Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Cruise Moab > Cruise Moab - TLCA Sanctioned Event hosted by Rising Sun

Old 04-05-2013, 12:41 AM
Rock Stacker

Default bring my winch to Moab for me??

I have been searching for a winch, specifically a 9.5 XP-S for my short bus. Warn winches dont come up very often on Craigslist. I found one today on Craigslist-Denver, and im in Phoenix. Its a Warn 9.5 XP, so cable and roller fairlead. The seller says he bought it new a year ago and never used it, sold his FJ, and now it sits. Its a good deal, quite a bit under retail, and all I have to do is get some synthetic line and hawse fairlead.

So what im asking one of you guys is this. I will be attending Cruise Moab this year, arriving on Tuesday.(My 3rd Cruise Moab) I can deposit into your account or send you the $900, he said he will meet anywhere from Denver to Fort Collins(hes in Fort Collins). And you buy the winch for me and bring it to Moab as long as the winch looks and is what he says it is. It should look brand new if it never been installed.

This isnt a scam, and I know I can trust you guys. Ive been on 'mud for over 5 years so im legit, with the same username on that side of the board. I doubt one of you guys would try to pull something crazy either. If this is something one of you guys or gals could do, that would be awesome. I'll even let you help me drop the Slee shortbus and slip it in at Slickrock campground over a couple beers!! (kidding....kinda)

My trail assignments are the Wednesday for the overnighter with the Wasatch crew, Metal Masher on Friday, and Moab Rim on Saturday, and staying at the Hampton.

Let me know if one of you guys can help and I will tell the seller its a go and figure out the logistics of getting you the cash and the seller meeting you. He said he'd meet in Denver, so you wont have to travel at all.

Heres a shot of the winch off the ad. Anyone familiar with the 9.5 XP enough to know why the solenoid is centered over the drum and the 9.5 XP on the Warn website is off to the side? Just wondering.
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2013, 12:43 AM
Rock Stacker

heres a picture of the Warn 9.5 XP on the Warn website.
Attached Images

Old 04-05-2013, 02:41 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
Heres a shot of the winch off the ad. Anyone familiar with the 9.5 XP enough to know why the solenoid is centered over the drum and the 9.5 XP on the Warn website is off to the side? Just wondering.
Wish I could help with the delivery but alas I'm not Moab bound this year

As for the differences...It doesn't really look like the solenoid box is really mounted to the winch in the picture, just sort of sitting on top. Judging by the pictures Warn made some changes to the box from the version you are looking at buying to what they currently sell.

What would make me question the guy saying that it was never mounted/used is that the cable is on the drum sort of wonky...Certainly not on there fresh from the factory. I've never had a new winch so maybe the cable doesn't come spooled on and he just didn't do a very good job of getting it on the drum - since you are replacing it wtih syn I guess it doesn't much matter other than making sure the winch really is "new and unused"
TLCA #17037
'97 LX450 - aka "The Whale"
'97 FZJ80 Antique Sage AE #267, stock
12/74 FJ40, 2F, SM420, 4" Lift, ARBs, 33" MTRs

:

"...anything else i can do for you guys, how about i wash your car or mow your lawn while you figure out your firewall system? I am now boarderline insane/unibomber." Kipper

"That assumes I'm even capable of pulling and stabbing..." Jacket

"I really like having a detachable unit." Beater
Old 04-05-2013, 02:55 AM
Wincher

i am going through Denver the Tuesday before...may be able to help. Need to see how much crap and how many passengers I manage to load up
Old 04-05-2013, 03:33 AM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dankunz View Post
i am going through Denver the Tuesday before...may be able to help. Need to see how much crap and how many passengers I manage to load up
That's really nice of you. I would caution that if the guy wants to meet in Ft Collins, you're going to have to take 25 North from Denver. It can be an hour one way, or six hours one way depending on traffic.... Then you've got to make the deal and go South on 25 back to I-70.

I-25 North and South of Denver makes me want to punch a grizzly bear.

Xplore Colorado
OutdoorX4 Magazine Marketing/Editorial/Photography
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 04-05-2013, 06:54 AM
Hard Core 4+

The solenoid box wouldn't be mounted like that originally I don't think. The one Jeff sold me was mounted on the motor. But if the guy had it on a FJ Cruiser, it was maybe in an ARB and you have to remote mount the solenoids, usually on a pedestal above the bumper or sometimes people mount them under the hood.

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 04-05-2013, 08:23 AM
Hard Core 4+

going to be in Moab all week if you want.

that's a nice winch, same one I have
Old 04-05-2013, 08:48 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsair23 View Post
Certainly not on there fresh from the factory. I've never had a new winch so maybe the cable doesn't come spooled on "
i've had three new winches and on every one, the cable was spooled uniformly and tightly, held with a very heavy rubber band. it is possible he took the band off or it broke, the cable will unspool in that situation, but that looks very unspooled. also looks like the solenoid box may have been mounted (i'm looking at the two screw holes on the bottom of the bracket). could be just the picture, but the eyelet looks scuffed too. as jeff said, cable wouldn't be attached to winch, neither would the box.

are you sure he said never mounted? maybe it was mounted, but never used.
ige tlca #1431
Old 04-05-2013, 08:57 AM
Hard Core 4+

Another photo of it.
Attached Images

"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering." -- Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 04-05-2013, 10:59 AM
Rock Stacker

this is the way he worded it. "This is a never used Warn winch that I planned to put on my FJ cruiser but ended up selling my FJ and buying a F-150". I see what you all are saying. Its been unspooled, and the solenoid looks like its been mounted.

Still seems like a good deal right? I wouldnt ask anyone to drive to Fort Collins and back from Denver. I would insist he delivers it somewhere in Denver like he said in his ad.