Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 03-29-2013, 11:14 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default OBDII computer programs and modification software

So, the old man had some issues with his Tacoma, and has been getting interested in possibly purchasing something to do more than just read and reset codes.

My scan tool will read, reset, and give freeze frame data, but cannot do real time monitoring.

In looking into a few options, I began seeing these types of programs pop up, and it piqued my interest.

http://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/toad/

Obviously, I'm not sure if this is a good choice or not, but both pops and I would be interested in something that can do both the diagnostic side, and possibly some ECU tuning (lots of superchargers in the family now, could be a fun project down the road).

Does anyone have recommendations? Something they've used/heard about? Stuff that is total garbage?

thefatkid (and others I'm sure) has a software package he uses at the dealer, and we were able to see in real time how my short and long term fuel trim were doing, my AFM readings, O2 readings etc...I'm sure the dealer program is big bucks, but that sort of capability is what we are looking for, and I like the idea of the computer based because I can save stuff for reference, and then go back and re-read.

Thanks!

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 03-29-2013, 11:21 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Isaac I have the Ultra Gauge II that you are welcome to borrow for an extended period of time. At only $60, it's actually pretty sweet what it does http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/index.htm

And I just bought a OBD2 WiFi cable. this one, in fact http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBD2-WiFi-OB...f2837a&vxp=mtr

But I haven't been able to get it to work yet, can't seem to hack the IP address, etc., but plan to spend an hour or so in the car tomorrow night with a laptop and try to get it working- all my laptops were at work this week, so it's been tabled until then. My longer term plan is to run all the real time monitoring and diagnostics from an iPhone. I've spent the last 2 weeks watching intake air temp, throttle position, and coolant temp on the Ultra Gauge, which really makes the commute a little more entertaining. I can't believe how hot my little commuter likes to run...

I think the App to get is called Rev, I have the free version but haven't popped for the pay one yet, still waiting on a functional OBD wifi setup. There are many others out there though, check the app store. And if you don't have an iphone, then you have even more options, from what I have heard.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-29-2013, 11:27 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Ok I just read that TOAD site, if it does all it says then it's worth the $77. Maybe not practical to have a laptop in the truck the whole time but cool enough for fiddling around?

www.gamiviti.com

Old 03-30-2013, 07:02 AM
Hard Core 4+

TOAD is $127 if you don't already have a cable. Is $50 right or high for a USB to OBD-II cable? I'm seriously interested because it claims it can talk OBD-I like 22R-E Toyotas, too. That would be cool. I've never really seen the utility of the little scan tools and endless menus with cryptic text. If you're gonna tune and diagnose, bring the laptop and do it right. Otherwise I don't need the distraction of knowing my MPG to the hundredth.

“Anyone who believes in indefinite growth in anything physical, on a physically finite planet, is either mad or an economist.” -- Kenneth E. Boulding
Old 03-30-2013, 09:06 AM
Rising Sun Member

I have a scan tool already.

Most of the lower end (mine was around 100) just read codes, and freeze frame data (9 or so values stored in the cars computer when the code is set).

It also came with a software package and I can plug it into my computer and download that data, and it has a program with details about individual codes, likely causes, etc...

However, after visiting with thefatkid about a problem on my 99, I saw the advantages of being able to watch what is going on in real time, and see all of the sensor inputs.

For example, my dads code on the 04 taco was P0171, Bank 1 Lean.

This has quite a few possible explanations: Bad or Dirty MAF, stuck throttle body, leaky injector, bad injector, bad O2 sensor, and a few others.

My reader simply told me what the long and short term fuel trim were at the time of the code. My software listed out the specs they should be (within + or - 15%), and since they were both above +15, I could see the reason for the code. However, that doesn't tell me WHY. If I could monitor everything in real time, I could see what he MAF and O2 sensors are doing so I could see if one of them was simply giving bogus values. I could also monitor the TPS and see if there were any issues with a sticking throttle body.

I had to do the ol guess and check. I reasoned that they live on a dirt road, and therefore it was a good possibility that the MAF was dirty. Sure enough, it was filthy. Cleaned it, but while I was in there, I noticed the throttle body had a ton of carbon inside it, so I removed and cleaned that was well.

Anyway, that is my interest in the extras. It really does allow for a much more in depth diagnosis, and, IMO, less time overall fixing an issue. To me, that is worth the added cost for the extras.

Baby Beast 2- 1999 4Runner SR5

Baby Beast -1987 4Runner SR5-Gone, but not forgotten

Generation Dead
Old 03-30-2013, 09:17 AM
Lifted

Pretty sure the obd-ii software I have on my phone reads via a Bluetooth connection has real time reading on a ton of different levels. No tuning though since I thought you really couldn't do a lot with the Tacoma ecu.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

I use AE on a laptop, but if you're just wanting to look at OBDII parameters in real time, take a look at the Torque app for your phone. For less than $50, total, you can have a set of gauges showing anyting the PCM can see. I use it all the time on my PowerStroke.

Mark

http://www.scaldeddog.com
Old 03-30-2013, 06:09 PM
Lifted

I don't know much about aftermarket OBD-II scanners. I don't have one worth anything at this point. I was looking at Techstream light (by Toyota) but that would be for work and could justify the $450 price tag. For the average person to use it would not be very cost effective.

As far as being able to "tune" a Toyota ECU, good luck. Toyota never released the information (language) to the pubic market. No aftermarket programmers can reflash a Toyota ECU at this time other then to install factory programs. Fuel and timing maps can not be changed by the end user at this point. This is why URD and other piggy backs are popular.
94 pickup in a pile of parts
Old 03-30-2013, 07:05 PM
Rising Sun Member

So this is just like turning my octane selector a click or two, right?
Old 03-30-2013, 08:02 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Only special people can tweak Toy ECU's and I dont know anyone that special. In order to change tune on Toy ECU's you need a piggy back computer. I really like Spit Second. BTW....URD rebadges Spit Second products. You can buy the cable off ebay and there is great free-ware diagnostics out there! You really need a laptop as even scan ware needs to data log so you can see what heppens when. Piggy Backs do not change ECU programming but rather they lie to the ECU, by altering sensor signals so the ECU compensates thus allowing you to tune. When building a new map you will have the ecu parameters on your screen AND the piggy backs spread sheet map on the screen. To properly tune you also need a wide band O2 sensor in place so you can see whats real and not what the ECU thinks it sees. Gadget is the guru when tuning Toyotas, especially 3.4's. Gadget is the owner of URD. He has sooooo much info written up and shared on line you can get one hell of an education in the process once your migraine goes away!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior