Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 11-28-2012, 05:57 PM
Lifted

Default Deciding on tires

So I've been reading all over the place about tires. It's down to two options for me: Firestone Destination M/T (FDMT) or the BFG KM2.

The FDMT's are probably a better tire for what I drive on but only come in 285/75/16 (don't come in 255/85/16).

The KM2's come in 255/85/16 and are cheaper for 5 tires.

Now, I don't officially know if I should even consider 255/85/16 but that size gets me to 33" and is a lighter tire than a 285/75/16.

I'm taking a poll on those who drive in Colorado, because I'm in Colorado, about their experience with those two tires (and possibly sizes) to try and find a reason to go one way or the other.

Please post your experience.

Thanks. Also, I'm getting new tires because the ones on it are like 7 years old and one of them has a gash on the sidewall (recently found).
Old 11-28-2012, 07:43 PM
Hard Core 4+

What truck and how heavy are they going on and where do you like to drive? DD? I prefer AT tires and find they take me everywhere I need to go in CO and UT.
Running BGF AT 295.75.16D on a heavily loaded rig.
285.75.16 is a more common size, better choice if you travel a bunch.

Mud tires look good but just aren't necessary in CO and don't preform well in snow. IMO.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:11 AM
Rising Sun Member

Yeah, I agree with Farnham. The truck they are going on makes a big difference.

Certainly both tires will be louder than an AT tire on road, if road noise is a consideration.

There have been reports that the KM2's wear faster than other MT's on the market, though again, that depends a lot on driving style and on the rig they are under.

That said, I try to avoid Firestone products due to their terrible customer service, but that is solely a personal preference, and not really relevant to the longevity and drive ability of the tire, unless that sort of thing matters to you.

If you were running the tire under an 80 or 100 series LC, I might go for the 285 over the 255 because they are a big, heavy truck, and the lateral stability is going to be better with the narrower tire, and they both have the gumption to push the tire.

If you have a lighter rig with a small motor, go with the 255's, as they'll be easier to push around.

As a totally separate issue, I find that an AT tire has been completely satisfactory for me for Colorado, and, in fact, if I were recommending a tire to someone for a nicer, road driven truck that sees only moderate trails, I'd recommend an AT tire.

I ran AT's on my old 4runner for years, and they went up French creek, Chinamans, all over Moab, etc... with zero issues. What usually held me back was not wanting body damage. I never found the tires lacking except in deep snow.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 11-29-2012, 09:20 AM
Rock Stacker

I have run 4 sets of the MTR-KM2's in the 285 size. They are a great tire and do just fine on the highway. Noise doesn't bother me in a 4x4 it is just one of the compromises. What the KM2's do well is resist chunking and flats. The carcass is tough. If you get them, don't run pressures at or near maximum for load carrying capacity unless you need it. The higher pressures make them more susceptible to flats and they wear fine at lower pressures. I air for a flat contact patch. The biggest thing is to keep them rotated and balanced. I go with a 5000 mile maximum and criss/cross rotate them. Doing this, I get 40K miles on a heavy (F250) truck.
One word of caution, when they begin to wear out, they seem to stop wearing the tread. I was once tempted to get every mile possible out of a set and they just kept going and going and I eventually had a blowout. Again, this was not the fault of the tire, but mine for being cheap.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:08 AM
Rising Sun Member

Boggers.....Timztoy loves his!

______
Old 11-29-2012, 11:16 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

I won't bag on KM2's as I know there is others on here that like them. I will tell you that for my needs on my dual purpose type rig they were the worse winter tire I have ever owned. So much in fact that I gave them away! They were great on rocks and loose dirt and in fact really excelled over most tires in that environment! They did wear decent and they balanced very well. They were somewhat moderate to loud in the noise factor after they established a wear pattern. My personal opinion is if you want a radial tire on a trail rig that has decent dry street manors they are great. If you drive your rig in the winter on snow packed or icy roads they are not for you! I have not personally tried the Firestones but I would if they came in my size! Everyone who has them (that I know) would and will buy them again. Firestone does suck on warranty and short of a law suit has a strong reputation of not standing behind their tires.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 11-29-2012, 11:22 AM
Rising Sun Member

I know at least one person that had the KM2s and hated them and got rid of them. Noisy and poor performance as I recall including in the snow. I think Romer had the Firestone MTs on his 80 so he might be able to provide a good review (or he might already have - search here and on MUD).

In general I also agree with Farnham and Isaac re: an AT tire. That said, I've been running the Toyo MTs for 6 years now I think. I love the tire. They are heavy (my 285s were heavier than a buddy's 315 Baja MTZs) and louder than an AT which is a downside. But, if you sipe them it quiets them down and makes them decent snow tires IMO. I got almost 40K miles out of my first set and never had any chunking issues due to the siping (can't say the same for my MT/Rs). Price point is not a strong suit either though - maybe my next set will be an AT tire like the DuraTrac which seem to be pretty popular lately.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 11-29-2012, 11:39 AM
Rising Sun Member

If you are going with a Mud terrain tire I recommend getting them siped for road use in the winter to handle icy conditions. Did that with my MTR's on the FJ Cruiser and the KM2's on a Chrysler product and no problems at all.

______
Old 11-29-2012, 01:26 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
I know at least one person that had the KM2s and hated them and got rid of them. Noisy and poor performance as I recall including in the snow. I think Romer had the Firestone MTs on his 80 so he might be able to provide a good review (or he might already have - search here and on MUD).

In general I also agree with Farnham and Isaac re: an AT tire. That said, I've been running the Toyo MTs for 6 years now I think. I love the tire. They are heavy (my 285s were heavier than a buddy's 315 Baja MTZs) and louder than an AT which is a downside. But, if you sipe them it quiets them down and makes them decent snow tires IMO. I got almost 40K miles out of my first set and never had any chunking issues due to the siping (can't say the same for my MT/Rs). Price point is not a strong suit either though - maybe my next set will be an AT tire like the DuraTrac which seem to be pretty popular lately.
Uh oh. Don't get UB started on Toyos!!!

Generation Dead
Old 11-29-2012, 01:28 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Mogger View Post
I have run 4 sets of the MTR-KM2's in the 285 size. They are a great tire and do just fine on the highway. Noise doesn't bother me in a 4x4 it is just one of the compromises. What the KM2's do well is resist chunking and flats. The carcass is tough. If you get them, don't run pressures at or near maximum for load carrying capacity unless you need it. The higher pressures make them more susceptible to flats and they wear fine at lower pressures. I air for a flat contact patch. The biggest thing is to keep them rotated and balanced. I go with a 5000 mile maximum and criss/cross rotate them. Doing this, I get 40K miles on a heavy (F250) truck.
One word of caution, when they begin to wear out, they seem to stop wearing the tread. I was once tempted to get every mile possible out of a set and they just kept going and going and I eventually had a blowout. Again, this was not the fault of the tire, but mine for being cheap.
That is a good point, I didn't consider the MTR as an additional choice. I'm running the newer MTR's now, and I do like them. I haven't had them in the snow much, but they seem to be wearing well.

They are a little noisy once they wear in, but do very well offroad.

I found them similarly priced to the KM2, but they, like the firestones, do not come in a 255 85.

Generation Dead