Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Notices

Old 04-11-2013, 09:20 PM
Rising Sun Commander

Oooo ooo- I know. Ever run Kane Creek? you know where the rope swing is? You could run the last mile of the trail backwards to get down there, would be super easy all loaded up... always wanted to camp down there some time. Plus, what a cool day hike it'd be heading down the creek, check out that rolled Jeep, etc. Drive south past BFE, down the big hill, past the rest area, past Hole in the Rock museum, then next right at the top of the hill.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 04-11-2013, 10:10 PM
Hard Core 4+

Tim, wouldn't that spot at the top of Kane be a bad place in the event of rain? I don't recall exactly where the site is but remember seeing people camped there.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 04-11-2013, 10:34 PM
Rising Sun Commander

I think it'd be awesome in the rain. It's higher up, compared to the rest of the trail at least. After you climb out of the river the last time, like 2 switchbacks from being back on the highway, it's that little nook to the left. There used to be a rope swing there? Plus there's lots of rocks around for protection from the wind, etc.

www.gamiviti.com

Old 04-12-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbet View Post
Is there something in Moab your specifically going for? Otherwise I'd personally consider heading further south or west and avoid the Moab crowds. There are not many secrets left in the Moab area for camping. I think the suggestion of Behind the Rocks is probably the best. If you strike out just goto Area BFE.

Lots of hiking down in Comb Wash, like Arch Canyon and far less people. Indian Creek? Or out in the Swell to the west. I love Moab like everyone else, and that's the problem now. No more pulling into Sand Flats Friday night and picking out your favorite spot.
Agreed on no more rolling into Sand Flats. One of my favorite spots is grouping of sites across from Slick Rock, the very northern spot in that group. Great wind protection and some shade and of course Slick Rock across the road. I have done the Porcupine Rim Loop twice starting from that site...that was in my younger days!
I'll have the wife, 11 yo son and 8 yo daughter in tow. Our plan is to hike around Arches and Canyonlands. We don't want to be too far from Moab as we will probably have dinner one night and buy some crap along Main Street.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:50 AM
Hard Core 4+

LOL! People have been complaining about the increasing crowds in Moab for decades. My first trip there was 1992, we road tripped from Cape Girardeau, MO in one shot, rode 2 days and turned around and hammered back for mid terms. Back then there was a mine tailings pile behind McDonald's that was probably low level radioactive and people were saying the same things, how it was getting too popular, ruined by all the hippie cyclists and climbers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribou Sandstorm View Post
I need to catch up with you sometime and look at a map, sounds like you have some gems to camp there. I was told by the BLM that that valley was Utah State lands.. But maybe I or the BLM were not in sync..

That area that is flat and open, where the 24 hour participants camp is the area I was referring to.
Yup, we are thinking of the same place. The race was permitted by the BLM since most of the BTR is BLM, but you might very well be right about there being state land trust property back there as well. I'm pretty sure about there being little pieces of private property tucked up by those bluffs, too.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 04-12-2013, 09:14 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
One of my favorite spots is grouping of sites across from Slick Rock, the very northern spot in that group. Great wind protection and some shade and of course Slick Rock across the road.
I proposed to Marianne in one of those very spots. We were down with our MTB tandem. Rode the Slickrock loop that weekend and Gemini Bridges.

My favorite group is cluster "E" where fins starts. Little quieter and some shade. And what we called "bar rock" a short hike out fins. Great drinking spot on a clear night. Oh the mountain biking days... When the full Slickrock loop only took 40min to ride. Probably kill me to do it today.
2004 Starcraft 10RT