Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 12-01-2012, 08:21 PM
Rising Sun Member

PM sent.
Old 12-01-2012, 09:38 PM
Rising Sun Member

some detail pics of the straps/buckles, zippers, inside stitching of a side window.

Name:  Buckles 1.JPG
Views: 165
Size:  113.1 KB

Name:  Buckles 2.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  45.3 KB

Name:  Buckles 3.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  43.1 KB

Name:  Zipper 1.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  61.1 KB

Name:  Zipper 2.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  53.9 KB

Name:  Insider Window stitching.JPG
Views: 170
Size:  128.6 KB
Old 12-01-2012, 10:09 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8fulabe View Post
Extra fabric should be easy enough. I'm planning on only, "stocking" black, white, ODish green, so I would just need to remember to order an extra 10 yards of each or so, & cut it off, sending it with the top when/if people want it. That shouldn't be hard at all. Do you happen to know if people generally put a varnish, or some sort of hardner on stock doors, or is it also just soft canvas? Mine are old & either just hard from age, or had somethign applied at one point. Not sure which...

Not sure, but I had a set of doors with a original fabric on them and you're right, it seemed like they had been "varnished". Really thick canvas too. My current doors are OEM, but I think the vinyl on them is replacement. It matched my Pakistan vinyl top pretty well though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8fulabe View Post
Do you have plans tomorrow? I could throw the tops into the truck & either meet you in Golden if you are willing, or even come up to Evergreen if need be. Or, if you are just dying for a topless road trip before it gets too cold, you could definitely come to Boulder. If not tomorrow, anytime would really work for me. I just figure the sooner the better, since we won't have a ton of great days left this year. If not tomorrow, just let me know what might work for you & I'll figure out how to arrange it on my end.

Best,
Abe
PM'd you about tommorow.

'85 FJ60
Old 12-02-2012, 11:22 AM

I am gonna follow this one, very interested for my 70. But I would need everything.
desmogged 2f, 4 speed
TLCA #21898
Old 12-02-2012, 11:25 AM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

quality on that last window looks to be lacking.

Otherwise not bad. Leave it on for a few months this winter in the sun will give you a lot of info on the quality and materials

is it green or blackish?
TLCA#4180
Old 12-02-2012, 12:44 PM
Rising Sun Member

Those looks pretty good from here--as Wes noted the window looks a bit shoddy from those pics.

What kind of zippers are those? All of our pakistani (USA Brand) zippers failed very quickly. We had them replaced with YKK heavy duty zippers.

Dan
Old 12-02-2012, 03:03 PM
Hard Core 4+

price will be a huge factor.

that said, after xmas, should i pull off what i want to, what's the chance of a soft top for an fj25
ige tlca #1431
Old 12-02-2012, 04:47 PM
Rising Sun Member

It was good to meet you today, Abe. Thanks for bringing the tops up.

'85 FJ60
Old 12-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Rising Sun Member

@ BigCity25 - no worries, I plan to import tops & bows to begin with, and hopefully eventually be a sourch for tailgates, soft amby doors, everythign soft top related. So if all goes well, it will be easy to supply all you need when the time comes.

@Wes - Actually pics of two tops, one blackish grey & one green. The window pic is the inside of the top, with no binding. They pretty much all look like that on the inside, as does my OCD top. I'm not sure of any way to combat the actual realities of cutting/sewing woven cloth, other than to add binding to the inside as well, just to make it look better. I'm game for that, but people would have to agree that the improvement in looks was worth the cost. I'll discuss with in my next e-mail.

@Dan - The Zippers are locally sourced in Pakistan, but seem solid so far. I"m considering just pushing through with supply YKK"s from here, jsut because it is a big concern across the board with people that have bought past Paki tops. I don't actually see anythign wrong with these & they seem good, but it would take a year of testing to really know. Again, depends a lot on costs, etc...

@Ige - I trying to build as good a top as I can, while still targeting around a $600 top, since that seems to be a price point that people are, "married" to for Pakistani tops. But a lot will depend on exactly how much goes into them. I don't want to overbuild where I don't have to, but I certainly want to make a top that people willl be proud to run on their trucks. If that ultimately adds to cost, hopefully it will be in the right areas. In all honesty, no chance on a 25 series top by/for Xmas. I won't even have 40 tops by then I don't think. But I do want to try and develop a 25/early 40 top if possible. As you know, there is no other way to get them now. So even if demand will always be small, if I could sell enough to cover development costs, it would be a cool way to help out the cruiser community.

@MDH - back at you. Great to meet you & thanks so much for spending a chunk of you Sunday letting me borrow your truck for test fits! Attached is a pic of your truck with the blackish grey top!
Best,
Abe

Name:  Martin's truck, black top.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  57.7 KB
Old 12-03-2012, 10:03 AM
Rising Sun Member

After checking the tops out in person, here's my impression. I'm pretty familiar with both the vinyl and canvas tops that Ehsan used to sell, and this top is pretty similar to the canvas one.

1. It was a little short on my bows and wouldn't have been easy to turnbuckle in place if the grommets were there, but I think my bows are a little tall for some reason.

2. I think that the material along the bottom where the turn buckle grommets go would need to be doubled up or reinforced in order to keep the canvas from ripping. Same with the bottom along the back where the straps would be sewn in.

3. The straps for the footman loops would work better with a pair of D-rings rather than the buckles. Or maybe some sort of buckle with more "tooth"?

4. With the side and back rolled up, the footman loop straps are the only thing that hold the top in place and they would come loose easily if not made more secure.

5. The side window panel that rolls up needed to be shifted back about and inch or two in order to better align with the location of the stock turnbuckle holes.

6. The pieces that slide into the tracks on the windshield and around the doors would be improved if made from something durable like hypalon. The canvas can be easily ripped by the tracks and all of them on my old vinyl top have splits and are a pain.

7. The inside cut edges of the windows are a little rough looking. Only cosmetic, but it would be nicer if they were folded over and more edging used.

8. The zippers didn't have any covers to keep them from hanging down and flapping in the wind and contacting paint. Ykk zippers with real terminal ends would be an improvement as Abe mentioned.

That's all I can think of. Hope you can get the kinks worked out for tHe next batch. Keep me posted and I hope to order one. I liked the gray/black a lot.

'85 FJ60

Last edited by MDH33; 12-03-2012 at 02:32 PM.