Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 06-11-2014, 07:14 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default HELP! Plugs stuck in 99 4R

Howdy all,

Working on 's 99 4Runner last night and (tried) replacing plugs and wires. Passenger side bank, no problem. But plug wires on #2 and 6 simply disintegrated when I tried pulling them. One sheared off at the plug, so there's nothing to get hold of. #6 is about to do the same.

Any ideas before I eat a tow bill and repair shop bill to finish these two stupid plugs???

Help!
Matt
TLCA #22433
1993 FZJ80 - locked & lifted. Needs some armor.

Last edited by imhighlander; 06-11-2014 at 07:43 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:45 AM
Lifted

What do you mean, "nothing to get ahold of"? Is the hex still there to get the socket onto? You can borrow any of my tools if they will help.
TLCA#22551
Old 06-11-2014, 07:57 AM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks, Mike.

There is just enough of the plastic boot on the #2 cylinder plug to keep me from getting to the metal hex. I've tried chiseling away the plastic and picking it out with very long needle nose tweezers, but can't get any more. I'm headed to NAPA to see if they have any better tools that might help. I may even run down the hill to Harbor Freight to see what they have.

I think I have enough of the plastic boot on #6 that I can reach it with the proper tool plug wire pulling tool. (Every other install I've ever done I've been able to pull the plugs with my fingers.)
TLCA #22433
Old 06-11-2014, 08:27 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default HELP! Plugs stuck in 99 4R

I would try a shop vac to get all the little pieces out. You've got the right idea to keep trying to break it apart. And twist before removing.

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988 Hilux, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: lift, locker.

"RedChili"-1987 Super Beast

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 06-11-2014, 08:50 AM
Rising Sun Member

Yeah, I've tried the shop vac but I may not have enough vacuum on it. I've also been blowing out bits with compressed air (since the plug is still in there). Gotta get a little "real work" done this AM but will be working on this a good part of today. Not my original plan.
TLCA #22433
Old 06-11-2014, 08:57 AM
Rising Sun Member

I seem to remember seeing some spark plug boot pullers....

this is what I was thinking of!

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2415&ppt=C2371

HF has this version:

http://www.harborfreight.com/spark-p...ler-65440.html

also, if you can stick a long skinny thing in between the boot and the plug to pry it away a but you can hose it with WD-40 or something to get it popped loose. that's if the back part is ripped off and you can get in there. An old mechanic i knew removed rad hoses like that. stick a screw driver in between the hose and fitting and use the long nozzle of a brake cleaner can to squirt something in there to provide some lubrication.
82 FJ40
Old 06-11-2014, 09:05 AM
Lifted

I have a pneumatic vacuum with lots of attachments if you need.
TLCA#22551
Old 06-11-2014, 12:23 PM
Lifted

Hey, I talked to Matco. He didn't have one on the truck, but, he said guys use theese:

...and they come right out. Looks to me like maybe you could bevel the edge of the right size pipe. Anyhow, good luck.
TLCA#22551
Old 06-11-2014, 12:31 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyhcrana View Post
Looks to me like maybe you could bevel the edge of the right size pipe. Anyhow, good luck.
that's a great idea!
82 FJ40
Old 06-11-2014, 01:16 PM
Rising Sun Member

That indeed looks brilliant.

I decided to go to Harbor Freight and buy up about $50 worth of every kind of long, narrow pliers they had. I now have straight and offset long hemostats, really long needlenose pliers (straight and 45 degree), some cool needlenose hose pullers, etc.

Some combination of these finally got the darn boots off. #6 was pretty easy; I just stuffed one side of the long, straight hemostat in the wire hole as far as it would go, locked them in, and gently but deliberately noodled it out.

#2 continued to be a massive pain. I was finally able to break it all up enough to blow out the loose bits with compressed air and then got the socket on the plug.

Because her car is sitting outside at the moment I'll be getting more work done while the mountain squall passing through Evergreen blows over.

Thanks for the advice, gang. Hopefully the wires will be straightforward (should be) and we'll be back in business later this afternoon.

Matt
TLCA #22433