Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Notices

Old 12-30-2012, 07:00 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default DUI/HEI Distributors for FJ-40

Does anyone have any experience with either of these distributors from Man-A-Fre? My distributor shaft is worn and I am thinking of going this way for replacement on my 40. Thanks, and happy new year! Terry

http://www.man-a-fre.com/feature_items/duidist.htm

http://www.man-a-fre.com/pa4/lightni...tionsystem.htm

"13" Taco 4X4 Extra Cab, Firestone Air Ride, Airstream tow vehicle - "Daily Driver"
Old 12-30-2012, 09:42 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

I had one in my 40. It worked great, I ran a larger gap and never fouled any plugs, etc. It's nice to get rid of the old ignitor stuff and just have 1 wire going to the distributor. Plus, these use GM HEI parts so they are available any where if something ever went bad.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 12-30-2012, 11:35 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Randy View Post
I had one in my 40. It worked great, I ran a larger gap and never fouled any plugs, etc. It's nice to get rid of the old ignitor stuff and just have 1 wire going to the distributor. Plus, these use GM HEI parts so they are available any where if something ever went bad.
Randy, did you have the DUI or the Man-A-Fre distributor? Thanks, Terry

"13" Taco 4X4 Extra Cab, Firestone Air Ride, Airstream tow vehicle - "Daily Driver"
Old 12-31-2012, 09:07 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

It was the DUI brand. I can tell you this, one of the pins the centrifugal advance weights pivot on broke about 2 years after I installed the DUI unit. They sent me a brand new distributor at no charge, so the customer service/support from them is excellent.

I'm not sure but I wouldn't be surprised if the Man-a-fre version is made by DUI and just re-branded.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 12-31-2012, 09:21 AM
Hard Core 4+

got a dui in the blue pig and it's been trouble free
ige tlca #1431
Old 12-31-2012, 12:16 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks Randy and Ige. Appreciate your feed-back on this.

Have a Happy New Year! Terry

Old 12-31-2012, 02:53 PM
Rising Sun Secretary

Of course, as I understand it, when the aliens come and send a hugh EMP to disable all of earth's mechanisms, the DUIs will be fried but the old points and plugs will still work...so you're taking your chances!
2013 F-150 "Black Ops"
Old 01-06-2013, 01:38 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattybumppo View Post
Of course, as I understand it, when the aliens come and send a hugh EMP to disable all of earth's mechanisms, the DUIs will be fried but the old points and plugs will still work...so you're taking your chances!
Precisely why I've lined my the sheet metal in all my vehicles with tinfoil. I have a hat lined as well for the rare occasions I have to step away from WoW for a LARP date at undisclosed locations. I know the local bullies were using brain scanners to find out where we were having our battles because they always showed up and ruined everything. It has happened far less since the council made it law that we must line our hats. It also makes our cardboard swords and shields look more authentic.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:04 AM
Rising Sun Member

I think you guys need a shot of oxygen up there....