Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > 4Wheeling and Event Staging Area

Old 05-26-2013, 05:55 PM
Rising Sun Member

Send a message via AIM to Uncle Ben

Got Rollins Pass drifts broke all the way to "the gatekeeper" drift on Jenny Creek! Broke drifts more than 3 miles past the furthest tracks! Epic!
TLCA #3007
Northside!

Colorado Trail Patrol
Stay on the Trail!
I'm the God-fearing, gun-toting, American flag-waving, conservative you were warned about!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AxleIke View Post
I need an FJ40....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Chili View Post
Cruisers are superior
Old 05-26-2013, 07:01 PM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ben View Post
Got Rollins Pass drifts broke all the way to "the gatekeeper" drift on Jenny Creek! Broke drifts more than 3 miles past the furthest tracks! Epic!
Nice work, wish I coulda been there
1964 FJ40
1988 4Runner
Old 05-26-2013, 08:06 PM
Rising Sun Member

Default Dont trust ye old GPS for this one

Being on a time crunch to make it back by 8, thanks to my wonderful wife for being so gracious. when I learned that my GPS had lead me an an hour out of the way of the trail head. I had no choice but to throw in the towel. Be sure to turn off at Divide.

To those I was meeting, I'm very sorry, I tried to make contact several times. Hopefuly you all found it and had a good time!

the coordinates in Well's book are correct, you just have to use a real map to find it. The "Roads of Colorado" book of maps makes it very clear.

When I arrived at the nice lady's house in BFE, I apoligized and she replied with "did your GPS lead you here?" yes mam, "it's ok, happens all the time, have a good day, ps if your looking for the gulchs trail you're about an hour away in the other direction."

So, guess I should have planned a little better. beautiful scenery down there though.

Overall still better than being at work.
Old 05-26-2013, 09:38 PM
Rising Sun Member

JPS8460, We did eventually find Hacket Gulch, and later, Metberry gulch. We had a very similar experience to yours. The GPS kept leading us to private property with locked gates. It was frustrating. Sorry we were never able to link up. It took forever to get to the coordinates you gave us. But I guess you never made it there either. So, all well. Maybe next time.

Anyways, we got to Hacket Gulch and decided to run down it, since we were there. About half way my front left drives shaft exploded out of my dif into a thousand pieces. Managed to tie it up out of the way enough to be able to get out. Sleepy had to pull me out part of the way because my 4WD wasn't working any longer.
It was all fun and games till that happened at about 6. Just made it home at 9:30.
So now, I've got to try and get this fixed ASAP.
I think this will be the 5th or 6th time i've had to replace either one or both front drive shafts. It's just incredible to me how easily all that seems to fall apart. Feeling very frustrated at the moment.

TLCA #22468

2003 Tacoma TRD 4x4 4-Door

I would rather walk than drive anything that's 2WD.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:13 PM
Rising Sun Member

Give me a shout early tomorrow if you need some help. I'll pm you my number.
what is you rig? when you say drive shaft, I assume your talking about CV's?

Are you running really deep gears (4.88, 5.29)?

Do you have a gigantic lift?
Old 05-27-2013, 09:57 AM
Rising Sun Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps8460 View Post
Give me a shout early tomorrow if you need some help. I'll pm you my number.
what is you rig? when you say drive shaft, I assume your talking about CV's?

Are you running really deep gears (4.88, 5.29)?

Do you have a gigantic lift?
'03 Tacoma, V6, Stock gears, 4" lift.

And yes, it's a CV.

TLCA #22468

Old 05-27-2013, 10:40 AM
Wincher

Ironically Shotshell, it was those same breaking CV's that caused me to swap to a solid axle front. There is supposed to be a company making stronger ones now - I'll try to find where that was since it would be much cheaper to get stronger CV's.

I'm happy, at least I got to climb Hacket Rock. Brings back tons of memories. When we finally got out, I realized the turn that I missed to get us back to the gulches without anybody trespassing :-)

At least people were trying to be helpful. I'm sure everyone coming up to your gate gets old...

All in all, it was a good day. I got to spend the whole day with my son.

Now to get a new microphone for my CB so someone can understand me.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:49 AM
Rising Sun Member

Sleepy,I love your rig. That thing rocks.

As soon as I got up this morning I started looking into solid front axle swaps. Turns out iI'm gonna be into it for ~$6000 if I go that route. Which mean it won't be happening any time soon. But I know that's what really needs to happen if I'm going to be serious about off-roading.

Thanks again for pulling me out of there yesterday.

TLCA #22468

Old 05-27-2013, 11:29 AM
Wincher

Thanks for the compliment. No problem getting out - we all go in, we all come out :-)

I hear you on the axle swap cost. To be honest, find a used 84-5 4runner and work up from there. It already has all of the basics you need and you can keep the milder truck for snow and work. All in hindsight :-)
Old 05-28-2013, 07:47 PM
Rising Sun Member

I may have figured out why my CV axle pulled out this weekend.
I got a new one installed today. And while I was under the truck checking it out, I noticed that the two bolts that attache the rear of my front differential were not just loose...but MISSING all together. So, Apparently when the company that installed my lift were installing it, they must have either not tightened them down properly and they vibrated loose, or the bolts were never reinstalled during the rebuild.
Anyways, looks like it definitely helped to cause the problem. That's probably my mysterious "clunk" sound as well.
Also, looks like the bracket that the differential bolts to got bent this weekend as well. So now that I have two new bolts from the dealership, I can't install them because I can't get the holes to align. And for some reason Toyota decided it would be a good idea to engineer the bracket to be installed with an 11 or 12 mm hex key bolt.
So now I'm having to wait till I can find one of those.

Also, turns out that I crushed the case for the actuator on the back of the differential up against the frame. So now I've got to find a way to fix that. A new one is $350.00 Holy Crap!

What a mess....

TLCA #22468