Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 12-14-2012, 04:10 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacket View Post
Good call Phrog.

I called CenturyLink this morning to discuss my account. The highest speed they offer right now at my house is 3 Mbps (double where I was previously). But they are going to upgrade my service to the 3 Mbps, send me a new DSL modem for free, and also revamp my phone/internet package so that it costs me $25 less / month.

I guess I can't complain about getting upgrades AND paying less.....
- glad it worked out that way

As for higher speeds...they're working on it but contrary to what many think, it is very expensive to put in fiber, new RTs, etc. to give everyone faster speeds. Especially when demand for higher speeds continues to go up just as demands for lower cost does the same...Ultimately it is the pressure of competition and feasibility along with cost that drives upgrades IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I have 1.5MB from Centurylink due to the ancient switch near my rural house. I object to their $19.95/mo plan in that it gives them NO incentive to upgrade my service. I pay the same rate as the people who have 10x my speed.

I have no cable service in my area, so other than an antenna or line-of-sight approach, I don't have any other high speed internet approach. I never see a full 1.5MB, either - typically it's 1.3 on a speed test. I should call Centurylink and ask them when they are going to upgrade the switch, however.
I can understand your frustration...But your DSL speed has nothing to do with the ancient switch providing voice services. By today's standard most "switches" would be considered ancient, even those in metropolitan areas, as even the newer digital switches are 20+ years old.

What is affecting your speed is distance and probably old plant serving your rural community. What you want to ask CenturyLink is when, if ever, they plan on buring fiber out to your community. Problem is, as mentioned above, that isn't cheap to do so if you live in an area where homes are spread out trenching in fiber gets prohibitively expensive, not to mention everything else required to offer 20+ MB speeds. Easy to see why any company will concentrate on areas where they can "hit" 100s of dwellings with fiber before they start looking at areas where they can only hit 5-10. Not to mention they know that they won't be able to sell you that increased speed for much more than you are paying now so the ROI could literally be 10+ years
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater

Last edited by corsair23; 12-14-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:50 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Sheesh. You guys are talking 20-30 Mbps, and all I can get in east Boulder is a lousy 3. That's ****ty.
Yeah, we live comparatively in the sticks and miles from a major research university.

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 12-15-2012, 11:30 AM
Wincher

Default internet speed

I just went to that web site and ran the test. This is what it showed:

3" Revtek lift, 16x8 Eagle Alloys, 285/75R16 Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac,, Shrockworks Sliders, Cobra 75WX ST CB, BudBuilt Skid Plates, Daystar Rear Bumper Guard, ARB front Bull Bar, Warn 9.5 XP winch, CO2 tank, Yaesu VX-6R Dual-Band Ham radio
Jim
KD0MGU

IF YOU DON'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO STAND IN FRONT OF THEM.

http://www.sharetrails.org/

“Preserving Our Natural Resources FOR The Public, Instead Of FROM The Public!”
Old 01-10-2013, 11:44 AM
Rising Sun Member

So I ended up having to have a Qwest technician come out to the house because the "new" service was getting me a download speed of around .25 Mbps. Turns out there was a problem with the filters set up by the previous technician outside the house, so after some changes I'm rocking with 2.7 Mbps. Double .

I spoke to the technician when he was done, and he said it's just a matter of prioritization by Qwest (I guess it's CenturyLink now) in terms of getting overall service upgrades. The DSL technology out there can support between 40-80 Mbps, but he said that they prioritize regional upgrades based on population density and by new neighborhoods versus updating existing 'hoods. Kinda frustrating - our neighborhood is relatively small but in a pretty busy area, so I'm wondering if we are just getting overlooked.

I guess I'll give it another year and see where we are before I may have to look at adding cable to my mix.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:54 PM
Rising Sun Member

Ahh, another reason to have stayed in our hood... more bandwidth and more squirrels. Count up to 51
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 01-11-2013, 06:31 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
I spoke to the technician when he was done, and he said it's just a matter of prioritization by Qwest (I guess it's CenturyLink now) in terms of getting overall service upgrades. The DSL technology out there can support between 40-80 Mbps, but he said that they prioritize regional upgrades based on population density and by new neighborhoods versus updating existing 'hoods. Kinda frustrating - our neighborhood is relatively small but in a pretty busy area, so I'm wondering if we are just getting overlooked.

I guess I'll give it another year and see where we are before I may have to look at adding cable to my mix.
Matt, doubt you are getting overlooked. It is an economies of scale thing. If the company is going to drop $$ to build out fiber to an area (needed to support those speeds) plus $$ to place a new RT, they need to do so to areas where the ROI isn't 20 years - Cost is nearly the same to bury fiber and place an RT to a development with 100 homes as it would be to a development with 1000 homes. And of course no one wants to pay more for the greater speed it is more of a retention thing. You can imagine if they are spending $150K to put in new equipment that they'll choose to spend that in an area where they'll get the most customers.

Back when there used to be a spot on the website for you to check to see what DSL speed you can get and there was also a "Notify Me" button that you could click when greater speeds were going to be available in your area. I think the company used that to determine interest to some extent. You might see if that is still on the CenturyLink page somewhere. They are also starting to roll out their PrismTV service in certain areas. I don't know where or when but when they roll that out you'll see MUCH greater speeds.
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 01-13-2013, 11:25 PM
Rising Sun Commander

I'm struggling with streaming video. It works pretty good on Netfilx and Hulu, works worse on Crackle and even worse on the Transworld App that's part of my Samsung Blu-ray player. Which blows, because there are a bunch of sweet skating, snowboarding, and moto videos on there, but by the 2nd one it starts getting choppy, then it pretty much freezes then gives up.

I tried switching from wireless to hard wired and that had only marginal difference. Then today I upgraded our router from the 10/100 "G" router I'd been running for likely 6 years or so, to a N600. Here are my results, from the computer upstairs, while streaming Pandora downstairs...

That seems like it should be fast enough- anything I could do to push my network further, or is this more likely a Samsung thing?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 01-14-2013, 08:06 AM
Hard Core 4+

If there was no improvement with Ethernet over WiFi, then it's probably not your router or network. Flush the browser cache if you can.

Embedded devices are pretty notorious for poor coding, so it's possible it's just the Samsung player. We have a SonyPanasonic Blu-Ray player and its network applications seem marketing driven rather than solidly engineered. Online video is so dependent on the whole chain working right that it's almost inevitable that you will eventually have a problem. For a while our Roku box was just about completely unusable with Netflix, which was Netflix's issue (they admitted as much). They eventually figured out the issue, but they tend to focus on Firefox/IE/Safari running on OS X/Windows and then fix other problems as they can.

Also try using better DNS servers, Google or OpenDNS.

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Last edited by DaveInDenver; 01-14-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:38 AM
Rising Sun Member

I do see significant differences between streaming apps from Netflix and Amazon (using their apps) versus just watching streaming internet content like Youtube on my TV, which I think reinforces Dave's point.

But considering your download speed is 10x better than mine , I would think you should be able to watch some videos without much trouble. Did you try comparing the same video through your Blu Ray/TV versus watching it directly via your computer download? That might indicate whether it's a software problem versus a download problem.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:48 AM
Rising Sun Commander

Not sure how I'd compare the same video, as these are somewhat app-specific? But I can watch Hulu/Netflix either through appleTV or wireless on the iPad for as long as I need to... and those apps work fine on the setup downstairs as well. It's just the Samsung-specific stuff that seems slow, so I think I know the answer here. nbd.. shouldn't be watching tv anyway.

www.gamiviti.com