Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Other Hobbies > Ham & CB Radio Corner

Old 06-30-2013, 03:56 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default HAM HELP at Courage Classic Bike Tour

As some of you know, my wife is in charge of The Courage Classic Bike Tour in Summit County. Typically the tour starts and ends in Leadville over three days.

The tour directors and staff communicate via Ham radio, set up by experienced ham operators who volunteer to ride with the tour directors and set up repeaters, etc. Due to Leadville high school being renovated this year, the entire tour is running out of Copper Mountain and is forcing two separate rides on Saturday, one around the copper triangle, and the other going to the top of Ute pass. Because of the two separate rides on Saturday, she is short about five ham volunteers this year to handle the two separate routes.

If any of the more experienced ham operators would like to volunteer, there is lodging provided in Copper Mountain Fri and Sat night, July 19th and 20th. I believe the lodging is somewhat dorm style, but it is right in the heart of Copper Mountain.

Here are the requirements passed along by one of the hams that volunteers every year:

50 watt radio
2 meters
Apers for mobile
HT portable hand radio
GPS modem /computer laptop
Another 50 watt if they do the GPS modem

This stuff doesn't really mean much to me, since I am not yet a ham operator, but is probably simple stuff? Volunteers will also get all meals free and a tour t-shirt.

If anyone is interested in spending an early Saturday morning and afternoon volunteering at the tour, PM me. I can get more info if necessary.

Thank you!
"Just because California does it, doesn't make it a good idea, or the right way to do it! If you like California so much, please move there. Don't make the rest of us live in the same HORROR!!!"
Old 06-30-2013, 05:49 PM
Hard Core 4+

Probably could help, I'll check the calendar and PM.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 06-30-2013, 08:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

Thanks, Dave. I'm sure if you were up there, she could have a few less experienced folks help as well since you are so knowledgeable! I will be up there for the weekend and I hope to ride on Saturday and Sunday in the tour.
"Just because California does it, doesn't make it a good idea, or the right way to do it! If you like California so much, please move there. Don't make the rest of us live in the same HORROR!!!"
Old 07-11-2013, 03:53 PM
Hard Core 4+

Bump to top. Still trying to nail down some stuff still up in the air to see if I can do this. Summer is packed full!

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler