Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 02-11-2013, 08:41 PM
Hard Core 4+

I own an Eazi-Awn 1200 Series. Love it. Roof Top Tents are not for everybody. Theres things i'd change with my 1200, support post to be specific. Pinched at the bottom, where they mount to the base (mine cracked, Thanks Equipt for replacement!). ARB did better with this. Take down and set up is not much more than a ground, it's just what your used to, prefer.

I'd say check other folks set up first then go from there.

Recomend a fridge first.

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 02-11-2013, 08:48 PM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bh4rnnr View Post

Recomend a fridge first.
ARB fridge and an inverter are already installed. Did that right away. This was supposed to be just a fishing truck. Then Romer and Nakman told me to come check out a Rising Sun meeting......

TLCA Social Media
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 02-11-2013, 08:49 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
Martin I like that set up a lot! Wanna sell it?

It looks like some tents don't open flat. Some have a slight "V" to them. The ARB's (Romers and Martins pics) look totally flat when open. The Tepui's look "V" shaped in their pics??
Sure, make me an offer.

They don't open completely flat when there is no one inside. There are straps that cross over the internal frame that help support it and it seems like there is some tension there that keeps them from opening flat when empty. When you're inside, it seems to flatten out. I've never noticed it feeling like it was V shaped when inside, but it is noticeable from outside.

'85 FJ60
Old 02-11-2013, 08:52 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
^^^ Good catch Tim! Dang that's funny......I can't believe I missed that! What's happening to me?
You're married now. So cut the group time in half, and double the solo...

www.gamiviti.com

Old 02-11-2013, 08:58 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to treerootCO

Bam! One man RTT install

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  154.6 KB
pride is ego, the word I had lost was dignity. The quality or state of being worthy of esteem or respect.
Ptarmigan build thread - 95FZJ80
www.root45.com
www.risingsun4x4club.org

TLCA #14133

Old 02-11-2013, 09:18 PM
Rising Sun Member

Stan

I started with the Jayco Pop-up. Was the offroad version, but the partricle board interior would need some repairing ocassionally. Truth be told with a young family, its the right approach. Kids get bored. Sitting at the kitchen table coloring or watching a movie really helps with family trips. I sold it when the girls grew up and went to college/moved out.

I used an RTT (Oasis II) when Rachel and I went on the Rubicon in 2008. Being an adult then it wasnt too bad for the two of us.

I got the AT Horizon, wasnt for me and a bit cramped when Rachel came along. Sold that before a year was up

Really like the Kimberley. Queen bed for two and the floor is the same size and can sleep two more inside with heat if needed. Mostly just me these days and it sets up pretty quick and is comfortable for me.

I bought the RTT because I was told I could not take the Kimberely on the Maze. There was really only one spot it would have been a challenge. The RTT was pretty good and I wouldnt hesitate to take it on a trip for just me in the tent on an expedition run with the group

With a young family, the RTT would be difficult as a regular camping rig. Maybe OK for the ocassional. Great when you go with the club on an expedition run that doesnt work for a camper.

In all honesty, for a family camping rig, I would look to a pop-up. It will be a lot easier with a family as a regular camper. The RTT may work for the one trail run now and then, but it will be cramped.

What I am saying is you should figure out how to get a camper with some offroad capability and either tent camp of get a inexpensive RTT for those solo camping trips.

A Popup is much better with kids and you can get a used Jayco Baja or Evolution fairly inexpensive. When they are happy you get to be happy
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 02-11-2013, 10:14 PM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Good info Ken. Thanks for that.......makes sense.

TLCA Social Media
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 02-11-2013, 10:40 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Another vote for the popup with small kids. Really makes for a happy wife, the worse the weather is the better the camper. I power the microwave with the inverter in the 100 for 3-minute mac & cheese. This is our current setup... was about $2k used then a couple years later another $2k for the SOA and toyhauler mod.

This was our first camper, back when we just had one kid. Also SOA, but smaller 8' box and it got really small feeling when that pack & play came out again. I miss the tow vehicle more than the camper.
Attached Images

www.gamiviti.com

Old 02-12-2013, 10:22 AM
Club Treasurer

I seem to have developed some sort of irresistable attraction to getting one of these. Even though I know it would set me back about $20k to get it set up the way I want.

I really need somebody to talk me out of it.

67 FJ40 LC Tan
94 RN101 PU Pewter
95 FZJ80 LC Red
99 UZJ100 LC Black
00 VZN185 4Runner Highlander Jade
00 VZN185 4Runner SR5 Desert Dune
Old 02-12-2013, 10:35 AM
Lifted

That thing looks AWESOME!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGoat View Post
I seem to have developed some sort of irresistable attraction to getting one of these. Even though I know it would set me back about $20k to get it set up the way I want.

I really need somebody to talk me out of it.