Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > For Sale + Help > For Sale / Wanted

Notices

Old 05-22-2013, 11:54 AM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

I'm on my way over to General Air in Littleton. I have the URBs in my truck full time just in case. Call me if you're in that area. 717-580-five455

TLCA Social Media
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 05-23-2013, 08:28 AM
Rising Sun Member

If you are ever downtown ....

This morning I have meetings at 470 & University.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:38 AM
Rising Sun Member

Default I can help get them North...

I see that UB is on this list...I'm in Denver for work (lodo). I can meet in Lodo to get them up to L'ville if needed.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:11 PM
Cruise Moab Committee

Send a message via AIM to Hulk

Can you bring mine to the RS meeting on June 5th?
1996 FZJ80 TLCA #4189 WRDY
www.rustybrain.com/cruisers my Rising Sun bio Facebook Twitter Need satellite Internet? Check out: Exede Internet

If you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:38 PM
Rising Sun Event Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
Can you bring mine to the RS meeting on June 5th?
Absolutely. Sorry it's been so hard meeting up with everyone. I am off Thursday/Friday this week. We may do a family trip Friday through RMNP.

TLCA Social Media
100's in the Hills website
"What's that? I can't hear you over my heated seats"-KW
Old 06-07-2013, 09:28 AM
Rising Sun Member

I installed the URB's front and rear, one each. On the front there are three holes with captured nuts. I had not noticed that before. The front two hold the ARB Bumper. The rear one was unused. So using the thick washer that URB comes with as a spacer (it matches the ARB metal thickness) I mounted the URB in the rear and center frame locations, locating the URB about 2 inches further back, improving approach angle even more. I then ran a bolt in the front hole to secure the ARB. This would not be an ideal hook up location in water or mud, but for our type of wheeling it should be fine.

At the back of the truck the URB bolt was, as Stan predicted and said Shawn at Jonesy's had supplied some longer bolts for, with my factory hitch, was too short. Its a combination of the thicker URB washer and slightly shorter bolt. I had already replaced these bolts a few years ago due to rust (check yours) so I had good longer ones on hand to use.

This also got me thinking about the washers: Why use a thick washer with an internal diameter hole the same size as the 1/2" thick steel I was clamping. I'd already put them on the rear so I left it, but I omitted them in the front. Some web research suggests there is no reason and in fact downside to using a lock and flat washer in the same application (you lock to the bolt head or nut and to a flat washer that can slide on the clamped surface), and no reason at all to use a flat washer with an internal diameter hole the same as the 1/2" thick steel I was clamping. If the clamped material was thin and I wanted a larger clamping surface area or the material hole was larger diameter an I wanted to span it, then ye, a flat washer makes sense. http://www.boltscience.com/pages/faq.htm#11
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2013, 02:33 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

TimmBuck2's have been officially delivered as of today.
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 06-12-2013, 05:45 PM
Hard Core 4+

The reason to use a flat washer under a split washer is to prevent the lock washer from marring the mating surfaces and digging in. One, when this happens and peels off some paint or powder coat, it's a spot for rust to start. Second it can cause the split washer to uncurl, losing it's ability to act as a locking washer. We've all see this, when you take one off and it looks like a crescent moon.

Anyway, look at all the fasteners Toyota used originally, they almost all have captured lock and flat washers, so it's not a random thing. I suspect the uber thick washer is to spread the load off the bolt head. Several of the bolts ARB included with my bumper had the same sort of thick washers. Shrug.

One thing is fer sure, if the choice was to use a flat washer but not have total thread engagement (e.g. making the bolt too short, so to speak) against using one I would leave it out. A bolt that does not full engage all the threads is asking for trouble IMHO.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 06-17-2013, 10:47 PM
Rising Sun Member

A tragic news story today about a tow hook breaking loose. This was pulling a tree stump.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingne...ora?source=rss

Freak accident removing tree stump kills man in Aurora
Posted: 06/17/2013 01:59:21 PM MDT
Updated: 06/17/2013 02:58:09 PM MDT

By Kieran Nicholson
The Denver Post

A man died in a freak accident in Aurora on Monday morning when the hook of a tow strap hit him in the head.
The incident happened about 10:42 a.m. in the 1300 block of Scranton Street, according to the Aurora Police Department.
Police said a man was removing tree stumps from the front of a home by using an SUV and a tow strap.
The man had a strap hooked up to an International Scout and was attempting to dislodge a stump when the strap "disconnected," according to an Aurora police media release.
"The hook slung back toward the vehicle..." police said, "through the rear window and struck the driver in the back of the head."
The SUV then hit the front porch of a house across the street, rolling to a stop. A man sitting on the front porch at the time was injured.
The driver was taken to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead, police said.
The man on the porch has injuries that are not life-threatening.
Neither of the men were identified and police do not believe that any type of criminal or traffic charges will be filed.
The coroner's office will determine the official manner and cause of death after an autopsy.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:33 AM
Hard Core 4+

That's sad to hear. Wonder what happened, maybe trying to snatch with a tow strap, getting a run at the stump.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler