Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-02-2013, 10:38 AM
bh4rnnr's Avatar
bh4rnnr bh4rnnr is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Littleton
Posts: 3,820
Default Spanish Peaks

Any interest in a summer run down to the Spanish Peaks? Became interested in them after a delivery trip to Pueblo. Dont know much as far as roads, other than Cordova Pass..



__________________
-Perry Loughridge aka "Skelator" aka KDLDQ
4th gen Coloradoan.
-87 Toyota 4runner. Flat bed by Proffitts Cruisers 5.29 gears, rear locker. 33" mt/r tires. Snackster cooker. Eazi-Awn 1200 RTT and more tube work by the Homegrown Crew . And still more to come


COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-02-2013, 11:10 AM
baja1d's Avatar
baja1d baja1d is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 1,260
Default

My Dad had a place on Cuchara Pass. Beautiful area, I'd love to do some exploring. Post up some dates.
__________________
Travis
TLCA#: 22078
1994 FJ80
1964 FJ40
1988 4Runner
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-02-2013, 11:26 AM
Fishy's Avatar
Fishy Fishy is offline
Rising Sun Event Coordinator
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Centennial, CO
Posts: 1,178
Default

I'm interested.....subscribed.
__________________
Stan
UZJ100 (Non-White Edition)

TLCA Social Media
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-02-2013, 11:45 AM
MDH33's Avatar
MDH33 MDH33 is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evergreen, Colorado
Posts: 5,708
Default

Beautiful down there. That's where I lived and worked all last summer...
__________________
--Martin
'85 FJ60
'05 Tundra
KDGWM
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-02-2013, 02:43 PM
bh4rnnr's Avatar
bh4rnnr bh4rnnr is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Littleton
Posts: 3,820
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja1d View Post
My Dad had a place on Cuchara Pass. Beautiful area, I'd love to do some exploring. Post up some dates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
I'm interested.....subscribed.
Was thinking sometime in July for this run. Take off Wed and come back sunday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
Beautiful down there. That's where I lived and worked all last summer...

Martin, any suggestions on areas/trails to check out?
__________________
-Perry Loughridge aka "Skelator" aka KDLDQ
4th gen Coloradoan.
-87 Toyota 4runner. Flat bed by Proffitts Cruisers 5.29 gears, rear locker. 33" mt/r tires. Snackster cooker. Eazi-Awn 1200 RTT and more tube work by the Homegrown Crew . And still more to come


COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-02-2013, 02:45 PM
baja1d's Avatar
baja1d baja1d is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 1,260
Default

Subscribed
__________________
Travis
TLCA#: 22078
1994 FJ80
1964 FJ40
1988 4Runner
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-02-2013, 04:52 PM
MDH33's Avatar
MDH33 MDH33 is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evergreen, Colorado
Posts: 5,708
Default

Perry, there's not much as far as difficult 4x4 trails, but there is a lot of great camping and scenery. A good long weekend would be to run Medano Pass from the dunes, then head South towards the Spanish Peaks and go through Gardener towards Laveta. It's high speed two lane pavement and dirt from the East end of the Medano Pass trail down to the peaks. Down near the peaks there's the Cordova Pass road which is just a graded dirt road, but there's a good campsite at the top near the West Spanish Peak trailhead. You can loop that back around on Highway 12. On the West side of 12 near Cuchara, there's a Forest Rd with a couple of nice campgrounds and there's a 4wd rd that goes up to the spine of the Sangres. the trail is called Trinchera peak. Good disperesed camping up there too. It reminded me of Argentine. Shelf roads, mining ruins and views above tree line.

I would be all about this run if I was heading back down there this season, but right now it's looking like I might get to work on the Clear Creek district again and be closer to home this summer . ( as long as the gubment doesn't shut down... That would mean all of us low-pay hourly Pee-ons would lose our jobs while those in Washington would keep getting their salaries, pensions, health care, free flights... ).
__________________
--Martin
'85 FJ60
'05 Tundra
KDGWM
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-02-2013, 07:16 PM
nuclearlemon's Avatar
nuclearlemon nuclearlemon is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: denver
Posts: 5,665
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
( ... That would mean all of us low-pay hourly Pee-ons would lose our jobs while those in Washington would keep getting their salaries, pensions, health care, free flights, raises... ).
fixed it for ya
__________________
ige tlca #1431
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-02-2013, 08:42 PM
MDH33's Avatar
MDH33 MDH33 is offline
Rising Sun Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Evergreen, Colorado
Posts: 5,708
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearlemon View Post
fixed it for ya
Yep.
__________________
--Martin
'85 FJ60
'05 Tundra
KDGWM
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-03-2013, 03:13 PM
bh4rnnr's Avatar
bh4rnnr bh4rnnr is offline
Hard Core 4+
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Littleton
Posts: 3,820
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH33 View Post
Perry, there's not much as far as difficult 4x4 trails, but there is a lot of great camping and scenery. A good long weekend would be to run Medano Pass from the dunes, then head South towards the Spanish Peaks and go through Gardener towards Laveta. It's high speed two lane pavement and dirt from the East end of the Medano Pass trail down to the peaks. Down near the peaks there's the Cordova Pass road which is just a graded dirt road, but there's a good campsite at the top near the West Spanish Peak trailhead. You can loop that back around on Highway 12. On the West side of 12 near Cuchara, there's a Forest Rd with a couple of nice campgrounds and there's a 4wd rd that goes up to the spine of the Sangres. the trail is called Trinchera peak. Good disperesed camping up there too. It reminded me of Argentine. Shelf roads, mining ruins and views above tree line.

I would be all about this run if I was heading back down there this season, but right now it's looking like I might get to work on the Clear Creek district again and be closer to home this summer . ( as long as the gubment doesn't shut down... That would mean all of us low-pay hourly Pee-ons would lose our jobs while those in Washington would keep getting their salaries, pensions, health care, free flights... ).
Thanks for the thoughts Martin, will check them out (forgot about Medano).

Hopefully things dont come to you being unemployed.
__________________
-Perry Loughridge aka "Skelator" aka KDLDQ
4th gen Coloradoan.
-87 Toyota 4runner. Flat bed by Proffitts Cruisers 5.29 gears, rear locker. 33" mt/r tires. Snackster cooker. Eazi-Awn 1200 RTT and more tube work by the Homegrown Crew . And still more to come


COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:11 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.