Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-22-2013, 01:18 PM
Trail Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
It's better than an auto locker. My $0.02 is that selectable lockers are the only thing safe for front diffs on snowy roads. That's a personal thing, some people are comfortable with limited slips.

I decided to sell my Air Lockers because in the front especially it took up quite a bit of volume in the housing and didn't leave much room for lube (less than a quart IIRC). I don't do enough rock crawling to see the benefit of a front locker but do spend a lot of time in 4WD high and in 2WD with hubs locked.
Well, you have convinced me now that a Spool is the only way to go!

88 Toyota XCab Pickup- Daily Driver
Old 01-22-2013, 01:32 PM
Hard Core 4+

Yeah, a spool is predictable...

My feeling for IFS is that a locker is needed for rock crawling to prevent blowing up CV axles but the other compromises didn't fit our use. But we haven't done much harder stuff since 2008 on the Rubicon, that trip got any remaining need to seek-and-destroy with the truck out of our system.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 01-22-2013, 06:10 PM
Trail Ready

The other suggestion that came up was just lock one hub on the front???

Old 01-22-2013, 10:56 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

I will put my $0.02 in. If this was my truck and I had to fix what broke I would either go with an an open diff in the front or a selectable locker like a stock Toyota electric or an ARB.

If it were my own rig.

Just sayin'
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 01-23-2013, 06:34 AM
Hard Core 4+

He's got IFS still Jeff, so an Air Locker is the only option for selectable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evrgrnmtnman View Post
The other suggestion that came up was just lock one hub on the front???
What problem are you trying to solve doing this? The steering issue? You can run this way on trails to make steering possible, if that's your goal. What you'll have to do is get in and out changing one or both hub locks when you hit hard sections and hope you pick the right one that does not lift. Lifting the locked hub will be just like going back to 2WD with no help from the front end. Unlocking a hub with a Tru Trac wouldn't change anything, that's just like an open diff, so lock both. This is only something that you'd do with a locker or spool. It will wear out the diff faster, although I think alternating which side is locked will help.

On the highway it would probably make the steering unsafe. Open both or lock both hubs. Locking one hub will make the truck want to torque steer (sort of the opposite of both locked with a diff lock, which would make the truck /not/ steer), more so with a rear traction aid. If you don't have to drive the truck in the rain or snow, you could be fine, but there's no reason to lock the front hubs at all on dry pavement.

If you do it all the time it sorta defeats the purpose of a locker. The main reason IMHO to run a front locker is to reduce breaking CV axles and to give you that marginal increase in crawling traction. The rear locker is where you gain the majority of off highway benefit. The main downside to a rear locker is slick pavement and, of course, sharp turns. Slick pavement is solved by locking the front hubs and running in 4WD High (which I occasionally do even in the rain) and sharp turns are just adapting your driving style and rotating tires often.

A selectable locker is really the only way to go in the front, followed by an open. Any other way in the front just solves too few problems (as in specific trail spots) for being a PITA the other 99% of the time.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 01-23-2013, 09:49 AM
Hard Core 4+

I had both when my 4runner was IFS.

Tru-track up front= broke the short side inner just like you.
In the deep snow it it was better than open diff. On roadway snow it was OK too. A little harder to turn in 4x4 around town. In the rocks it was no better than open. Lift a tire and you might as well run an open diff. No. using the brakes didn't help lock it up. that is how I broke the inner short side output shaft.

Lock right up front = broke outer CV joint instead. In the snow it was fine as long as you only wanted to go straight and all your tires were equally worn out. Pretty sketch on roads in town and hard to turn in 4x4 sometimes. Deep snow was fine.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:03 AM
Hard Core 4+

I agree with Rudy, deep snow is the only time I miss a front locker and chains help overcome that.

If you're hard core crawling all the time you'd need a locker, but you will break lots of front end parts either way. That is why I say ARB or open in IFS, anything else is wasted money that should be going towards a solid axle if you're seriously crawling.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:16 PM
Trail Ready

Just to add, I already have a Full Detroit Locker in the Rear and have loved it, even on the streets, just need to know when to let off the gas pedal. I guess the other issue is always money, and that is why a ARB seems to be not a option right now.. Most the time I don't have to use 4x4 with the rear locker anyway, only when it starts to snowing, so I guess just tread lightly with a front locker and don't speed around turns..Goes in Tuesday to Jesse at ATLR...