Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 11-05-2016, 11:36 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default 3b fuel filter & priming pump questions

Hey all,

For those with diesel experience I'm seeking insight! Changed the fuel filter and went to prime the hand priming pump. The ones I've done before pop out a bit when you unscrew it, but this one feels like it has vacuum/suction behind it. I can pull it out & it sucks back against the pump if I let go. Any idea what might be going on here? Seconds question, if I bleed air out of the fuel system, do I I screw the injectors at the engine, or just above the pump itself? And lastly,do I need to put Teflon on the threads or anything, or is there a crush washer in there or something to keep it sealed?

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Abe
Old 11-05-2016, 02:44 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

There is a bleed nipple on the fuel filter. Unscrew that and then see if you get suction. when you are bleeding the system you use this nipple. no need to crack the injectors. You could but generally there isn't a need on the 3b. it will take a few extra cranks to push the fuel to the injector but no big deal.

if the primer pump doesn't pump it out the bleed nipple or it's being sucked back down the pump needs to be replaced.

No teflon tape anywhere in the system
TLCA#4180
Old 11-06-2016, 12:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks Wes!
probably a stupid follow up question, but is there no fuel pump other than the priming pump (bj46, 3b)? I've got a Fuel delivery issue for sure, but don't know where yet.

Thanks
Abe
Old 11-06-2016, 12:08 PM
Rising Sun Member

Never mind. The IP. I feel stupid... . Think maybe the Edic isn't working right
Old 11-06-2016, 01:36 PM
Rising Sun Member

Well a second pair of eyes helped me confirm that the Edic does look like it is working properly. So I'm back to no fuel delivery for some reason. Would a bad priming pump cause the truck to get no fuel at all?
Old 11-06-2016, 05:51 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

I doubt a bad priming pump would it just manually pumps fuel inline, either the IP would need to be rebuilt or your getting air in the system, or a fuel blockage.

all the edic does is over fuel on start up and cut the fuel when you turn off the key. you can remove it completely if you want and hook up a wilson style switch. Its basically and on and off for fuel.
TLCA#4180
Old 11-06-2016, 10:01 PM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesintl View Post
I doubt a bad priming pump would it just manually pumps fuel inline, either the IP would need to be rebuilt or your getting air in the system, or a fuel blockage.

all the edic does is over fuel on start up and cut the fuel when you turn off the key. you can remove it completely if you want and hook up a wilson style switch. Its basically and on and off for fuel.
Correct.

I would try replacing the primer pump first. If it lets air in, it won't run or will run like crap. There's a Bosch replacement that tons of auto parts stores will have, if not CMP. Bosch 2 447 010 038

If you removed the primer pump entirely you could still get it to run, but with a LOT of cranking (like 1/4 can of ether) to suck the fuel up from the tank to the IP. All the primer pump does it save you having to crank that long to get the fuel to the IP.

If you have fuel coming out of the bleeder at the IP, then crack the injectors and see if you're getting any fuel there. If no fuel, remove the EDIC arm entirely (just unhook it) and try again--if still no fuel--then the IP will need rebuilt. If you are getting fuel at the injectors, then you need to do more investigating, but if they are bone dry then you'll know that the IP isn't pumping at all.

That's how I would troubleshoot...

Dan
Old 11-12-2016, 09:31 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks guys! A new Bosch priming pump & an air bleed, and she is rocking & rolling again!