Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 07-08-2016, 01:13 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default 24 hours of Lemons

Saw this the other night on Leno's garage which btw is a pretty interesting show in my opinion. Basically it's a 24 hour race of cars that cost 500 bucks or less. Safety gear doesn't go against the 500 only cost of car and performance upgrades. This looks like a blast and I'm thinking about organizing a team to compete next year. Lots great skills in the club and wanted to see if any interest in this. It's a 24 hour race so more emphasis on keeping the car running vs speed. Would probably cost around $200 per person if we get 5 to 10 people. Everybody on the team would get a chance to drive if they want. Would be shifts for the 24 hour
Here is the website so you can read more.
https://www.24hoursoflemons.com

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 07-08-2016, 01:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

The roadkill guys have run this race a couple times with their junk. Check out their show on youtube on motor trends channel if you haven't already. The old shows are better than their newer ones in my opinion.
TLCA #23154
1984 Toyota Pickup "The Geisha" 22RE conversion
1994 Toyota 4runner -Project vehicle
Old 07-08-2016, 02:22 PM
Hard Core 4+

I have tons of experience racing 24 Hour events, although not with internal combustion. I'd totally be into doing this. BTW, they have a Facebook page, too.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:42 PM
Rising Sun Member

I'd be interested.
99 F350 reserve hauler
03 F350 crew cab dually the bigger hauler
04 Lance 1121
90 fastiva r.i.p. 336k
01 vw golf daily driver
KDDHQ
Old 07-08-2016, 10:48 PM
Rising Sun Member

I'll check out their channel Bill. Always looking for good stuff. Sounds good guys. Figure I'll start an email chain for people who are interested and can start kicking around ideas. Also would love any specialty skills help from club members that maybe don't have the time to do something like this but want to help us out. One thing I know we will need is someone who has access to a hydraulic tube bender and the skills to run it making a roll cage. They seem to be pretty strict on safety inspection and they mention that most tech inspection fails are for the roll cage.

Old 07-09-2016, 04:23 PM
Rising Sun Member

I raced in this twice back east. It's a ton of fun. It's not consecutive 24 hrs. You spend the night drinking and fixing your pos cars. I'm in if we get something going on this.

1988 FJ62 "Burt," built by amateurs with a BFH and duct tape; SOA, stretched, 5.29 gears, ARB locked front, lockrite rear, chromoly shafts/hubs, rear disk brakes, transfer case e-brake, 6-shooters, custom protection/rear bumper, modified tacoma ARB front bumper, TR beadlocks w/ 39's, and some other junk.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:34 PM
Hard Core 4+

I've done it twice in Denver. It's a great time, limit your drivers to 4 and you'll have a lot more fun. Too many people you don't get to race as much and even less if you break down.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:37 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Kimmel View Post
I've done it twice in Denver. It's a great time, limit your drivers to 4 and you'll have a lot more fun. Too many people you don't get to race as much and even less if you break down.
Good to hear it was a fun time. Did you build your cage or have it done somewhere?

Old 07-10-2016, 09:15 PM
Hard Core 4+

We built the whole thing. Took a 93 Mitsubishi Eclipse and gutted it completely. Added a cage and tires. Plan on two sets of tires and changing brake pads. Drive to keep the car alive, we needed a clutch at the end of each race.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:46 AM
Rising Sun Member

I raced 24hrs of Lemons at HPR two years ago. Plan on spending MUCH more than $200 per person. You need a full race spec fire suit, fire spec driving shoes, gloves, neck brace and helmet. I think lemons offers a package deal on safety equipment for each driver for around $500. You cant share safety equipment either, each driver needs their own kit for safety inspection as well as fueling.

Dont expect to pay $500 for a car and race it.

-We had almost $500 in the in-car fire suppression system (full race spec)
-Driver seat and harness have to pass current race spec. (No swap meet items here)
-Cage has to meet race spec. (No bolt in's, and they will throw the book at you for any issues they see)

I bet we had $3500 into the car by the time it got to the track.

We had a gutted Miata with 250,000 miles on it. We cut two coils out of each spring and that's about it. We paid a couple hundred bucks for some used track spec tires and raced the hell out of it. By the end of the 18 hrs, (HPR does not have lights) we went through a clutch slave, heater core, two sets of brake pads and possibly a rear end.

It was a great time, and Id love to do it again. I should have kept two buck chuck to have the first ever landcruiser in a lemons event.

A couple notable things to keep in mind of.

-Stay away from anything related to a chevy 350
-Stay away from anything German. (Unless you are audi of denver)
-If you want to finish, run something slow and very very common... (Miata, civic, toyota camry, celica... etc.

Before I pitch you away from the idea of racing lemons... The feeling you get going 105mph into a turn next to a checker cab is priceless.

Here's a couple photos from the race. The photo of the airport tug goes to show how crazy people are about this race. They are swapping the flathead v-8 out of the airport tug they bought from the Denver TSA on their way to the race. They drove that pickup to the race and burned several gallons of oil on the way. They made it a couple foggy laps before they blew the motor. Spent all night swapping the motors, just in time to make a 15 mph lap around the track "Completing" the race. I think they only made 5 laps.
Attached Images

77 VW Beetle
86 XR600 Stretched. Lowered. Hardtailed

Long live the carburetor!