Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 05-22-2013, 08:25 PM
Hard Core 4+

Default Rough idle

So the 4runner has developed a rough Idle. More so after a long drive, like Moab or the Cabin. Has a hard time keeping idle when at higher elevation. For that matter at angles. Leaning towards Vacuum. Checked all the lines Sunday to find no breaks. Did hear a motor/noise run in the engine compartment that I've never hear before.

Thoughts/checks?

COLORADO: my "Monument in Green"
Old 05-22-2013, 08:47 PM
Hard Core 4+

I got nothing but did send a PM
1964 FJ40
1988 4Runner
Old 05-22-2013, 08:48 PM
Hard Core 4+

What do you mean motor/noise run?

Some things I'd check.
  • Do a valve lash adjustment
  • Tune-up, cap, rotor, plugs, air, clean the PCV and maybe replace the fuel filter
  • Check the throttle position sensor, clean the throttle body and maybe verify the IAC on the bottom is working (sometimes this can get tripped up if the coolant gets old & dirty or you have air bubbles in it)
  • Make sure the air intake tube does not have a cracked bellows (if you still have the stock one)
  • I would check carefully your vacuum lines and VSVs again, the one that controls the fuel pressure for one
More obscure stuff:
  • The cold start injector can leak and make the 22R-E run rich
  • Check the EGR by disabling it
  • O2 sensor and the coolant temp sensor

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 05-22-2013, 08:57 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInDenver View Post
What do you mean motor/noise run?

Some things I'd check.
  • Do a valve lash adjustment
  • Tune-up, cap, rotor, plugs, air, clean the PCV and maybe replace the fuel filter
  • Check the throttle position sensor, clean the throttle body and maybe verify the IAC on the bottom is working (sometimes this can get tripped up if the coolant gets old & dirty or you have air bubbles in it)
  • Make sure the air intake tube does not have a cracked bellows (if you still have the stock one)
  • I would check carefully your vacuum lines and VSVs again, the one that controls the fuel pressure for one
More obscure stuff:
  • The cold start injector can leak and make the 22R-E run rich
  • Check the EGR by disabling it
  • O2 sensor and the coolant temp sensor
Did a tune up before the wrenching day at Marcos. Cap, rotor, plugs and wires.

Fuel filter was replaced two years ago.

Replaced the Cold start a few years ago when at Proffitt's.

O2 is going out again. I.E light comes on at high RPM (goes away when let off the gas), seldomly happens.

Motor noise= don't know. Idling rough when at the top of the hill coming out of the property. A motor kicked in that I've never herd before. turned of the truck and it went away.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:05 PM
Hard Core 4+

Could the motor sound be something like the alternator or PS pump? Maybe one of them is failing, causing an intermittent drag on the engine. Stab in the dark on that since nothing is coming to mind that would be a motor. It's not like our trucks have ABS systems or anything.

BTW, there is also a timer that controls the cold start injector that can fail.

From the sound of it I might check the EGR and IAC, although an intermittent O2 light might be a clue. If the ECU is chasing a variable O2 feedback that would also explain the poor running at altitude.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 05-22-2013, 09:18 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Could the motor sound be something like the alternator or PS pump? Maybe one of them is failing, causing an intermittent drag on the engine. Stab in the dark on that since nothing is coming to mind that would be a motor. It's not like our trucks have ABS systems or anything.

BTW, there is also a timer that controls the cold start injector that can fail.

From the sound of it I might check the EGR and IAC, although an intermittent O2 light might be a clue. If the ECU is chasing a variable O2 feedback that would also explain the poor running at altitude.
Motor noise: Don't think so. Sound came from the passanger side, close to the firewall.

PCV was replaced in 06 IIRC. Though valve cover gasket is leaking. Maybe a cause of concern?

Old 05-22-2013, 09:26 PM
Hard Core 4+

I swap PCVs about every other oil change. I have two, a clean one goes in and I clean the other and set it aside.

Uh, gotcha. I have that sound but I only hear it after I shut the engine off. I'm not exactly sure what it is but my guess is the charcoal canister. Mine is more of a gurgle than motor, hard to describe. It continues for a minute or two and sounds like it's coming from behind the kick panel almost.

I'd still be checking the EGR, fuel pressure regulator and IAC. All of those are motors, sorta, vacuum or in the case of the IAC wax moves a diaphragm anyway. I bypassed the VSV for the fuel pressure regulator on mine since it was causing a funky idle, although running it from manifold vacuum also can make it oscillate. But at least it's consistent.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:32 PM
Rising Sun Member

maybe the coil is acting wonkey? does it have an ignition module?

Did you check all the grounds you could fine?
82 FJ40
Old 05-22-2013, 09:41 PM
Hard Core 4+

The 22R-E has pretty straightforward electronic ignition, it has a pickup amplifier sitting on top of the coil. The ignition advance is controlled by the ECU. To time it you jump the ECU into diagnostic mode and set the distributor to 5*BTDC.

BTW Perry, have you pulled the codes from the ECU? Any others besides the O2? I got a stumble years ago and the computer correctly figured out the coolant temp sensor (in the front of the intake under the thermostat) had failed.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:30 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
I swap PCVs about every other oil change. I have two, a clean one goes in and I clean the other and set it aside.

Uh, gotcha. I have that sound but I only hear it after I shut the engine off. I'm not exactly sure what it is but my guess is the charcoal canister. Mine is more of a gurgle than motor, hard to describe. It continues for a minute or two and sounds like it's coming from behind the kick panel almost.

I'd still be checking the EGR, fuel pressure regulator and IAC. All of those are motors, sorta, vacuum or in the case of the IAC wax moves a diaphragm anyway. I bypassed the VSV for the fuel pressure regulator on mine since it was causing a funky idle, although running it from manifold vacuum also can make it oscillate. But at least it's consistent.
Some good thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover67 View Post
maybe the coil is acting wonkey? does it have an ignition module?

Did you check all the grounds you could fine?
Haven't checked the grounds yet. Will do.

Quote:
The 22R-E has pretty straightforward electronic ignition, it has a pickup amplifier sitting on top of the coil. The ignition advance is controlled by the ECU. To time it you jump the ECU into diagnostic mode and set the distributor to 5*BTDC.

BTW Perry, have you pulled the codes from the ECU? Any others besides the O2? I got a stumble years ago and the computer correctly figured out the coolant temp sensor (in the front of the intake under the thermostat) had failed.
Have not pulled codes. guess I was assuming O2 by the way it was acting.