Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Hunting and Fishing

Notices

Old 08-20-2014, 12:13 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Local range recommendations?

Last week I did a little shooting with Dillen. I wasn't sure how she would take to it but she was all smiles and begging to go again. She shot a .22 rifle, .22 handgun, a Ruger M77 .223 and an AR-15 .223. She tried a Beretta shotgun on a skeet range but since the gun was almost longer than she is tall, she didn't take to that too much. Having never been on a skeet range before, I had a total blast.

She did amazingly well with the .22 rifle, M77 and AR but she had the most fun with the 22. I thought the M77 and AR would have scared her a bit more but once she realized she hit the 500m target before I did, she didn't want to give it up.

So, I'd like to find a good range with some decent rentals and a pleasant staff. I brain dumped her with what I knew while we were out there but I'd like her to take a range safety class.

Based on the all-knowing google, I've found 3 places relatively close to home in the metro area that have decent reviews (4 stars): BluCore in Lakewood, Silver Bullet in Wheat Ridge and Shoot Indoors in Broomfield. Shoot Indoors appears to be fairly new. Does anyone have any experience with any of those? Not sure if it matters but Silver Bullet offers a youth specific range class.

Any input would be appreciated.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:09 PM

I used to shoot at Silver Bullet often. It's a good range and has a great staff. I'd hesitate to take a new shooter there though cuz it's small and indoor. They let people shoot AKs and ARs in there and I can actually feel the concussion in my chest. It can be a little unnerving.

Shot at Blucore a few times. It's a little nicer and bigger so that might be a little less of an issue.

I usually take new shooters into the forest and setup a range. That way I can better control the environment and not worry about what other people may or may not be doing.

The range at Cherry Creek Reservoir is outdoors, has a great staff, and I think offers youth classes too. I think that might best suit your needs.
KEŘITH
Old 08-20-2014, 03:13 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I used to shoot at Silver Bullet often. It's a good range and has a great staff. I'd hesitate to take a new shooter there though cuz it's small and indoor. They let people shoot AKs and ARs in there and I can actually feel the concussion in my chest. It can be a little unnerving.

Shot at Blucore a few times. It's a little nicer and bigger so that might be a little less of an issue.

I usually take new shooters into the forest and setup a range. That way I can better control the environment and not worry about what other people may or may not be doing.

The range at Cherry Creek Reservoir is outdoors, has a great staff, and I think offers youth classes too. I think that might best suit your needs.
Thanks for the input. Would love to just head out into the forest but buying something for her right now isn't in the cards. I'd rather get some range time and rent for her. I'll take a peek at the res.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:16 PM

IMHO every person should own a Ruger 10-22. You could pick up one of those, ammo, and a few magazines for not much more than a few days at the range would cost.
KEŘITH