Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Chit Chat

Old 05-28-2013, 07:02 AM
Rising Sun Member

X2 on the MT's. I ran AllPro springs all around on my 88 truck. They were pretty cheap and I never snapped em. Fairly flexy and I beat on em hard.

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: lift, locker.

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 05-28-2013, 09:14 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by breckrider60 View Post
From what ive read the after market ones are significantly better than stock especially off of a 20 year old truck? what are the odds I would snap them again? thanks for all the help
I don't think that is the case, the stock springs are usually too soft but otherwise good quality. Just that anything 25 years old that flexes will eventually fatigue. My feeling is that most aftermarket springs are either equal or lower quality. If I had to guess the reason yours failed is that your spring bushings are seized.

Finding a decent set of stock springs is you're best low buck, quick option at this point.

If you can do fabrication or want to have someone do the welding for you, going to 63" Chevy springs is an option. You usually need to drop the gas tank to weld on the front spring hanger. Don't forget to factor in that you'll need different shocks for them, too. Chevy springs travel more and by using your shocks as travel limiters you will ruin them.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 05-28-2013, 10:16 AM
Lifted

That's what I'd do too, replace stock springs to do right now, or 63's to do it right.

True, to do the 63's, you need to understand how shocks & bump stops work, be able to R&I your fuel tank, and weld. I think if you can't do that, maybe you should look for a JK like all the yuppies. In my opinion, Toyotas are superior vehicles because one can easily diagnose and fix oneself. Your really missing out if your afraid to do your own work, Toyotas are a pleasure to work on compared to most other manufactures.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:13 PM
Wincher

Default leaf springs

If i could get those from you that would be great I read the article you posted and that seems really interesting i wish i hadnt read it because i have so much i already want to do to this and that is now definitely on my list. I just dont have time because of my job planting season is pretty busy for me.
Old 05-28-2013, 07:16 PM
Wincher

Default leaf springs

And again thanks everybody for all the help i wasnt expecting to get this much help i didnt realize there were this many toyota enthusiasts in colorado. Im looking forward to going to a meeting soon!!!
Old 05-28-2013, 10:11 PM
Rising Sun Member

They're a bunch of old crusties but they're alright.

Kidding its an awesome group.

"Squishy"-1988 Red Hilux Standard frame, X-tra cab, locked F&R, 5.29's, 35" tires and a SAS. In Moab STOLEN

"Apollo"-1988, 1999 3.4L, Supercharged, 2.1" URD pulley, URD 7th injector, 2 1/2" Magnaflow exhaust, TO DO: lift, locker.

"Did you know the IFS was designed by Hitler himself to make the life of 4WD owners tough? Yeah, it's true, he saw a vision of the Devil and he told him to do it." -DaveInDenver
Old 05-29-2013, 05:27 AM
Lifted

Quote:
If i could get those from you that would be great I read the article you posted and that seems really interesting i wish i hadnt read it because i have so much i already want to do to this and that is now definitely on my list. I just dont have time because of my job planting season is pretty busy for me.
Sure. You can have all the hardware too in case you break more on the R&I except, I broke one of the U-bolts already. You'll have to come to my work to get them. Ramsey Auto Body in Lakewood, Colfax & Brentwood. I'll PM you my number, call before you come so I can make sure I'm not out to lunch.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:46 AM
Wincher

I have a '91 pickup. Rear leaf spring hangers are about 4' 3" apart. I installed Old Man Emu (OME) suspension last year. Ordered them from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters out of Utah. Quality suspension. I ordered the heavy but removed a leaf spring out of the stack to make it a medium. If I add a shell to the rear or extra weight I have the option of installing the remaining leaf spring to bring it back to heavy. If you have any questions call Kurt (phone number on website). Give him a few days to call you back.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:07 AM
Hard Core 4+

The springs on your '91 are longer than those on his 4Runner. FWIW, the factory springs from a 89-95 XtraCab work on some Tacomas (I think 96-97) and gives a little bit of lift and less sag.

OME suspension is nice, this is what I run, too. I started with mediums and added a leaf, but took it out. So I'm just running 6 leaf packs with a WilderNest camper. The reason you'd need the extra leaf would be if you carry a lot of weight and want to retain the full lift. That was why I had the 7th leaf, to be sure to clear 33" tires.

Now that I'm running 30" tires, I've never had an issue with clearance with regular medium packs at full payload (camper plus gear & passengers is 1,150 lbs). The OME packs have 3 main leaves and 3 progressive overloads, which is different than Toyota. They have 3 main leafs and one huge diving board overload. When you hit the factory spring limit you know it, the springs just about stop traveling unless you have a lot of weight in the bed.

Having that extra leaf in the OME pack made it ride pretty bad empty, which is mainly why I wanted to take it out.

"They say the test of literary power is whether a man can write an inscription. I say, 'Can he name a kitten?'" -- Samuel Butler
Old 05-29-2013, 11:57 AM
Hard Core 4+

Quote:
Originally Posted by breckrider60 View Post
one more question though do you i can get a set of goodrich all terrains for 900 for all 4 or goodrich mud terrains for 1100 which would you recommend?
I would not want to run MT's year round personally in CO.
2004 Starcraft 10RT