Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Hunting and Fishing

Old 02-02-2015, 12:10 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default North Carolina Wreck Diving

North Carolina Wreck Diving!
August 10-12, 2015

Come join me for 3 days of fabulous wreck diving off the North Carolina coast, August 10, 11 & 12, 2015! We will be diving out of Morehead City, NC with Olympus Dive Center. The scuba diving in North Carolina is an incredible experience, with water temperatures usually in excess of 80 degrees Fahrenheit and visibility in the 100 ft. range during August. The area off the North Carolina coast is referred to as the “Graveyard of the Atlantic”, and more than 2000 ships have sunk in these waters since they began keeping records in 1526!

There will be three full-day charters with 2 awesome wreck dives per day in the 90’-120’ range. Possible dive sites include the German U-boat U-352, lying in about 110 feet of water that was sunk by the Coast Guard Cutter “Icarus” on May 9, 1942, Papoose, a 412-foot tanker lying in 120 feet of water that was torpedoed by the U-124 in 1942, and many others. The wrecks are often frequented by Sand Tiger sharks which are always a thrilling encounter!!

This is considered “advanced” diving, and minimum diver requirements include:
• A minimum of 20 logged dives. Advanced Open Water Certification preferred. Experienced divers with Open Water Certification and required dives are accepted. At least 1 dive in the ocean to 70 feet or greater.
• At least 2 logged boat dives.
• At least 2 dives in the last 12 months. Minimum age for Full Day Charter is 15 years of age.

PADI specialty certifications can be done on this trip, including the Deep diver certification (3 dives) and the Wreck diver certification (4 dives). Get your EANX certification ahead of time if you don’t already have it! Please contact me for more information.

Price for the 3 days of diving is $390 and is booked through me. Tanks & weights are available for rent, and 30% Nitrox is available for purchase and is highly recommended for increased bottom time.

There are several local hotels in the Morehead City area within close driving distance to the dive shop. Best bet is to fly into either Raleigh-Durham, NC or Wilmington, NC and rent a car. Drive time from either location is about 2 hours.

Please call Gwen Wells, Travel Consultant at A-1 Scuba & Travel Aquatics Center, 303-789-2450, to make your travel arrangements! Space is limited to the first 8 divers, so don’t wait!

For more information about Olympus Dive Center and the dive sites, visit www.olympusdiving.com .

Please let me know if you have any questions. I look forward to diving with you again!

Chris Hatfield
720-230-6951
hatfieldcb@gmail.com