Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 12-18-2012, 10:19 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Powerstroke HPOP

Learning about this potential failure. Sounds ugly if it fails on a trip. Since we are planning trips... just curious if anyone does a preemptive reseal? Or do you just hope that IF it fails it will be at a time when you can fix it over two days?

$4K at a dealer does not seem like an option...
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:04 PM
Hard Core 4+

Typically, they only fail at fairly high miles on a 7.3. Dealers like to quote the need for a replacement due to high profit for them, but rarely does it fail catastrophically or without warning. Typically, you have some power issues due to lack of fuel pressure long before it strands you. It's far down on my 'worry list'. Dealers also like to replace injectors #3 and #8 due to false indications from scanning software. While they are 'in there', they usually talk you into replacing all 8, especially on high-miles rigs. Don't fall for this one. The FTE forum is littered with people who have had dealers replace many parts before the relatively simple fix was reached. Read up and follow the 7.3 forum.

From what I see in the FTE forum, you're far more likely to be tripped up by the CPS (have a spare in the glovebox), or the IPR, or bad batteries and/or alternator. You should also take various preventative measures like doing the Hutch mod, replacing the fuel bowl drain o-rings, insulating the wiring harness over the pass. side valve cover against chafing, and insulating the power steering hose between it and the driver's side shock tower. Replace the fuel filter every 15-25K miles and drain the bowl monthly. You might also keep the o-ring kit from the 'dieselorings' guy in your glovebox. It's a $65 kit with all fuel/oil related o-rings.

My only on-the-road failure was the starter, for which a Chicago dealer soaked me $375 (part only - I changed it). I had no warning of this, but it stuck in the ring gear (at times) and I had many days of travel yet to follow.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:45 PM
Rising Sun Member

I replaced mine with a T500, but only because my tuner needs a ton of oil with stock sticks. It's certainly not a $4000 job, though I'll do yours for that.

Mark

http://www.scaldeddog.com
Old 12-19-2012, 08:35 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

I had 3 of the 7.3's and put a fair amount of mileage on all of them. The only issue I ever had was 1 crank position sensor went bad and was intermittent so it didn't strand me.

If you ever do have to go into the motor, I would consider replacing the injectors. Not because you think they are bad, but because there are high quality after market units available that will give you better power, better economy and will outlive OEM. If you put a set in you can forget about them for a long, long time.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 12-19-2012, 10:43 AM
Hard Core 4+

Cool, thanks for the feedback guys. Yeah, the local Aspen Park Automotive guy said he's never had call to do a HPOP but certainly has with a CPS (and he strongly recommended a Ford CPS, not aftermarket). He works on a lot of PSDs up here.

The whole concern was sparked by my wife's principal's husband who has an F350 and had it happen rather suddenly and catastrophically. He is a solid guy (former Special Forces, SWAT, etc. but that is another story) so I took it seriously. It does sound like he exaggerated the cost, but then, on the road, dealers here and there might be unscrupulous.

But yeah, the CPS seems to merit consideration. Maybe preemptively replace it and carry the existing as a spare.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:25 PM
Hard Core 4+

back in the day, cps and injectors were the only thing that died on the early 7.3

john (johnny) henley
Old 12-20-2012, 09:40 PM
Hard Core 4+

no need to replace the CPS unless its bad, but I always kept a spare for mine in case...Got rid of my old 7.3 with 211K on the clock on a stock HPOP.