Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 04-01-2013, 08:27 AM
Lifted

Default New here

Howdy!

I'm new to this forum, been around 4-wheeling and Toyotas in Colorado for about 15 years. I was involved with TTORA in Colorado early on... kind of fell away from that group as things evolved.

I had a '76 FJ40 in high school, sold it in college, got a '99 Tacoma, sold that 2 years ago for an '07 double cab Tacoma, but always missed the 40. This past weekend I finally found the right deal on another '40 and brought home a '77.

So, now the fun starts all over. My '76 was all original in great shape. This '77, not so much. The first priority is smog compliance. I'm looking for a picture of what I should have so I can figure out what's missing, but for sure the smog pump isn't there. Any help there or leads on equipment would be appreciated.

The next order of business is an oil leak from the front... perhaps timing cover? Any helpful hints there?

Third strange item is that it has fiberglass fenders and when they were installed it seems like the whole front clip is loose. The side panels don't attach to the tub or something?

There are a whole bunch of other little strange items to take care of (both mirrors are broken and point at the ground, windshield wipers don't work, missing the seat belt/brake warning light, etc. etc. etc.) but these things are the biggest I think.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

-Andrew
Old 04-01-2013, 08:40 AM
Rising Sun Member

Welcome!
Old 04-01-2013, 08:43 AM
Hard Core 4+

Welcome!

I'd be careful trying to fix too many little issues, that's how you create a big one. I'm a firm believer in the Cruiser Gods and that they don't like perfect trucks. Find some little thing that you can live with and gives your truck character and leave it broken as an offering.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 04-01-2013, 08:52 AM
Rising Sun member

Ha ha Dave, that's funny.

Welcome Firetacoma! I have a '77 as well, as do Crash, kurtnkeggar and nattybumppo on the forum here. We'll try to point you in the right direction.

For starters, can you post up your build date? I'd also be curious to see your frame number and engine number as well.

As always, pictures are helpful for any question you may have.

I have an okay writeup on '77 smog equipment here: I originally wrote it intending to do a desmog but have since decided against that approach.
http://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series...2f-desmog.html

You need to know if you're going after Federal emissions or California emissions. What are the colors of the emissions sticker on the under side of the hood? White letters on black or black letters on white?

That thread link has some diagrams scanned from the Haynes manual, which is actually pretty decent in a lot of respects to the '77 model year. So you should consider picking at least that manual up to take a look at. The Factory Service Manuals (FSM) are better for digging deeper into your truck.

Bring your rig out sometime! Our next meeting is this Wednesday at the Jeffco Fairgrounds!

1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
2000 Tundra Limited TRD 2UZ-FE SOLD
Old 04-01-2013, 09:32 AM
Lifted

Thanks for the welcome!

The imperfect thing is going to be rust... and the bad paint job. It's red over yellow. But for the price I paid (especially considering what they seem to be going for these days!), I think I got a good deal.

That said... it seems like I maybe should have looked into this emissions stuff a bit more seriously before i spent my dough. After reading that ih8mud thread and getting more than a little glossed over, I fear I may be in way over my head... if I can even figure out what I need, can I find the parts??!

I'll post up the build date, pictures, and other information this evening. A Haynes Manual and hopefully a FSM are on my short list. I'm not very mechanical but am anxious to learn!

I'd love to attend a meeting... unfortunately, 1st Wednesday of the month is also a Fire Department training night. Maybe sometime down the road!
Old 04-01-2013, 10:15 AM
Rising Sun member

you could probably borrow what you need to get by the emissions guys, and then purchase the rest as you find it.
1977 FJ40 2F "Brahma" + Lockright, tach, Warn 8274, FJ60 Power Steering, soon to lose the Sanden OBA to go back to factory emissions
1996 FZJ80 1FZ-FE factory lockers + Safari Turbo , CDL switch, cup holder, AATLAS1X leather, heated seats and JDM switches
Old 04-01-2013, 10:18 AM
Lifted

Hey Andrew. Definitely good group over here. Welcome.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:33 PM
Lifted

As promised, pictures!

July of 77 build. Not sure where the engine or frame numbers would be...

Is this federal or cal spec?

What I have and what I don't... Seem to be missing more than I have. Ugh.

This wiring also seems to be a mess... Lots of loose wires... Not sure why it runs!

Here is the complete ugly picture!

My son may appear to be a prisoner but he loves the thing!

Thanks for any and all help you can offer, right now I feel in very far over my head. Considering seeing if I can just register it at "my" cabin down south.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:07 PM
Hard Core 4+

Welcome
Old 04-01-2013, 06:36 PM
Rising Sun member

Looks like federal spec to me, I'll verify. Looks like you have a '78 carb on yours like I do, sorry about that. 77 carbs are hard to find apparently, but no necessary to pass smog. You should cap that tube on the drivers side though. I'll look and see if I have any extra caps, but you can find them at the auto parts store. What kind of fuel pump is on it? The frame number will match your VIN and is stamped on the front frame rail on the passenger side. The engine number is stamped behind the distributor on a flat on the engine block. Yours is later 77 like Kurt's and Sascha's

Cool