Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area

Old 12-02-2016, 09:00 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Default Trail Leader Training

Updated, Updated, Updated! -----(Post #18 has class details from Bill himself.)

This year's Trail Leader Training will be March 18-19, 2017 in Grand Junction. We'll need to head over the hill sometime on Friday the 17th. Class is limited/capped at 40 people...

Why?:

Since the inception of Cruise Moab, Rising Sun has taken “trail leading” very seriously. It’s my understanding that, back in the day, the Cruise Moab Committee would personally invite specific RS Members to lead trails. Not everyone was given the opportunity because the CM Founders knew that this position would either make or break the event. It’s because of them that we will be celebrating our 20th anniversary this coming year!

Over the years, “pre-runs” became the norm for the CM Trail Leader Training. Intimate familiarity with a specific trail is vitally important but it is NOT training. Changing the culture back to what it once was requires a standard. Therefore, we have commissioned Bill Burke.

What to expect?:

This is not a "Learn to drive" class nor is it a requirement to lead trails for Cruise Moab. It will be two full days of hands on training, driving, and scenarios. Registrants will receive training on all of Toyota’s 4wd systems from FJ40’s to present day. This will include instruction on “how to use them”, “when to use them”, and how to lead a new driver safely down a trail despite the location or time of year. Bill is a Subject Matter Expert and has spent the last 30 years training people how to offroad. He offers multiple training sessions throughout the year specifically tailored to suit the needs of the student, club, or organization. Depending on the need, fees for these classes are as follows:
  1. Private one-on one training is $1200. per person.
  2. On the road group training is $512.50 per vehicle.
  3. Professional trainer training is $1500 per day. (5 day class…$7,500)

The training that we will receive falls in between 2 & 3. Ideally, we would like all past, present, and future Trail Leaders to attend so that we’re all on the same page. It’s my belief that this is a sustainable training program that can be duplicated from time to time.

Cost?:

Drivers: All (10) driver spots are filled, please register as a passenger.

Passengers: $75.00
*Any participant that leads a trail for the 2017 Cruise Moab Event will have their tuition reimbursed on 5/6/17.

There are no "verbals" accepted!!! The only way you can secure a spot is by registering here: http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/paypal.shtml

Please state: "Trail Leader Training" in the PayPal description, post up here if you're planning to be a Driver or Passenger, and then email me your contact info. Travis (at) outerlimitsupply.com

**Accommodations:**

If you'd like to stay in a hotel we've reserved a block of rooms at the Grand Vista Hotel. There is a restaurant, lounge, pool/hot tub, and live entertainment 7 nights a week! Rooms are $55/night & you have a choice between a room with 2 double beds or 1 king. To receive this discount please mention that you're with the "Trail Leader Training" group. Otherwise, there is free camping out near the airport.

Here is Grand Vista's website: http://www.grandvistahotel.com/
www.outerlimitsupply.com | travis@outerlimitsupply.com

Last edited by baja1d; 01-05-2017 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:14 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

Default Trail Leader Training

Drivers:

1. Rising Sun Member
2. Steve Brady
3. Jackson (jps8460)
4. John (John657)
5. Bill Baker (Book Cliff Cruisers)
6. Bill Eirish (GoneMoab/NORAC)
7. Scott Howe (Wasatch President)
8. Ondrej Murin (COLORADO OFF ROAD ADVENTURE TOURS)
9. Dave Lyons (GoneMoab/NORAC)
10. Keith Gillespie

Passengers:
1. Travis Hurley (I can help shuttle people to GJ in my civic)
2. Art Volmer
3. Andy Lewien (Willing to drive if needed)
4. John Ferguson
5. Ben Blanton
6. Bryan Meenen (Wasatch Cruisers Treasurer)
7. Dave Steward (Wasatch Cruisers)
8. Evan (High Desert Cruisers)
9. Jake Wright
10. Mike Pando (Had to cancel)
11. Rachel Kaiser
12. Matt Farr
13. Greg Luer (RS President)
14. George MacKenzie (gjmack3)
15. Daniel Markofsky
16. Steve Crase
17. Brian (PhatFJ)
18. Scott Makee
www.outerlimitsupply.com | travis@outerlimitsupply.com

Last edited by baja1d; 03-11-2017 at 07:25 AM.
Old 12-02-2016, 04:30 PM
Rising Sun Member

Wow this is awesome! This training has value that extends far beyond Cruise Moab, what a cool opportunity.

05 525EXC, 06 TW200, 89 TW200, 09 TTR125, 07 TTR90

www.gamiviti.com

Old 12-02-2016, 07:54 PM
Rock Stacker

Awesome!

I've been busy with life lately and haven't been too active with Rising Sun BUT that's about to change!

I just signed up to be a driver! I'll be available to head down early if need be. I'll be on Transition Leave from the end of January until I get out of the Army on March 25th!!!

I will have a lot of free time this upcoming spring so please let me know if there is anything I can help with.

-Joe

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 12-03-2016, 07:13 AM
Rising Sun Member

I'm interested but I can't commit until sometime in January or early February. From my friends driving other brands of 4x4s, I've heard good things about Bill's classes. Of particular interest to me is picking lines for vehicles other than mine and recovery techniques.

