Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 12-13-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
Thanks for the info guys. I like the idea of calling Qwest as a dissatisfied customer and seeing if they'll bump me up. I've done that several times with Directv and it works 100% of the time for getting discounts and free hardware.

I'm still not hearing conclusively that the router has much affect on things? In my 10 minutes of checking on the internet, I see routers for $30 and routers for $200 - what's the difference?
The "service" that chokes your bandwidth is euphemistically called "DSL Optimization" or something similar. You have to get a competent person on the phone to do anything about it. The key will be that you are in their computer at a speed less than what you're paying for.

As long as your router is reasonably new, it's not going to affect much at that bandwidth.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:38 AM
Hard Core 4+

Even with cable I can't stream Netflix with wireless. The NF tech admitted their antipirating protocol is an extreme bandwidth HOG. About ready to drop them or try running hardwire. Involves drilling the floor etc. Aargh.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:43 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Matt,

Get the model number off the DSL modem...Likely to be an Actiontec
It's a 2Wire Gateway, model 2700 HG. Issued by Qwest. I don't know the difference between a modem and a router; I guess I thought they were the same.

I ran my speed test and I got:

download = 1.3 mbps
upload = 0.54 mbps

Seems like I can do better....
Old 12-14-2012, 08:53 AM
Hard Core 4+

All ISPs implement bandwidth throttling, it's not just Qwest. Comcast is very bad about it on our connection (they want us on a business plan).

NF, as in Netflix? How is Netflix throttling you? They've had issues for years with streaming, but that's a Level3 problem in the way they structured the delivery contract they outbid from Akamai. Netflix for a while now has been assumed to be crippled on Comcast because they were ticked that Level3 is essentially double tapping stolen bandwidth through a peering agreement loophole.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 12-14-2012, 08:56 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
It's a 2Wire Gateway, model 2700 HG. Issued by Qwest. I don't know the difference between a modem and a router; I guess I thought they were the same.

download = 1.3 mbps
upload = 0.54 mbps

That sounds like what you are paying for, a 1.5Mbps connection. You need to call Centurylink and get them to upgrade you. The threat (or maybe actually) switching to a cable modem should get you a better level of service. In Boulder you should be able to get 20Mbps DSL no problem and probably a 40Mbps.

Nothing wrong with that modem/router. In your case they are the same, but they don't have to be. Usually you do better using a dedicated router and wireless access point and using the modem just as a modem (e.g. using the ISP provided device as a bridge).

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 12-14-2012, 09:03 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrog View Post
I've had good luck calling Qwest (now Century Link) and getting
free speed udgrades - that is, higher speeds without a higher
monthly charge. Depending what speed you currently have, you
may however need to upgrade your modem.

Give Qwest a call, tell them you need more speed and are considering
going to cable, and see what they can do for you.

-Phrog
Good call Phrog.

I called CenturyLink this morning to discuss my account. The highest speed they offer right now at my house is 3 Mbps (double where I was previously). But they are going to upgrade my service to the 3 Mbps, send me a new DSL modem for free, and also revamp my phone/internet package so that it costs me $25 less / month.

I guess I can't complain about getting upgrades AND paying less.....
Old 12-14-2012, 09:10 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:

download = 1.3 mbps
upload = 0.54 mbps

yes, there is a difference between the modem and router.

we're on xfinity service and this is my current speed.

you can definitely do better.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:22 AM
Rising Sun Member

I am not sure it will really help too much but we run a Linksys wireless N router off our DSL box for wireless, I think Jeff mentioned he does the same.

We have a detached garage, where my office is, so that is where the box sits. we then run an expander in the house, that Melinda's Imac is wired to. We can run Pandora but it does hick up a bit...

We are supposed to be getting 7mbps but just tested getting 6mbps.

Funny thing, our kitchen fire place has metal framing and somehow interferes with our wireless in the house but neighbors 2 houses a way have called and asked to borrow our wireless occasionally.. Even more weird, that same neighbor got a new car right after one of our bank accounts got hacked...ok made that up..

Anyway, once you get the new set up from Century Link, you might want to try a wireless N router fot your wireless via an after market router that connects to your DSL router.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 12-14-2012, 09:57 AM
Rising Sun Member

Sheesh. You guys are talking 20-30 Mbps, and all I can get in east Boulder is a lousy 3. That's ****ty.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:18 AM
Hard Core 4+

I have 1.5MB from Centurylink due to the ancient switch near my rural house. I object to their $19.95/mo plan in that it gives them NO incentive to upgrade my service. I pay the same rate as the people who have 10x my speed.

I have no cable service in my area, so other than an antenna or line-of-sight approach, I don't have any other high speed internet approach. I never see a full 1.5MB, either - typically it's 1.3 on a speed test. I should call Centurylink and ask them when they are going to upgrade the switch, however.