Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-10-2013, 05:04 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamextreme View Post
. Collector plates require an e-test when you get them, never again (unless you let them expire).
that was old school collector plates. a few years ago, that changed. now, you do not need an e test at all. walk into dmv, tell them you want collector plates, walk out with the plates. however, you can only get collector plates for 75 and older vehicles now. before it was 25 years old or older.
ige tlca #1431
Old 03-10-2013, 05:23 PM
Lifted

^^ thats how it worked for me. i was told i was -only- obligated to have the safety features that came with the vehicle. seat belts, turn signals, etc. my rig doesn't really have any of those things anyways. nobody ever even looked at it. no vin verification required either.
metal from the scrap yard glued together in a garage in
Louisville and dragged around behind a F350 Diesel.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:24 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectre6000 View Post
I'd rather have the government inspect a rig I will be using on government-funded roads (taking care of assets on which money has been spent is as or more important than keeping spending in check in the first place) than paying the government extra money for privileges I'm not likely to enjoy.
government funded my ass. where do you think the gov't gets their money? we pay for our roads. and if the gov't based your emissions scores on the emissions you put out then fine, but they don't...they require you to have things on your rig because they were on the engine when they were built. they don't care if you pass the sniffer with flying colors...those parts arent there, you fail. to top it off, your car is being tested by some kid who probably doesn't even have a car himself. emissions testing is one big scam.
ige tlca #1431
Old 03-10-2013, 06:26 PM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearlemon View Post
emissions testing is one big scam.
Yup. NPR recently did a news story covering an audit of the program. basically the conclusion was that we sink hundreds of millions of dollars into the air care program, for what may be at best a 3% improvement that they can't effectively verify.

its a private contractor sucking down our tax dollars for no benefit to the greater public.
metal from the scrap yard glued together in a garage in
Louisville and dragged around behind a F350 Diesel.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:41 PM
Rising Sun Member

I have a 1970 40 with a 350 out of a 92 Buick. Sniff test was all that was needed and passed 3 years in a row, first two years standard plates and now I have collector plates. I do have the original vin plate on the truck. No cats required in 70, . I am injected and live in Douglas county.

I would say go for it if your putting a newer motor in your rig, you should not have any issues.

97 LX450
Old 03-11-2013, 11:00 AM
Lifted

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearlemon View Post
that was old school collector plates. a few years ago, that changed. now, you do not need an e test at all. walk into dmv, tell them you want collector plates, walk out with the plates. however, you can only get collector plates for 75 and older vehicles now. before it was 25 years old or older.
I knew they changed things, especially deleting the rolling 25 year rule (my 76 no longer qualifies, I'm never letting those collector plates expire!) but I didn't realize they no longer require an e-test even for the initial license. Either way, OP shouldn't have any issues regardless of what he does.