Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-04-2013, 07:16 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default No Turn Signals after Radio Removal

Coincidence?

So, I had to remove my new Stereo yesterday for issues with the actual stereo. When I was diagnosing the issues with the stereo with a Crutchfield consultant, I removed several of the LC fuses to make sure the issues were not with my vehicle. After I got the stereo out, I went for a drive and now have NO TURN SIGNALS. I, again, checked the truck fuses and they look fine.

To add to the story, I have heard some weird clicking sounds in the past month or so when my turn signals are on. The flasher in the foot board sounded like it was "clicking" way faster than the blinker on the dash display.

Any ideas? I consider myself an electrical midget, so I'm not sure where else to check. Could doing anything with the stereo have anything to do with the turn signals? Also, if a flasher fails, do the turn signals completely not turn on, or do they turn on and not flash? I believe when I had this happen in another vehicle, the light would turn on, but it just wouldn't blink.
"Just because California does it, doesn't make it a good idea, or the right way to do it! If you like California so much, please move there. Don't make the rest of us live in the same HORROR!!!"
Old 03-04-2013, 08:09 AM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Put the fuses back in!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 03-04-2013, 08:59 AM
Lifted

Make sure you plugged in your hazzard switch.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARGEONE View Post
The flasher in the foot board sounded like it was "clicking" way faster than the blinker on the dash display.
While there may indeed be some additional noises under your dash, the relay flashing faster than the lights is impossible. There may be a delay between the incandescent bulbs and the audible clicking, but that's the most that can happen to that effect.

Quote:
Any ideas? I consider myself an electrical midget, so I'm not sure where else to check. Could doing anything with the stereo have anything to do with the turn signals? Also, if a flasher fails, do the turn signals completely not turn on, or do they turn on and not flash? I believe when I had this happen in another vehicle, the light would turn on, but it just wouldn't blink.
What vehicle are we talking about? In older Toyotas (40 series), when something was wrong with anything in the flasher circuit either the lights would come on and stay on (not blink) or not come on at all (in the event of a burnt fuse, say). In newer trucks the turn signals will flash double time or not at all if there's an issue.

It's very possible that a wire was knocked loose, something was bumped and shorted, etc. First course of action should be to look around and see if anything is obviously amiss. Failing anything obvious, find the wiring diagram for this particular vehicle and isolate the circuit (or post link a hi-res file here and I'll run it through Illustrator and highlight the important bits for you). Once you've isolated the circuit and components thereof, break out the multimeter and go to town.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:47 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefatkid View Post
Make sure you plugged in your hazzard switch.
Ding...Ding...Ding...

I can almost guarantee we have a winner. Because I am expecting a new stereo in the next day or so, I did not go through the trouble of hooking up all of the switches. The hazard switch is not currently hooked up. So, if this would cause my issue, then this is definitely it...it makes sense, but i didn't even think about the fact that not having the Hazard switch in line would prevent the signals from working...makes sense since the Hazare lights would take precedence over the turn signals.

I knew there were much smarter people than me on this forum that would be able to say (without saying it, of course)...."You dumbars...you forgot to hook up the Hazard Switch!!!"

Thanks, Guys!

And, if that is not the problem, I'm sure UB is right!!!
"Just because California does it, doesn't make it a good idea, or the right way to do it! If you like California so much, please move there. Don't make the rest of us live in the same HORROR!!!"
Old 03-04-2013, 12:24 PM

That would qualify as a loose wire. Maybe a loose screw as well! ;-)
Old 03-04-2013, 12:59 PM
Rising Sun Member

I did admit I'm an electrical midget!
Old 03-04-2013, 04:09 PM

What you say:

Quote:
I'm an electrical midget!
What I think:

Old 03-05-2013, 06:08 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre6000 View Post
That would qualify as a loose wire. Maybe a loose screw as well! ;-)
We need a "LIKE" button on this forum...
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 03-06-2013, 10:20 AM
Rising Sun Member

Funny. It took me almost a year of wondering why my 2nd gear start button stopped working on the 80 - until I pulled the console and saw the wire connector resting on the floor....