Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 07-04-2006, 07:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default My Off-Road pop-up's Multi Axis coulper installed and tested

I had Oleg weld on my multi-axis coupler to my pop-up last week (and replace my timing belt). As usual, Oleg and his brother did outstanding work. He cut off the stock coupler and welded on a reciever tube and beefed it up as needed.

I ordered it from Adventure Trailers. http://www.adventuretrailers.com/acc...cessories.html A pintle hitch has a ton of slop. This one is nice and tight. In fact it's kind of a pain to hook up the trailer, because you have to have it lined up just right. This was the only one like this I found that was available in the US. Australia has several options, but they aren't available here. I'm pleased with it.

It's kind of a joke to sell an off road trailer like this that is capable of going over rough terrain (which it does nicely), with a standard ball hitch. I know these campers have only been on the market for a few years, but I was shocked that no one in the Kettelsen Campers "community", could either could suggest another hitch option or acknowledge that the standard ball won't flex much in relation to what the trailer is designed to do. When I took off the receiver\ball from the truck, held it in my hand, put in the trailer coupler and flexed it up. It would only pivot up about 10 degrees or so. Any kind of good size ditch or water bar in a forest road would tweak the coupler apart. Which would leave your trailer stranded until another coupler could be welded on (on the trail).

I tested it out this weekend. Even though this trailer is only a 10 footer, it feels quite wide (compared to the Runner) and long on the small forest roads. You pretty much have to have pre-run the trail and know it's trailer safe before proceeding. Worrying about backing it down a tight trail and finding a space large enough to turn around kind of freaks me out.

The trail near Winter Park that I was on started to get smaller and smaller and it was new to me, so I cut my losses and turned it around where I could. I don't believe the standard ball and hitch would have cut it here. The Marlin sure was helpful for this.

I guess I have never really tested the limits of a standard ball, so perhaps I'm wrong. But, it sure was a good feeling knowing I had it in this situation.
Attached Images

Old 07-04-2006, 09:26 PM
Wincher

Scott,
thats sweet, Oleg is the man. we was looking at this one http://www.fleetwoodrv.com/brandtomo...evolution&m=E2
but now i know where to get the coupler thing done at
thankx for sharing.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:24 AM
Hard Core 4+

Jeff, it looks like it mates to a standard 2" ballmount?
Pretty cool. Pricey... I might have to put my new plasma cutter to work on my popup. Its an old Viking, but it does the job. It has a lift kit...
KDěRCH
Bio Page
I'm that gun-totin', farm-raised, evangelical, pro-environment, OHV ridin'/drivin', Southern civil rights pro-labor Liberal yo' momma told you couldn't possibly exist.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:11 AM
Rock Stacker

I've never seen a coupler like that. That's great.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:15 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric
Scott,
thats sweet, Oleg is the man. we was looking at this one http://www.fleetwoodrv.com/brandtomo...evolution&m=E2
but now i know where to get the coupler thing done at
thankx for sharing.
That's a good one Ric. My friend bought the E1. It's more heavy duty and better made than mine (and has hot water). But, the trade off is extra weight and it's longer. The E2 would be way too large in my opinion for our Runner's. Especially if you wanted to take it off-road.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:18 AM
Rising Sun Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili
Jeff, it looks like it mates to a standard 2" ballmount?
Pretty cool. Pricey... I might have to put my new plasma cutter to work on my popup. Its an old Viking, but it does the job. It has a lift kit...
Joe\Jack\Bill or whatever your name is.

I'm not sure of your question. You must have 2" recievers on both ends for this coupler.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:22 AM
Wincher

Scott,
your right, humm guess I might have to add the Super Charger, we wont do anything this year, we are just doing research now, diffenatly want the runner to be able to pull the thing up hills.
well we still got time to figure it all out.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:31 AM
Rising Sun Member

I will have to evaluate this. I saw what Oleg did, my problem is the surge brake fluid resevoiur and the disable mechanism is right at the hitch where Oleg cut your old one off.
11 RX350
02 Kimberley Kamper

Old 07-05-2006, 09:36 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romer
I will have to evaluate this. I saw what Oleg did, my problem is the surge brake fluid resevoiur and the disable mechanism is right at the hitch where Oleg cut your old one off.
Huh. I thought our trailers had basically the same setup. Can't you re-locate them.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:49 PM
Rock Stacker

Send a message via MSN to Vic stuff Send a message via Yahoo to Vic stuff

Seriously looks nice, the main reason anyone at ketelsen didnt give you any more info is we can't, the trailer is not designed for "offroading" it was built in the mind that you would be going down a dirtroad and hit an occasional bump, going "offroad" technically will void some warranties. im not trying to defend our dealership, just tellin you that we are trying to cover our asses by not telling you how to take your trailer off the beaten path. trust me some of us know what it takes at the dealership to have an "offroad" trailers 1 guy has an older "Coleman Colorado" on 31" x-terrains, but he still wont take it "offroad" because he know it will be tore apart in a couple of years. Like i said we have to cover our asses and keep in mind the ability to now take it "offroad" is going to mean more basic maitenance. ie tightening screw more often, cabinets will take more of a beating, etc.

95 ZJ Limited - Yes its a Jeep, buit it sure does haul groceries well!