Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 01-28-2013, 08:12 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Lasik opinions wanted

I am thinking of having it done and want opinions and references. I have had contacts since I was 15 and I guess its time.
Gary
Old 01-28-2013, 10:15 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by waggoner5 View Post
I am thinking of having it done and want opinions and references. I have had contacts since I was 15 and I guess its time.
Gary
I had the radial kerototomy surgery done on my eyes back in the early 90's when Lasik was just coming into vogue. They couldnt do lasik on me because my eyes were so bad. I was even borderline for the RK surgery. But since I was a cop and almost legally blind if my glasses got knocked off, they did it for me.

Because they had to make so many cuts to correct my astygmatism, I had a lot of issues early on with starbursting at night with lights and I lost some of my night vision.

But in the end, it was SO MUCH BETTER not having to wear glasses. I always water skied, scuba dived and did lots of other activities and now I could see without glasses and really enjoy them.

Nowadays Lasik is very refined and pretty safe. I would do it again myself in a heartbeat especially if I could have gotten lasik instead of RK. There is always a very small risk of something going wrong, but that can happen too when getting a flu shot. As long as the doctor doesn't think you are at high risk for some reason, I would do it.

I went to Dr. Dishler for my RK and I know he has been doing Lasik for like 25 years.
Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 01-28-2013, 10:34 AM
Lifted

Had mine done 7 years ago - monovision - very happy with the results.
Dr William Hines - hines-sight.com
Team doctor for many of the Denver sports teams.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:51 AM
Hard Core 4+

15 years ago with a tune up 8 years ago no charge. I was 7+ diopters nearsighted. Would do it again even though I had an early adopter complication. You will have some dry eye as a result. I use wetting drops upon awaking and occasionally as needed.

Near 20-20 with monovision reading ability at 56. Yeah I like it.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:24 AM
Hard Core 4+

root and i both had lasik at done by dishler. would do it again in a heartbeat. i don't know if my sight is as good now as it was six years ago or so, but i can still read streetsigns, which i couldn't before, i can still read the subtitles on foreign films, i can find a correct house address....etc.

i have been hard on my eyes. i have always had dry eye and never did anything about it...it's worse now. i use drops a bit more but not as often as i should. also, i was only two weeks into recovery when i splashed diesel fuel in my eye. i've gotten all kinds of crap in my eye. even had a chunk of rust dug out that had been in there for over a month, so if my sight's a bit worse, i'm sure i'm to blame.
ige tlca #1431
Old 01-28-2013, 11:24 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

My Lasik was done at Dishler. No complaints and no regrets. Snowrun had his done at Dishler as well.
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 01-28-2013, 11:31 AM
Rising Sun Secretary

I am scheduled at Spivak next week. I am very nearsighted with a little astigmatism in the worse eye. I am not going to do monovision since I have no problem throwing on some readers for reading/computer/wrenching when necessary, and I want to see as clearly as possible in the field. I guess the process has been around long enough for me to risk it now. Will let you know.
2013 F-150 "Black Ops"
Old 01-28-2013, 11:34 AM
Rising Sun Member

I recommend it, but don't go to the places like icon, go to a well known Doctor. I had mine done in 1999 by Dr Roberts and it was 20/20. 10 years later it started to adjust due to my old eyes. Nothing bad went to 40/20. Dr Roberts no longer did them so I went ti OCON for what I thought would be an easy touch-up. They were nice and kept working it, but I had to have multiple procedures because they did not get it right and the right eye is now overcorrected (slightly).

Everyone I knew who went to a well known Dr like Dishler or Spivak had a good experiance
02 Kimberley Kamper
09 BMW Z4 sDrive30i
Old 01-28-2013, 12:46 PM
Rising Sun Member

My wife and i both got ours done at Denver Eye Surgeons at Denver West. She had Dr. Kumar who was much better than my doc - Dr. Stahl. I highly recommend Mr. Kumar.

I had to get PRK done instead of lasik because my lens was too thin for what needed to be done.

My vision in my rt. eye didn't heal back properly. I don't think I took all those special drops as often as i was supposed too the 2 weeks after surgery. Fortunately a year later my right eye healed back to close to what is supposed to be. Make sure you take those drops religiously!
Old 01-28-2013, 07:23 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treerootCO View Post
My Lasik was done at Dishler. No complaints and no regrets. Snowrun had his done at Dishler as well.
Dishler was awesome. I was the 1 in 3000 that had complications and they were amazing. I now have 20/15 vision and would do it over in a second.
TLCA#21035
My Cruiser videos on Youtube