Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 03-30-2013, 08:36 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Glass handling safety thoughts

Funny thing, I often think I'm pretty safe and that whatever I'm doing is "just fine". I've probably only had 3 close calls in my life where I look back and say, "wow, that was not smart". Well, Friday was another one of those for me.
There was a large piece of glass that was up for grabs at work, and I thought I would take it home and use it as a whiteboard. Mind you, this is not the first time I've had a large piece of glass, and the previous one was larger and thicker than this one. I moved it probably three times, and never had an issue.

Long story short, I had a coworker helping me move this 4x8x.5" glass after work. It turned out I couldn't get it in the elevator, and I didn't want to risk tipping it down the stairs. I decided to bag it, so we moved it back from the elevator lobby back to the office. I stooped down to set my end down and my hand got pinched between the glass and the ground. I said, "hang on, I gotta slide my hand out".....that's when the full sheet exploded.

Both of us wound up with some pretty deep gashes, even from tempered glass. His shirt looked like a shotgun blast went through it, my pants were ripped, and both of our hands were bloody. I honestly had no idea. I had seen tempered glass break before, but it was always on cars, and never with much drama. This was COMPLETELY different. All I can say is wow....glad neither of us had our eyes open, and that our injuries were fairly insignificant. I probably should get 4 stitches in my leg, but some super glue seems to be doing the trick. I've also been picking glass shards out of my hair for two days..... That'll be the last time I work with tempered glass thinking that it's "safe" compared to plate. Full gloves, glasses, thick full sleeve shirts and pants. OSHA baby.
1974V8J40, 1992FJ80, 1985FJ60, 1971FJ55, 1978FJ40, 1974FJ40, 1997 LX450 all long gone.
KD0PZL
Old 03-30-2013, 09:59 PM
Hard Core 4+

Send a message via AIM to wesintl

cupcakes?

TLCA#4180
Old 03-30-2013, 10:10 PM
Rising Sun member

I left a Pyrex dish on the stove and accidentally turned the wrong burner on. Turned around and was doing something in the sink when it exploded, sending shards of hot glass everywhere. Luckily they just bounced off me, but some of them melted into the linoleum a little bit. Oops. Sorry to hear about your incident.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 04-01-2013, 10:24 AM
Hard Core 4+

Thanks for the safety warning!
Old 04-01-2013, 10:46 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by subzali View Post
I left a Pyrex dish on the stove and accidentally turned the wrong burner on. Turned around and was doing something in the sink when it exploded, sending shards of hot glass everywhere. Luckily they just bounced off me, but some of them melted into the linoleum a little bit. Oops. Sorry to hear about your incident.
We blew up a Pyrex in the oven once incorrectly following a recipe. It was quite the explosion. But I did some reading about them since I thought they were supposed to be able to handle temperature extremes better. Obviously nothing is totally perfect but the handed down knowledge probably originated from pre-WWII Pyrex.

Turns out Pyrex changed the bakeware about 60 years ago from the borosilicate glass to a tempered soda lime glass that's pretty good but not as good with thermal shock. Soda lime is better for impacts, which is why I figured they made the change. Or it might have been material shortages in WWII or that the inventor of borosilicate glass was German. I dunno.

Corning started Pyrex close to 100 years ago and they are the ones who made the change originally for whatever reason. Corning I believe still makes borosilicate glassware for labs and AFAIK European Pyrex goods (made by a different company) are still borosilicate.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 04-01-2013, 04:05 PM
Lifted

thats no fun! you must have chipped an edge. glad to hear you guys are (mostly) ok!
metal from the scrap yard glued together in a garage in
Louisville and dragged around behind a F350 Diesel.