Rising Sun Member Forums  

Go Back   Rising Sun Member Forums > Toyota 4x4 > General Tech Forum

Old 01-17-2016, 08:25 AM
Hard Core 4+

Default Help me select a front light

I'm mounting up a ARB Sahara bar on my 100 this week and have a set of Hella 4000 Euro beam lamps to put inside the hoop. These are a driving beam and I am trying to decide what lamp I want to put into the middle open spot. I can choose from pencil, cornering, fog or another Euro driving beam.

I'm thinking about adding a fog beam for trail work and side spill, or a pencil beam for reach out and touch someone distance when nit driving in Iowa and the highway.

Thoughts on what you'd add and why? I'm certain I want three lamps up front for balance of ashthetics as much as light output.
1976 FJ40 with some stuff and some leaks

My 100 Series Land Cruiser Build Thread

My camping trailer build up thread.

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 01-17-2016, 12:52 PM
Hard Core 4+

I would go with whatever is going to be the brightest and most far-reaching. I added a couple of IPF driving lights to my ARB on the 60 and I really wish they were a lot brighter. The H4 upgrade I did on the stock headlights is much brighter, and the spots don't really add anything to the visibility.

put up some pics of the beam patterns once you get it all mounted up.

'85 FJ60
'91 Pickup
Old 01-17-2016, 08:57 PM
Hard Core 4+

Fog, your not going to drive over the top of your current driving lights. The fog will help to spot animals on the side of the road and give you more side lighting on the trail.
2004 Starcraft 10RT

Old 01-17-2016, 10:21 PM
Hard Core 4+

I had KC Daylighters (quite old) on my FJ40 and they would, indeed, light up a street sign 3 miles away. But, I would have much rather had a closer, wider beam to spot deer, ditches, and signs.

Desert racing would merit pencil beams (which is what I called this pattern, anyway), but on my FJ40, they were not really what I needed. Just my .02 worth, for sure.
Old 01-18-2016, 02:12 PM
Hard Core 4+

Leaning toward a center fog light. Thanks for the suggestions, I just gotta relook at the beam patterns for the cornering and fog light I know the centering is basically a fog close pattern with some throw.
1976 FJ40 with some stuff and some leaks

My 100 Series Land Cruiser Build Thread

My camping trailer build up thread.

2012 Toyota Sienna Minivan, fastest Toyota in the stable.

"You 80 guys are just a Sawzall away from nirvana." -Red Chili
Old 01-19-2016, 09:18 AM
Land Use Co-Coordinator

I have one euro beam and one cornering light. The cornering light (which is different than the fog pattern) puts out an amazing spread of light. I think you will love the extra close in pattern that either fog or cornering beam will add.

I recently did a 55w HID conversion on my Hella's and the difference is epic. I would suggest doing this prior to adding any additional lights.
TLCA #22702
Old 01-19-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindranger View Post
I have one euro beam and one cornering light. The cornering light (which is different than the fog pattern) puts out an amazing spread of light. I think you will love the extra close in pattern that either fog or cornering beam will add.

I recently did a 55w HID conversion on my Hella's and the difference is epic. I would suggest doing this prior to adding any additional lights.
35w would still give a ton of light with a much lower draw, and if it's an h3 fitting do h3c hids. They're shorter than normal hid bulbs and will keep the pattern closer to the halogen pattern.
2002 Tacoma DCab TRD, OME suspension, 1" Daystar Bodylift, ARB front bumper, Lightforce 170's, 20" led light bar, blacked out HID bixenon projectors, Slee Sliders, 33" Yoko's on FJCruiser wheels, TRD supercharger, exhaust, and trans cooler.

to do: snorkel, roof light bar, ARB fridge mounts in bed w power, hids in LightForce
Old 01-20-2016, 09:12 AM
Land Use Co-Coordinator

The 4000's run H1 bulbs, I don't think they offer the shorter length HID option for the H1's.
TLCA #22702
Old 01-20-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindranger View Post
The 4000's run H1 bulbs, I don't think they offer the shorter length HID option for the H1's.
Nope, they don't. Found another setup I'm trying that uses smaller round 35w ballasts if you have room inside the light to fit them.
2002 Tacoma DCab TRD, OME suspension, 1" Daystar Bodylift, ARB front bumper, Lightforce 170's, 20" led light bar, blacked out HID bixenon projectors, Slee Sliders, 33" Yoko's on FJCruiser wheels, TRD supercharger, exhaust, and trans cooler.

to do: snorkel, roof light bar, ARB fridge mounts in bed w power, hids in LightForce