Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 12-05-2012, 05:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
I don't know if it's the compound is harder at the base of the tread or the rubber just hardens over time, but I notice this phenomenon, too. I'm a fan of the BFG A/T, but I think my next set will be Yokohama Geolander A/T-S. Crash has spoken highly of them in the past and now that I'm back on 30x9.5-15 I can actually get them.
Crash likes those? Huh. That wasn't my experience with them.

That was the set I had on my 99 when I got it, and I couldn't get rid of them fast enough. Worst snow tire I've ever had. I had to drive at 20 miles an hour in fresh snow, not packed, to keep it on the road. On the ice they were just as scary.

However, that was in a 265/70, which is almost 11 inches wide. It may be better on the 9.5.

I will say that they were an amazing dry pavement tire. Couldn't believe how quiet they were. Very enjoyable from a comfort standpoint.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 12-05-2012, 06:06 PM
Hard Core 4+

Interesting, two trusted opinions. I dunno, probably shouldn't stray from ATs when I have no good reason. It's not like any move is imminent in the next year or two. Several rotations left in the shoes I got now.

"Why does the U.S. care which flag will be hoisted on a small piece of land thousands of miles away?" -- Ron Paul
Old 12-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Rising Sun Member

Well, worth a bit more research at least. Although, it might be totally different for your truck. The longer wheelbase and lower power of your truck may make a big difference.

This is a good thread. I'll try to update as this winter progresses and I run my MT/R's in the snow. Last year, I only just got the new tires, then broke my leg and couldn't drive a stick so the truck sat for 2 months, and it never really got a good test in nasty conditions on the hwy.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 12-06-2012, 12:36 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
I don't know if it's the compound is harder at the base of the tread or the rubber just hardens over time, but I notice this phenomenon, too. I'm a fan of the BFG A/T, but I think my next set will be Yokohama Geolander A/T-S. Crash has spoken highly of them in the past and now that I'm back on 30x9.5-15 I can actually get them.
The is running those on her 80...Picked them up from Tim when he took them off his Tacoma. I would agree with Isaac about them. They are nice good weather tires but I wasn't impressed with them at all last winter in the snow. I'm pretty sure they are the same 265/70 size that Isaac was running and although I wouldn't say they were the worst tire I've ever run in the snow, they were actually worse in the snow than the tires that I gave away when I swapped them on. My siped Toyo MTs are much better IMO in the snow. So, I had Discount tire sipe the Geolanders this summer. We'll see if that changes my opinion.

I think this thread definitely points out that tire selection can be very vehicle specific...What might work great on an 80 might not be so good on a 4Runner etc.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 12-09-2012, 02:25 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

I have also gotten 50k out of a set of BFG A/Ts (235/75R15s on my '76 '40). I also got ~50k out of a set of siped 31x10.50x15 BFG M/Ts, but for whatever reason, when I stepped up to 33x10.50x15 my treadwear went way down, more like 40k. Not sure if that's first gen M/T versus the KMs or something to do with the size?

I really like the Goodyear Duratracs I put on my 60. They are really quiet for how aggressive the tread pattern is, stick like crazy and don't need siping. Hugh at Safari LTD. told me that the oil and gas guys are reporting 70k out of the Duratracs on their pickups around Rifle and Parachute.

The scariest tires in the snow were the bias ply tube type jeep service tires that came on my '71 '40. It took all of about 2 snow storms before those got ditched and I went to radials.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 12-10-2012, 10:50 AM

i've got the yokoama geolander at-s on my 2000 tundra, 265/75/16 load range D with 52k on them and about just under 1/2 tread left.i work at dia and drive the back road to the north side of the airport[east of 120th and tower],in the winter this road sometimes doesn't get plowed right away, either denver or adams county plows it, but road can get pretty bad. in any case I really like the tires hardly ever brake loose and feel comfortable at high speed. on dry and wet pavement and in the dirt I feel they stick very well to. I would buy these tires again in a heart beat. mabye the weight of the tundra over the mini's makes a differance.