Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 02-13-2013, 01:48 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakman View Post
what?? sorry, I think I've got mine turned up too high..

As for milk, we get ours delivered. Agreed on the hormone comments, and watching Food Inc. is enough to really startle you. Just wish organic wasn't so synonymous with smaller, more expensive, and more perishable.
For what it's worth a lot of organic milk dairies have to ultra pasteurize their milk due to scarcity of distribution centers. To quote a website:

Two types of pasteurization processes are practiced in the United States. The first, traditional pasteurization, heats the milk to at least 165°F for 15 seconds. This is commonly referred to as "High Temperature, Short Time," or HTST pasteurization. Heating the milk removes 99.9% of the bacteria in the milk, which gives HTST milk a printed shelf life of 16 - 21 days from the date it was packaged.

Ultra pasteurization, the most widely used pasteurization process for milk in Europe and throughout the world, is a more recently developed process. The ultra pasteurization process is often referred to as “Ultra High Temperature,” or UHT pasteurization. The UHT process heats the milk to 280° F for only two seconds, and eliminates a larger percentage of bacteria than HTST pasteurization.

So, most of the organic milk I've seen in the grocery store, unless from a local dairy has been UHT, and stays fresher longer.

2010 4Runner Trail 3" Lift, UCAs, and 285 Goodyear Duratracs

1982 FJ40 Green 4" Rough Country Lift, RE-smogged, and getting better every day! (Mid - Resto)

email: adamkingf5371 at yahoo.com
Old 02-13-2013, 04:40 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
does organic even mean anything anymore?
In general it is the only label that has any meaning. Natural, pure, etc. are undefined beyond what the supplier agrees it means. Often products can be as good or better than the USDA. It requires a lot of paperwork to stay compliant so smaller firms often don't pursue it simply because of the red tape. To carry an 'organic' label according to the USDA requires that pesticides, herbicides, hormones, ionizing radiation and GMO are not used. Some companies do things differently than the USDA requires and won't carry the term 'organic' but do fulfill other certifications, such as the Non-GMO Project, that might be a better choice and actually be pretty much otherwise organic and just can't say so legally.

There is some question with respect to GMO because 95% of the corn grown in this country is genetically modified, so even if the strain used was supposed to be heirloom or non-GMO, it's almost certain to have been contaminated at some point. This is one place where the USDA organic might not be as good as a Non-GMO Verified label. The Non-GMO is likely to actually have a lower percentage or zero contamination. To do this the company will reduce or eliminate corn (and soy BTW) completely.

The USDA just says producers must attempt to avoid GMO contact via process and not fall below 70% organic for multiple ingredients, so if 30% of the product is GMO corn and the producer otherwise follows the requirements it could still be called organic. But specifically testing for the absence of GMO is what the Non-GMO project requires even if some other non-organic process happens.

We get our milk directly from the dairy, we're cow share owners at Windsor Dairy. That is a whole different situation, though.

“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” -- Kenneth E. Boulding
Old 02-13-2013, 04:47 PM
Rising Sun member

Dave, what do you not know about?
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 02-13-2013, 05:11 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
Dave, what do you not know about?
A lot I don't know. I just happen to have read about all of this since we've started up a small farm. A very, very small 1 acre farm, White Rose Farm, LLC. Plus over the past few years we've taken a lot more care in what we eat.

“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” -- Kenneth E. Boulding
Old 02-13-2013, 05:18 PM
Rising Sun member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
A lot I don't know. I just happen to have read about all of this since we've started up a small farm. A very, very small 1 acre farm, White Rose Farm, LLC. Plus over the past few years we've taken a lot more care in what we eat.
Oh yeah I forgot about that. Hope that venture is going well!
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, Metric TLC leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 02-13-2013, 05:28 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

generic comes from any cow. non generic comes Holstein, Guernsey, Brown Swiss etc.
TLCA#4180