Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 01-28-2013, 11:35 PM
Hard Core 4+

I went with 20/20 three years ago and am very happy. Did the mono vision and can read up close and see the road signs. Went in last week to have a check up and am still 20/15, I went with them after three people I knew went there and were all happy.

Just do it you will love waking up in the morning being able to see across the room ad everything is on focus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 01-29-2013, 08:47 AM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks for everyones replies. I will have it done soon.
Old 01-29-2013, 12:01 PM
Wincher

While I'm not local, Dr. Thomas Tooma out here in SoCal is one of the best in the nation. I had it done back in '98 and couldn't be happier after all these years. Still 20/20 in one eye and 20/15 in the other. No dry eyes, no circles around night lights, nothing. I can still follow golf balls hit from a tee below my house all the way to the green some 600+ yards away.

My optometrist suggested I at least try monovision with contacts, which he offered gratis, to see if I liked it. I opted to have both eyes corrected completely even knowing I was borderline needing reading glasses back then. Played tennis, golf and skied frequently back then and just thought correcting both eyes would be best. It's about all I regret not doing to at least see if monovision would work via contacts prior to the procedure. Like you, I'd been wearing contacts since my early teens. Now that I'm wearing reading glasses for everything and progressive computer glasses literally all day at work in front of a computer, I'd like to turn back the clock and give monovision a try.
'94 White LC; Kaymar Rear Bumper w/tire carrier; Hanna Sliders; ARB winch ready Front Bumper; Slee Transfer Case Skid Plate; BFG MT KM2 285's, OME 850/863 Heavy 2" lift, INTI Rack; Warn M12000 Winch, Snorkel; Sputnik!, M101CDN
TLCA Member #13420; KI6SGO
Old 01-29-2013, 06:54 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

I had it done by Dishler over 10 years ago. My vision is now nearsighted again, requiring about -1.5 diopters in correction. When I went to renew my driver's license last year, I had to wear my glasses again. Nevertheless, it's still way better than it was before surgery -- I remove my glasses for working on the computer and reading, which is great.

I had tons of complications, resulting in 6 surgeries. I put it all on my blog a few years ago -- check it out here.

Would I do it all again? Probably not.
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:05 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by nattybumppo View Post
I am scheduled at Spivak next week. I am very nearsighted with a little astigmatism in the worse eye. I am not going to do monovision since I have no problem throwing on some readers for reading/computer/wrenching when necessary, and I want to see as clearly as possible in the field. I guess the process has been around long enough for me to risk it now. Will let you know.
I thought so too. I ended up with monovision as my eyes aged, and had my right eye touched up. I am right eye dominant and my right eye has better distance vision, my left- reading. Just the way it happened rather than by design.

The result? If you are sure to get your dominant eye distance corrected, and the other one slightly nearsighted, you will LOVE IT AS YOU AGE. They aren't just making that stuff up.

If you have the reverse result though (dominant eye nearsighted, other one distance) your brain won't like it. They are much better at this stuff now than when I first had it done, though... reconsider monovision.

I am constantly reading, working on the 'puter all day, then doing things like hunting, and despite old eyes am able to do it all without glasses. Glasses make it easier on the eyes but they are optional.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:13 PM
Hard Core 4+

Bill is right on, I did the same and love it! You can always get the other one done but not reversed like metioned before.

Find a good Doc and join the old mans club that can see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner;
keys = Man that is a whole story

TLCA #6136
Going under the knife again !

85 4runner Marlin Ultimate 5" lift 40" MTR's Soft top and doors Towed to Moab by the Big Blue Whale, 07.5 Dodge Mega Cab Laramie 4" lift covered and chiped No more slow lane for me
Old 01-30-2013, 03:01 PM
Rising Sun Secretary

Bill, my right eye is my bad one, which means I shoot pistols wrong-eyed (right handed but left eye dominant). Also, the bad eye is so bad that even without any glasses when reading, I am still primarily relying on my better eye. Makes rifle shooting a PITA. The Doc said that having both eyes fully corrected would be like seeing through my glasses now, which seems like it would work out well though I would still have to put on readers to read at less than arm's length. I figured that after correction, as my eyes aged, the bad one would still be the bad one, and my brain would not be too confused. Also, I really want to see clearly what I am shooting at...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
I thought so too. I ended up with monovision as my eyes aged, and had my right eye touched up. I am right eye dominant and my right eye has better distance vision, my left- reading. Just the way it happened rather than by design.

The result? If you are sure to get your dominant eye distance corrected, and the other one slightly nearsighted, you will LOVE IT AS YOU AGE. They aren't just making that stuff up.

If you have the reverse result though (dominant eye nearsighted, other one distance) your brain won't like it. They are much better at this stuff now than when I first had it done, though... reconsider monovision.

I am constantly reading, working on the 'puter all day, then doing things like hunting, and despite old eyes am able to do it all without glasses. Glasses make it easier on the eyes but they are optional.
2013 F-150 "Black Ops"
Old 01-30-2013, 08:32 PM
Hard Core 4+

I hear ya...
Easy to tell which eye is really dominant vs. compensatory. Go with what your brain is already used to.
You say now that reading glasses are no big deal... wait until you depend on them... BTDT.
KDRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:54 AM
Hard Core 4+

I tried the mono vision thing using only one contact. Gave it a few days and couldn't get adjusted. Tried it in reverse and got the same result. I have worn reading glasses for 3 years so I feel that will just be the way it is. I'm an old guy too...
Old 01-31-2013, 10:44 AM
Wincher

Quote:
Originally Posted by waggoner5 View Post
I tried the mono vision thing using only one contact. Gave it a few days and couldn't get adjusted. Tried it in reverse and got the same result. I have worn reading glasses for 3 years so I feel that will just be the way it is. I'm an old guy too...
Hey - at least you tried and know!
'94 White LC; Kaymar Rear Bumper w/tire carrier; Hanna Sliders; ARB winch ready Front Bumper; Slee Transfer Case Skid Plate; BFG MT KM2 285's, OME 850/863 Heavy 2" lift, INTI Rack; Warn M12000 Winch, Snorkel; Sputnik!, M101CDN
TLCA Member #13420; KI6SGO