Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 12-01-2012, 02:49 PM
Trail Ready

Default Test fit, what do you guys think?

Hey Guys,

I know there isn't much to go on with just a few general pics, but anyone have any insights or thouhts? Working with a partner in Pakistan (not Eshan) to build/import OEM replica tops, along with OEM bows & replica bows eventually. These are my first two test fit samples.

Thoughts?
Thanks,
Abe
Name:  Black Top Front 4.JPG
Views: 393
Size:  146.5 KB

Name:  Black Top front.JPG
Views: 392
Size:  143.8 KB

Name:  Black Top front 2.jpg
Views: 384
Size:  51.2 KB

Name:  Breen Top Back.JPG
Views: 389
Size:  128.3 KB

Name:  Black Top Front 4.JPG
Views: 393
Size:  146.5 KB

[ATTACH]31354[/ATTACH
Old 12-01-2012, 03:44 PM

Haven't seen many tops like that in person but it looks nice. I would like to own one someday.
desmogged 2f, 4 speed
TLCA #21898
Old 12-01-2012, 03:44 PM
Trail Ready

More pics, Tops as arrived in box, in storage/transit bag, banded, inside pics etc...

Name:  Bag in box.JPG
Views: 379
Size:  107.8 KB

Name:  Top in Bag.JPG
Views: 380
Size:  133.6 KB

Name:  Top, banded.JPG
Views: 377
Size:  123.4 KB

Name:  top, banded 2.JPG
Views: 374
Size:  107.4 KB

Name:  Green top inside.JPG
Views: 375
Size:  112.7 KB

Name:  Green Top Inside 2.JPG
Size:  128.7 KB
Old 12-01-2012, 03:53 PM
Trail Ready

More pics...

Name:  Green Top D's Side.JPG
Size:  145.5 KB

Name:  Green Top Back.JPG
Size:  128.3 KB

Name:  Green Passenger Front.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  51.0 KB

Name:  Black top rear with Straps.JPG
Views: 367
Size:  127.2 KB

Name:  black rear with straps 2.JPG
Views: 361
Size:  128.6 KB
Old 12-01-2012, 03:58 PM
Rising Sun Member

Looks great. I wish I had a 40. Does the canvas tighten or loosen with age?
"If you know what you're doing, then you aren't learning anything." - A. Lincoln
Old 12-01-2012, 04:03 PM
Trail Ready

The Canvas actually shrinks in the first few weeks of being on the truck. You can sort of say that it shrinks to fit, for lack of a better term. The tops in these pics are actually not turn-buckled in or anything, so they fit a bit looser than one would after final assembly on someone's own truck. LIkewise, the green one doesn't even have staps on the back yet...
Old 12-01-2012, 05:11 PM
Hard Core 4+

Looks really good! Are you only doing canvas? And why Pakistan? That was a nightmare getting stuff shipped from Ehsan. Other than the potential shipping grief, I sure am glad to see another source for OEM style tops.

Are you selling any yet? Need another rig for test fitting? Let me know, my rig is in my garage with OEM bows and no top on it.

Old 12-01-2012, 06:15 PM
Trail Ready

Hey Martin,

Thanks! At this moment, only canvas, but if I can get some of my money back out, then possibly vinyl & maybe even a much higher end top in ltd. numbers (like Haartz or some other high end fabric). But that is predicated on being able to sell the canvas ones & get my investment back to begin with & all that good stuff...

My initial goal was to do this & make Colorado produced tops, which I thought would be reall cool. But I've wasted a year trying to find a vendor to do it. I had one lined up that was going to be awesome, but once they finally wrapped up their BesTop biz, they decided to retire instead. Everyone else isn't interested in new biz, "but knows a guy that would be perfect..." and they always fall through as well. One well known, local company wanted me to cut a check for 10k, just to consider the project & was not even willing to use the patterns/tech packs I've already produced. They would only start over & make their own, etc...

I work in Intl. Sourcing & Logistcs, and Erica is a Licensed Customs Broker, & has some great agents in Pakistan, so we feel at least pretty comfortable in this arena. So we figured if anyone could make Pakistan sourcing work, we ahve a good shot at it.

Not selling any yet, but I do have 12 sets of OEM bows, 3 sets of OEM soft doors & some other odds & ends coming in soon. These two tops will be for sale at some sort of discounted price once I think I've got everything done with them. They are considered finished goods in Pakistan, but I wanted to get a couple to check out, before I commited to 15 or 20 of them, just to be safe. I would definitely like to have another rig to test fit on, as mine is just a single vehicle (74 if it matters), and the more checks, the better I figure. When the time comes, I was actually thinking about hitting you up to see if you would let me use your truck for some nicer photos. As you can see, my 40 is kind of rough, and doesn't run. So that makes it tough for any good pics...

If you are interested, maybe we could work out a bargain rate for a top for the test fitting/photo op...
Best,
Abe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
Looks really good! Are you only doing canvas? And why Pakistan? That was a nightmare getting stuff shipped from Ehsan. Other than the potential shipping grief, I sure am glad to see another source for OEM style tops.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:03 PM
Hard Core 4+

Sounds good. Glad to hear you have some of the logistics with shipping figured out ahead of the game.

Will you be able to get any extra canvas material to match soft doors to tops? I have vinyl on mine now and they need to be repaired/replaced some point too. If I was able to get a top, it would be great to match the doors.

Let me know when you would like to test fit, I would be happy to drive over sometime.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:16 PM
Trail Ready

Extra fabric should be easy enough. I'm planning on only, "stocking" black, white, ODish green, so I would just need to remember to order an extra 10 yards of each or so, & cut it off, sending it with the top when/if people want it. That shouldn't be hard at all. Do you happen to know if people generally put a varnish, or some sort of hardner on stock doors, or is it also just soft canvas? Mine are old & either just hard from age, or had somethign applied at one point. Not sure which...

Do you have plans tomorrow? I could throw the tops into the truck & either meet you in Golden if you are willing, or even come up to Evergreen if need be. Or, if you are just dying for a topless road trip before it gets too cold, you could definitely come to Boulder. If not tomorrow, anytime would really work for me. I just figure the sooner the better, since we won't have a ton of great days left this year. If not tomorrow, just let me know what might work for you & I'll figure out how to arrange it on my end.

Best,
Abe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
Sounds good. Glad to hear you have some of the logistics with shipping figured out ahead of the game.

Will you be able to get any extra canvas material to match soft doors to tops? I have vinyl on mine now and they need to be repaired/replaced some point too. If I was able to get a top, it would be great to match the doors.

Let me know when you would like to test fit, I would be happy to drive over sometime.