Once I can commit, I'll be able to drive or ride depending on what the needs are.

Oh, and this year my truck will have sliders
1989 Honda Pacific Coast PC800 with custom fuel injection system - Had my fun, removed the EFI, back to carb until I electrify the bike
2004 Subaru Forester XT with 5MT and WRX suspension
KD7YBQ
TLCA #23604
Old 12-04-2016, 10:20 PM
Rising Sun Member

Will BB4WD be giving all participants Driver Training Certificates? That may be useful if anyone is hoping to lead trails at other events or even get a job as a trail guide in certain areas.

What does the fee cover? Any suggestions on CM paying for a portion of it since we'll be tasking these folks with being trail leaders at our largest event?

Most importantly, if someone is willing to write a story on this training for Toyota Trails, you'll be able to reimburse your wallet for the fees you have to shell out.

"A man's greatest strides are made without taking a single step"

Toyota Trails Magazine Managing Editor
OutdoorX4 Magazine Staff
100s in the Hills Co-Director
Old 12-05-2016, 09:07 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by baja1d View Post
My hope is that this training will bring in a lot of new Trail Leaders. I'd also like to call attention that this is Trail Leader Training...not Cruise Moab Trail Leader Training.
To your and Steve's point, I'm thinking about signing up (it would have to be as a passenger unless the 3-seat requirement is waved) primarily because I'm hoping to get my ducks in a row and become more active again. If that leads to CM so be it, but that's not the sole consideration.

"Hey Macarena!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-05-2016, 11:53 AM
Cruise Moab Committee

I'm really looking forward to this experience. I need to make the calendar happen and see if my truck will be ready or just me (need a winch yet).

A few points until Travis can chime in, as I understand it:
CM will be paying most of this, the fee is to help offset that and to encourage follow through.

This training is NOT required to be a Cruise Moab trail leader, CM trail leader approval is subject only to committee approval.

We're optimistic that this will help get new blood on the leader roster by offering potential leaders this opportunity. We're also trying to raise the general leadership quality to set Cruise Moab apart from so many other events.

If your an existing trail leader and have any interest in this, please raise your hand. The statement Travis made about letting the new folks fill in first reflects the goal of building out the list with new blood and his optimism that this event ends up full with a wait list. Travis will have final discretion about who goes based on the value to the event...

This should be fun!
Andy | Longmont | TLCA#22354
Follow CRUISE MOAB on Facebook
-1999 UZJ100 -Black, Ever Evolving, now with SLEE SHOCKS!!
-2001 Tacoma 2.7L Reg Cab 4x4 -Silver,my DD/all purpose truck, mild build so far.

-Kilo-Delta-Zero-Tango-Quebec-Tango-
Old 12-05-2016, 08:25 PM
Cruise Moab Chairman & RS Secretary

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimCOTaco View Post
I'm really looking forward to this experience. I need to make the calendar happen and see if my truck will be ready or just me (need a winch yet).

A few points until Travis can chime in, as I understand it:
CM will be paying most of this, the fee is to help offset that and to encourage follow through.

This training is NOT required to be a Cruise Moab trail leader, CM trail leader approval is subject only to committee approval.

We're optimistic that this will help get new blood on the leader roster by offering potential leaders this opportunity. We're also trying to raise the general leadership quality to set Cruise Moab apart from so many other events.

If your an existing trail leader and have any interest in this, please raise your hand. The statement Travis made about letting the new folks fill in first reflects the goal of building out the list with new blood and his optimism that this event ends up full with a wait list. Travis will have final discretion about who goes based on the value to the event...

This should be fun!
Andy nailed most of the stuff that people seemed to be missing.

Here's the thing: One of the things that sets Cruise Moab apart from other TLCA events is our guided trail runs, and especially the high quality of our trail leaders. We set the standard for TLCA events. This is an opportunity for us as a club to set that bar even higher.

From the early days of Cruise Moab, trail leaders are the cream of the crop, the best of the best from within our club (and Wasatch, thank you!). Leading a trail for Cruise Moab is a huge privilege and responsibility.

Over the past several years we have gotten away from Trail Leader Training and instead been simply doing preruns. As a committee, we are making a determined effort to steer our emphasis back to Leadership.

There's a big difference between simply knowing the trail and being a good driver in a built rig, and being a LEADER. That's what we, as a committee are emphasizing with this approach, and Travis has my full support in his approach to qualifying new leaders and re-qualifying existing Cruise Moab Trail leaders.
Rising Sun 4WD Club, TLCA #4063
http://american3dprinting.net/
Old 12-06-2016, 10:03 PM
Vice Commander

I'm pretty certain I can make this if there is room. Sounds like a great way to learn/grow.

Cheers!

2008 mall cruiser - aka Black Beauty - ramps good
84 FJ60 low gears, locked, fun, rebuilt-2FE - gone
1995 Toyota Camry, 4x4 at heart

"In God [i] trust. All others, bring data"
-E. Deming