Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > Trip and Event Reports

Notices

Old 03-17-2013, 05:46 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Moab Trail Leader/Gunner Training

Thanks for the great time. Met the Book Cliff Cruisers. Crossed the Deloris River. Ran some fun difficult trails. Moab Rim, Cliff Hanger and Behind the Rocks. Dave did an excellent job providing hot coffee and breakfast burritos. We drank some beers and roasted some marshmallows. I didn't get too many pics but here are a few.
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2013, 07:41 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Behind the Rocks

Saturday: Behind the Rocks. I didn't get many pictures as I spent most of the time spotting. Driver's in order: Jeremiah, Randy, Corbet, Clayton, Dan.
Attached Images

2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 03-17-2013, 08:00 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Green Day, Area BFE

Green Day on Thursday. Couple from the Durango Crew, Clayton & Jeremiah.
Attached Images

2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 03-17-2013, 08:23 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Moab Rim

Friday we ran Moab Rim (Scott, Steve, Clayton, Corbet)

Didn't take any wheeling pictures. Just on the hike after lunch at the top. Pictographs.
Attached Images

2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 03-17-2013, 08:59 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Dinosaur Tracks

Before leaving today I took Bridger to see some Dinosaur tracks. We went to the Poison Spider trailhead. If you look around you can find more up above the two main rock slabs described on the kiosk. There are also pictographs on the wall above.
Attached Images

2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 03-17-2013, 10:06 PM
Rising Sun Member

ahhh, waiting all weekend for this.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:15 AM
Club Treasurer

That was a great escape, and the best way to start the wheeling season. Thanks Scott and Dave for your hard work and especially thanks to Corbet for stepping up to learn Behind the Rocks for Cruise Moab leading.

I learned a lot about my truck and abilities as well as other rigs. It's good to have some idea of what to expect from any given driver/rig combo. Of course, then they always surprise you!

I took a whopping 2 pictures on BTR:

Jeremiah at the top of The Guardian

and Farnham at the bottom of the same feature

Awesome trip!

67 FJ40 LC Tan
94 RN101 PU Pewter
95 FZJ80 LC Red
99 UZJ100 LC Black
00 VZN185 4Runner Highlander Jade
00 VZN185 4Runner SR5 Desert Dune
Old 03-18-2013, 10:42 AM
Rising Sun Member

We had a good crew and good times. The repair on my front air air line at the diff didn't hold so I had no front locker. No a big deal. But, I found myself bouncing more than usual. I aired down as low as I have ever been. That didn't resolve it. So it's either my older tires or suspension mods I have done lately. I will be working on that.

We didn't speed run multiple trails in a day. Instead, per Corbet's suggestion, we took our time and ran the trails thoroughly. Paying attention to trouble spots, proper lines to take, how different vehicles behaved and where the side hikes are etc.

I took a crew up Moab Rim Fri. as another group ran Cliff Hanger. We identified another optional hike on Moab Rim to see all the Pictographs. I think that will make for a great trail run.

Dave had a brake line issues on Cliff Hanger but got off the trail fine and had it repaired by the next morning.

Sat. we ran Behind the Rocks and made a day of it. The first obstacle was a little challenging. But, we figured out the proper line. We turned around at the top of White Knuckle, ran part way back then hit the dunes on the way out. That is a good way to make that trail a good "difficult" run.

We didn't get to run Flat Iron Mesa. But, we will have Neil ask the BLM to put it on the trail list for next year and work it at next's years pre-run.

Dan K. took Farham and I out the Delores Triangle road to Junction. That was fun. Then we got caught up in snow storms and havoc on Vail pass and the on the Eisenhower tunnel. That wasn't very fun but we all got through. Just big delays, accidents and truckers not putting their chains on until they spun out and partially blocked the road.

A big thanks to Dave and Idelle for making all those breakfast burritos. They were great. Thanks to Corbet's Durango Crew for coming out and working on the trails. They were well prepared and will be very valuable as trail leaders and gunners.

I also took very few pictures. Here is one of Corbet's dog. He had an accident and a trail repair was needed at the trailhead of Moab Rim. The 3rd one is Dave K. running up Hummer Hill.
Attached Images

Old 03-18-2013, 05:05 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

When we got from the BTR run, Adam and Jenna were parked by the motorhome. Turns out they had broken a sway bar on their 4Runner and were waiting for folks to come back. We took them down to the play area at the bottom of BFE and let them play in Meanie. As you can tell from their smiles, we think they had a good time. We even got Jenna to drink whiskey later that night around the campfire, so were training them right.

It was a REAL joy going over the pass and tunnel in a motor home pulling a car trailer in those conditions. I hope we never have to do that again. I was going super slow and didn't have any problems, but there were several near misses from cars driving way too fast and sliding all over.
Attached Images

Randy Rosetta KDKWX TLCA #19351 69 FJ40 "Meanie" & 1970 Boss 302 Mustang
Old 03-18-2013, 05:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

Glad you made it back safe Randy and didn't have to come to a stop on the ice like we did. The 2wd pickup near us couldn't get doing again. I let the wrecker help him.