Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 05-15-2017, 09:40 PM
Rock Stacker

Default Any suggestions / help buying a Land Cruiser please

Hi all,

I attended one of your meetings a couple of months ago and mentioned that I was interested in buying a used Land Cruiser. Unfortunately, after the storm last week I have a lot less time to find a new car than I did back then.

Does anyone have any advice on how I should go about this? For instance, I saw this one https://cargur.us/gHfBh that seems OK. What should I do next? I am not familiar enough with the Land Cruiser to fly down there to check it out myself.

I could afford to pay a bit more than the price for that one but I would like a car that I can take offroad and not worry about scratching it up. So questions include: should I aim for a newer model, should I focus on buying a local vehicle, is there anyone the club recommends that could help me out? etc.

Thank you for any suggestions,

Duncan
Old 05-15-2017, 10:43 PM
Rising Sun Member

Hi - that 100 series looks very clean and has fairly low miles - 03+ get the better 5 speed auto transmission so that also helps. I myself have a tough time justifying $15k for any virgin 100 at this point - I wouldn't say that's an outstanding deal from a dollar perspective, but that truck has another 200k+ in it so if you like the color/interior I'd say go for it. The one car I bought out of Phoenix ended up being super clean. +1 for desert cars, especially since Colorado is starting to brine their roads in the winter. Terrible idea, CO!

re: getting it back to CO - Phoenix is more or less ~1k miles coming home via 40 and then 25, and can easily be done in a long day or better yet an overnight somewhere along the road. At current gas prices that's probably ~$200 to drive it back + a one-way ticket, or, you could probably get it trucked to Denver for $650-750 and keep some miles off of it. If you really want to know if it has any serious gremlins before negotiating on it, get a Pre-Purchase Inspection done on it (PPI) where the rinky-dink dealer takes it to a shop you choose in the Phoenix area and you pay for an inspection. Probably $100 or so for a PPI, but can save you tons of headaches down the road.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:50 PM
Rising Sun Member

Welcome. Probably your first choice is nailing down the body style.. so if you're into the 100 series then yes, the 2003+ is the way to go. 2005+ gets you the variable valve timing, and I think a whopping 20 more horsepower? but better fuel economy.. would be worth a little extra, IMO. that puts the 2005-2007 on the best 100's to get. Unless you want a rear locker then scrap all that 5 speed stuff and get a 99. Honestly though, you'll enjoy a newer one more than the older one... 1000 miles to 1 you won't need that rear locker.

05 525EXC, 06 TW200, 89 TW200, 09 TTR125, 07 TTR90

www.gamiviti.com

Old 05-16-2017, 07:46 AM
Rising Sun Member

Check out the slee off-road buying guide. It covers 80s and 100s really well. Slee is local to us as well.
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari intercooled turbo, Warn M12000, CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats, JDM switches, Puma OBA
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 05-16-2017, 09:52 PM
Rock Stacker

Thank you for the helpful responses. So yes I think the sweet spot for me is going to be a 2005-2007 100 series. I am open to buying something newer and a bit more expensive though.

I was having existential doubts about the gold color but that is now a moot point because the vehicle I originally linked to is no longer on the cargurus site.

Do you know if good deals ever show up at the local Denver auctions? I have a contact who buys normal cars at them every week.

My Infiniti was towed away yesterday and I am now taking the bus to work. So if anyone comes up with any suggestions please let me know. I would be happy to fly someplace to pick up a car if that was necessary.

In the meantime I'll keep bumbling around online looking for a car.

Thanks,

Duncan
Old 05-17-2017, 03:41 PM
Rising Sun Member

If you can stretch your budget to an '08+ 200 series - they're frequently under $30k now - you might enjoy that more over the long haul, especially at our altitude, where the 100+hp additional grunt and the 6 speed transmission of the 200 really shines.

There's a guy on Mud that's local and trying to move his for $27k:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/200...eciated.989371

Given what people are asking for late-run 100s, I would call that 200 a far better value, but YMMV.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:25 AM
Rock Stacker

Tremek - thanks for the suggestion about getting a 200 and the link to the ih8mud post. I have messaged the owner and hopefully it hasn't sold yet.

There is also this https://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/6139448329.html

Does the club have a recommendation for a mechanic who does pre - purchase inspections?

Thanks,
Old 05-21-2017, 09:45 AM
Rising Sun Member

Re: the link above, that dealer is just a few miles from me (I'm down in Parker) - let me know if you would want me to swing by and take a look at it.

I'm not sure if the club has any specific recommendations but I and my dad have been taking cars to A&H Auto Care near Arapahoe & Jordan for almost 20 years and they have always done right by us. Their hourly rate is only $95, which is a good bit less expensive than most shops, and Gene (owner/runs the front desk) is an extremely straight shooter.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:44 PM
Vice Commander

I used Carmax to purchase my 200 (which if you can afford a 200...do it, there is no comparison between it and the 100). They will ship any car they have in the country to a local dealer for free (at least that was their policy a year ago).

Key things to check on your 200.

-Front suspension alignment. Mainly to make sure the eccentrics are not frozen.

-if you plan to do a lift, check that the KDSS system is serviceable (earlier 200's tend to be fine, it's the later ones that get rusty).

-check to make sure the water pump is not leaking.

Cheers!!

2008 mall cruiser - aka Black Beauty - ramps good
84 FJ60 low gears, locked, fun, rebuilt-2FE - gone
1995 Toyota Camry, 4x4 at heart

"In God [i] trust. All others, bring data"
-E. Deming
Old 05-22-2017, 06:52 PM
Rising Sun Member

ToyCar Care at Potomic and Arapahoe Rd is a place I trust. Been going there for 12 years. The GM has a 40 and they always treat us right

That is the same dealer I bought Rachel's GX470 from 2 weeks ago. Nice guys. I live just north of there.
16 RX450
16 Kimberley Karavan