will rub. And the tall/skinny gives it kind of a retro/utilitarian look.

I ran 255's on my 80 for a bit, and also ran them on my Tacoma before that. Personally I think for an 80 the 285's are a better choice. More tire brand options, the size fills out the fender better, it doesn't rub, and the perceived advantages I listed above for 255's aren't significant enough to warrant the change.

One other consideration - the 255's are pretty narrow for a stock FZJ80 rim (16x8), so you might have to consider a 16x7 rim for the "optimal" configuration. I know they will "fit" on a 16x8, but they'll fit better on a 16x7.

My 2 cents....
Old 11-29-2012, 07:42 PM
Rising Sun Member

I agree with Matt re: needing a wider tire on an 80 for filling out the wheel well area. I always thought my LX looked a little whimpy once lifted with the 285s...Stock lift height it was ok...I'll admit one of the reasons I went to 315s on my LX was for the look
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater