Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 03-22-2013, 12:28 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default New Bill signed today by Governor Hickenlooper

Big day in our family and for children involved in sports in our state. My sister-in-law, Michelle Peterson, is one of the top sexual abuse investigators and interviewers in the state.

She sponsored a bill that was signed into law today that makes coaches mandatory reporters when they see or hear of sexual abuse. This law should protect many children in our state from potential abuse, like the Sandusky case.

My son Ben was also there for the bill signing.

KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 03-22-2013, 12:41 PM
Hard Core 4+

Wow, I would have thought it was already mandatory! About time.
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:04 PM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

I had to read/sign a LONG form and watch an online video before I was allowed to coach this year. I had no idea this wasn't already mandatory. Fantastic that this is now signed into law.

Although, it's beyond sad that this even has to be talked about. You probably don't want to hear my take on what we should do to child predators. That's better left for the guns/hunting thread.

TLCA Social Media
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW

Last edited by Fishy; 03-22-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:06 PM

And.... thank you to your Sister-in-Law for championing this. I'm sure that's not an easy field to be involved in.

TLCA Social Media

Last edited by Fishy; 03-22-2013 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:33 PM
Rising Sun Member

The bill is a good step forward. They should have passed the proposed "Jessica's law" as well. It seems the current state government is just making token gestures that have no teeth. The recidivism rate of sexual predators is staggering. I think the 25 year minimum sentence proposed in "Jessica's law" would have done a lot more to stop predators.
At least they made a little progress.
TLCA#21035
My Cruiser videos on Youtube
Old 03-22-2013, 02:42 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowrun View Post
The bill is a good step forward. They should have passed the proposed "Jessica's law" as well. It seems the current state government is just making token gestures that have no teeth. The recidivism rate of sexual predators is staggering. I think the 25 year minimum sentence proposed in "Jessica's law" would have done a lot more to stop predators.
At least they made a little progress.
I wouldn't call today's law a token gesture. Reporting to authorities is the first "big step" to prevention of further abuse. In my sister-in-laws line of work, she has been called into countless situations where predators find access to children and youth sports is near the top of the list.

What it means is that no longer is a coach allowed to determine when something should or should not be reported. They have to report or face prosecution and it takes the pressure off of them to have any conflicts of interest. My wife is also mandated reporter in her practice, as a child therapist.

I am not sure about Jessica's law, but agree that if convicted, 25 years does not seem long enough. My wife says the experts in this field believe these people have no business re-entering society. They are not able to be cured.

There is a great seminar my wife organized for the parents of our children's school. It was really helpful, if anyone is interested, I can find the person's name that puts on the seminar.
KD0IFE

Off Road Pics
http://www.Chrissandstormfj.smugmug.com
Old 03-22-2013, 02:59 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribou Sandstorm View Post
I wouldn't call today's law a token gesture. Reporting to authorities is the first "big step" to prevention of further abuse. In my sister-in-laws line of work, she has been called into countless situations where predators find access to children and youth sports is near the top of the list.

What it means is that no longer is a coach allowed to determine when something should or should not be reported. They have to report or face prosecution and it takes the pressure off of them to have any conflicts of interest. My wife is also mandated reporter in her practice, as a child therapist.

I am not sure about Jessica's law, but agree that if convicted, 25 years does not seem long enough. My wife says the experts in this field believe these people have no business re-entering society. They are not able to be cured.

There is a great seminar my wife organized for the parents of our children's school. It was really helpful, if anyone is interested, I can find the person's name that puts on the seminar.
I agree completely that this is a good law.
TLCA#21035
My Cruiser videos on Youtube
Old 03-22-2013, 03:33 PM

Coaching kids is serious stuff. I get so much more out of in than I put in, but I know it's important to stop talking and just listen to the kids. The last 5-10 minutes of practice is always just us sitting in a circle and talking. I always ask the kids if there is anything else they want to talk about after practice, just let me know.

They are very trusting at the 6-7 year old level. Even at the older ages, you're much more than just a coach.

My team went undefeated this year. I like to say the other teams just got outcoached

TLCA Social Media
Old 03-22-2013, 03:35 PM
Rising Sun Member

Honestly, I think we should let Fishy out hunting.

This is a good law. My wife is also a mandatory reporter. She did some time in the JeffCO DA's office while in Law School, and is now a Guardian Ad Lidem in Adams county.

This will further help get kids taken out of the home. FWIW, very few ChoMo's (that is prison slang for child molester) are not related to the child.

The unfortunate part is that when the child is being molested by their father, mother, aunt, uncle, grandparent, the case is nearly impossible to prosecute successfully, because kids are terrible witnesses, and generally, the child is the only witness to the crime. Kids automatically respond to an authoritative figure, and the defense attorneys are authoritative. The kid will change their testimony on the stand almost every time, or will forget what happened by the time they get to trial, and the perpetrator walks.

That said, complaints of sexual abuse will get the kids removed from the home by social services, which is a good step. But, unless the abuse is proved, the kids can end up right back in.

I also have some dark thoughts where I keep my version of justice for ChoMo's. I'll refrain from repeating.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 03-27-2013, 02:20 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Huh, interesting. I'm coaching 4yo's right now and they didn't mention anything about reporting when I signed up. I did have to fill out a quick background check deal, but that's it.. I guess the info I need will be forthcoming, when its determined I need it.

www.gamiviti.com